The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2018, 01:09 AM   #26
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Has Cabelas lost there minds
No, they've always been that bad.
People just didn't see it after being wooed by the spectacle of their stores.
Old August 25, 2018, 05:29 AM   #27
Old 454

I buy my primers at the Tulsa gun show. Last year I bought Armscor primers for 100.00 per 5k. I bought a 25k primers. 10k SPP... 10k LPP and 5k SRP

I will never pay 50.00 for 1k primers.
Old August 25, 2018, 07:42 AM   #28
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Was in Cabelas picking up some projectiles and went over to check out primers...OMG.... 49.99 for 1k Winchester LP primers. Same for LRP ... they lost my business.
Yep, that is how I am. If a store has one or two things on which I don't like the price, I will never shop there again.
Old August 25, 2018, 08:42 AM   #29
jmorris

All they really want to sell is clothes, foot wear and Yeti coolers. That’s were the moneys at...

That said I bought many thousands of primers from them for $20/1000, before basspro bought them.
Old August 25, 2018, 09:46 AM   #30
Old 454

Bass pro sucks for reloading ... they gouge there customers
Old August 25, 2018, 11:22 AM   #31
Mike38

I bought three boxes (1000 count) of Winchester primers 6 months ago at a local gun show. $81 for the lot.
Old August 25, 2018, 01:04 PM   #32
FITASC

Quote:
Bass pro sucks for reloading ... they gouge there customers
No, they do not. If you WILLINGLY pay their price, it is not gouging. If you do not like their pricing model and do not buy from them, then there is no gouging.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 25, 2018, 06:34 PM   #33
1100 tac

"Yep, that is how I am. If a store has one or two things on which I don't like the price, I will never shop there again."
Old August 25, 2018, 07:53 PM   #34
disseminator

Went to Cabelas to get Deer License today and they have moved all the primers and powder behind the gun counter. Not digging that but whatever, I bought the last thousand Remington 2-1/2 LPP they had: $31.99
Old August 25, 2018, 08:04 PM   #35
Old 454

Sorry I disagree.. when you set prices way above market price to take advantage of your customers...that's gouging.

Only a customer that does not know better would buy primers at that price.
There counting on an inexperienced customer to pay that....
Old August 25, 2018, 08:11 PM   #36
FITASC

Quote:
Sorry I disagree.. when you set prices way above market price to take advantage of your customers...that's gouging.

Only a customer that does not know better would buy primers at that price.
There counting on an inexperienced customer to pay that....
If a customer WILLINGLY pays the asking price, it is NOT gouging, never was, never will be. If a customer, in this day and age of the internet can't make a few mouse clicks, that is on them.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9QEkw6_O6w
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 25, 2018, 09:06 PM   #37
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Having been back there a year or so ago, I would still opt for the Scheel's - THAT is a nice store
Yep, I go to Scheels more than anywhere else. Nice, intelligent people who actually know what they are talking about.
Old August 26, 2018, 06:52 AM   #38
rebs

Cabelas here in Cheektowaga has raised prices so high its pathetic. I stopped shopping there. MY local gun shop has better prices and more inventory. Maybe they are looking to get rid of reloading supplies and other gun related items. They raised the price of their Savage 12FV from 399.00 to 419.00.
Old August 26, 2018, 07:00 AM   #39
FITASC

If they are looking to make money to pay off debt, the high margins are on the name brand clothing, shoes and trinkets NOT on guns and ammo.
Old August 26, 2018, 07:21 AM   #40
LOLBELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
after equipment, set up, and components, its only after about 75 million rounds that you break even from just buying the ammo. LOL
If this is true you’re doing something VERY wrong. Either a very costly loading setup or getting factory loads for nearly nothing.
Old August 26, 2018, 07:46 AM   #41
D Michalak

Cabela's in Dundee, MI hasn't changed too much in the last 6 months. They did run out of primers for a couple months but last Sunday they had a full shelf of Federal primers at normal prices. They usually keep a good supply and selection of powder and the reloading section in general is very good. They have a huge selection of bullets, brass, dies, and accessories. They stock RCBS, Hornady, and Lee Presses, Kits and equipment as well as Frankford Arsenal, and Lyman. They often have sales with good prices for instance right now Nosler Partitions for 25.99. I have purchased a lot of items but mostly when they are on sale.
My 2 year old grandson loves the place so I go there often.
Old August 26, 2018, 09:01 AM   #42
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white eagle
I don't wonder at all. Their big business is camping gear, fishing equipment, and clothing.
All they need is baseball bats and golf clubs and they will become the new Dick's.
Old August 26, 2018, 09:07 AM   #43
pete2

