The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old October 15, 2019, 01:00 PM   #1
dahermit

Squibs-Powder Coated Bullets

Deleted.

Last edited by dahermit; October 15, 2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old October 15, 2019, 02:58 PM   #2
DukeConnor

Are you wet tumbling your brass ? If so are you deprimming before you tumble ?
Old October 15, 2019, 03:58 PM   #3
Grey_Lion

2.9 grains in a 38 case leaves a LOT of air. I'm wondering if you're getting good ignition or anything like a full burn on that powder with so much space in that brass.

You might consider going to HP-38 for 2 reasons - more powder bulk, so less air, and HP-38 is often sited as being a "low temp" powder which is good to use with lead and might do better with PC rounds. It's what I use on my cast rounds.

Now by less air - I mean less of a chance that the low volume of powder isn't in a good position in the brass to fully ignite from a Fed 100 SPP primer. With that little powder it may all be hanging low in the case and you get a bad burn.

As for the primer - is it federal 100 or federal 200 or federal SPP magnum? That can make a difference given the relatively low volume of powder.

Last edited by Grey_Lion; October 15, 2019 at 04:03 PM. Reason: clarification of my meaning
Old October 15, 2019, 05:18 PM   #4
gwpercle

Pull a bullet on a round that's been loaded for a while and see what the powder / bullet base looks like . Could very well be a reaction going on.

Have you tried these loads with conventional lubricated or plated bullets ... Just to see if it's the coating / powder causing a reaction .

I don't use Clay's and I don't powder coat so I'm no help there .
Pulling a bullet might reveal something .
Gary
Old October 15, 2019, 05:38 PM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
Are you wet tumbling your brass ? If so are you deprimming before you tumble ?
As I stated in my post...note that I am not looking for a "remedy" as much as confirmation that there is negative interaction between Sky Blue powder coating and Clays powder.
Old October 15, 2019, 05:39 PM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
Pull a bullet on a round that's been loaded for a while and see what the powder / bullet base looks like . Could very well be a reaction going on.

Have you tried these loads with conventional lubricated or plated bullets ... Just to see if it's the coating / powder causing a reaction .

I don't use Clay's and I don't powder coat so I'm no help there .
Pulling a bullet might reveal something .
Gary
As I stated in my post...note that I am not looking for a "remedy" as much as confirmation that there is negative interaction between Sky Blue powder coating and Clays powder.
Old October 18, 2019, 12:13 PM   #7
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
Sorry , only trying to help .
Gary
Old November 11, 2019, 09:16 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Since the OP has been deleted, this thread has no question to answer, so I'll close it. I'll only add that most powder coatings are plastic resins and are unlikely to react with powder, especially not quickly, but placing one of these bullets in a small sample of the powder in a test tube and tucking it away in a dark place will tell you eventually and for certain.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Closed Thread