The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 3, 2012, 10:29 PM   #26
Rigmarol

After weeks of searching for a good source of information or someone to show me how to do this, I have thrown in the towel.

I tried to modify a new hand/spring assembly to see if I could "wing it" on my own and even though I worked on it very slow and carefully, I never even came close to getting it to turn the cylinder. It was quite frustrating not having the info I needed.

I did NOT modify any original parts or the new Kirst Konversion cylinders so no harm done.

I sent both Dragoons off to the gunsmith so it can be done right and I'll just have to accept the fact this is yet one more thing I can't do.

Thanks to those who tried to help out, I really do appreciate it.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:37 PM   #27
hoof hearted

Well I hope the smith you chose takes good care of you!
Let us know how it all works out.......

HH
Old December 4, 2012, 01:10 AM   #28
Rigmarol

I sent them off to Jay at Raven's Roost in Texas.
He was very helpful via the phone and email.
He should be getting them in another 3 days and he said he could turn them around in about 4 to 6 weeks which is FAR BETTER than what I could get locally.

I'll be sure to share how it all turns out.
Old December 4, 2012, 08:06 AM   #29
Missoura Don

I know ya been gettin good advice on this problem...But i'm gonna throw my 2 cents in for what its worth...Have ya checked the hand channel for a large burr, or deep tool marking that could be imparing the hand spring?
Old December 4, 2012, 11:57 PM   #30
Rigmarol

Quote:
I know ya been gettin good advice on this problem...But i'm gonna throw my 2 cents in for what its worth...Have ya checked the hand channel for a large burr, or deep tool marking that could be imparing the hand spring?
Yes sir I did. I disassembled completely and went over the channel area and looked for Burrs and rough spots and even foreign objects. I have a nice bench light with a 10" magnifying glass and found nothing that was getting in the way.

The original BP cylinder worked smooth and perfect. But the conversion cylinder just plain locks up.

I am fully expecting to hear that the ratchet on the conversion will need to be stoned or material removed. We'll see in a few weeks.

Thanks for the 2 cents! I appreciate it.
Old December 5, 2012, 12:20 AM   #31
hoof hearted

Rigamarol

This is the issue (as I explained previous in this thread):

The main culprit in your saga is that the ramp leading UP to the tooth of the ratchet is cut perpendicular to the face of the Kirst cylinder. This causes the hand to "stack" as it tries to push the cylinder forward as it turns the cylinder (has to do with the curved slot in the frame). Walt Kirst was over here a time or two ago and I pointed this out to him and he agrees that it needs to be addressed in future manufacture. I ALWAYS round this ramp with a dremel to ensure smooth cocking all the way through the hammer stoke and I assure you that I have not done a single conversion on a Walker or Dragoon that didn't need this.

I sure hope that your Smith is kind to you on the price as he will correct the issue in about 10 minutes with a sanding drum on a dremel.........
Old December 5, 2012, 04:35 PM   #32
Rigmarol

Quote:
I sure hope that your Smith is kind to you on the price as he will correct the issue in about 10 minutes with a sanding drum on a dremel.........
I'm having the the loading channel machined and refinished as well. He's given me a flat rate quote of $125.00 to fit the cylinder, cut the loading channel and refinish the bluing. I think that is very reasonable... since I couldn't do the fitting myself without the right knowledge and experience. It wasn't for lack of trying though. I prefer to do things myself but sometimes you just have to pay the man and move on.
Old December 5, 2012, 06:34 PM   #33
hoof hearted

OH.........OK

That is Kirst's standard installation charge and it includes those things exactly.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:49 PM   #34
Rigmarol

Yup, it is. And Jay is who gets the work if you buy installation when you you buy the konversion through Kirst.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:21 PM   #35
hoof hearted

I know.........I used to do their work.
Old December 6, 2012, 01:42 AM   #36
Rigmarol

I didn't know that! Small world.