I recently bought 5000 primers from Brownells. They had free haz mat and free shipping.
It was one of their one day deals. 5000 primers, 1 lb Titegroup and 1 lb of Power Pistol, total to my door was 216.00. Watch for their one day free shipping and haz mat.
Old August 26, 2018, 09:13 AM   #44
Bfglowkey

While big business can be frustrating, places like Cabs and BPS are what I refer to as "if all else fails try them" in supplies for reloading. Bullets...Online can be much more rewarding if your patient. Factor in shipping and suddenly the prices are closer then you think. I like those stores because you can touchy feely on items your on the fence about at a moments notice. That said I have purchased the S&B primers both Large and small cause the price was pretty good for 1k brick and they are very reliable performers.
Big business will always try and make big profits.
Old August 26, 2018, 09:37 AM   #45
Old 454

I order projectiles from everglades.. just ordered 2k 62 grain .224 ss109 for 195.00 and no shipping
Bass Pro...now Cabelas has lost my business.

It's a shame to Cabelas used to have some decent prices... now they are going the way of Bass Pro business model of over pricing everything
Old August 26, 2018, 12:03 PM   #46
ms6852

I had been looking for an 1886 lever action in 45/70 made by Pedersoli. On an out of town trip I stopped to walk around and rest and do some looking at a Cabelas. I saw in their gun library that they had an 1886 lever rifle and was labeled Pedersoli. Under closer inspection found out it was a Uberti. The cabala employee tried to convince me that Pedersoli was manufactured by Uberti. Now it was a beautiful rifle but the actions on Uberti's are not as smooth as Pedersoli's. I left the store and told employee and manager to get their facts straight...doubt that they will.

Last edited by ms6852; August 26, 2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old August 26, 2018, 12:07 PM   #47
ed308

Personally, I wouldn't buy Win primers at Cabelas even if they were $18 for 1000. Junk primers IMO. When you check online prices, Cabelas is less compared to Bass Pro. Varget is $32.99 at Cabelas but $39.99 at Basspro. Cabelas price isn't that different from other retail stores in my area. But Basspro's price is just ridiculous.
Old August 26, 2018, 02:23 PM   #48
B.L.E.

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't buy Win primers at Cabelas even if they were $18 for 1000. Junk primers IMO.
Does Winchester make special primers for Cabela's to sell?
In the past, when Cabela's mailed me a $20 off coupon for purchases of $100 or more, I took advantage of it to stock up on W209 primers. Otherwise, I buy them by the sleeve from a vendor at the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio, TX. in order to get a bulk discount.
Old August 26, 2018, 03:49 PM   #49
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed308 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't buy Win primers at Cabelas even if they were $18 for 1000. Junk primers IMO.
Really? I'd love to find them @ $28 a thousand like they used to be iffin I could. After tens and tens of thousands of rounds ignited with Winchester primers, I've yet to have even one Winchester primer fail. What was/is your issue with them?

As for prices, it seems locally that the price of powder and projectiles has crept up along with primers. A year ago, most places around here had primers for $3.95 for a sleeve of 100 and $35.00 a thousand. Now a sleeve is $4.50 and a case is $40.00. Most all of the powders I use have gone up about $2-$4 a pound. Unique used to $19.99, now it's $21.99. W231 used to be $21.99, now it's $23.99. H110 used to be $21.99, now its $24.99. IMR4227 used to be $25.99, now it's $29.99. Seems like a bigger jump than what they took during the shortage. Gonna hope someone comes out with something generic.......
Old August 26, 2018, 04:52 PM   #50
RC20

The local flyer has co Bass Pro and Cabella's on it now.

Havn't been by in a while to look at prices. Mostly its been primers. Their powder selection was sort of ok, but only 1 lb jugs and some rare 8 lb IMR4350.

The had the ZMAX bullets but those are gone.

I just get them on line at as good or better prices.