The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 19, 2012, 03:57 AM   #1
bk688

Help in a buy...

First I was wondering what makes a weapon a class 3 weapon.

Next, I was wanting to purchase a Keltec RFB (bullpup .308 rifle). The overall length of the weapon is 26.1 inches. In my lovely state of Illinois (sarcasm) the legal minimum length of a rifle is 27 inches. Keltec sells but pad/length of pull spacers in packs of 3 that are .55 inches each. They install between the stock and the permanent but pad (the permanent one having to be unscrewed and reinstalled after the spacers are put in).

I haven't seen anything in the Illinois compiled statues that would make me believe that it wouldn't, but if the RFB being under 27 inches does not qualify as a class three weapon, does anyone know if leaving those but pad spacers permanently installed would suffice to accommodate Illinois law?
Old June 19, 2012, 09:59 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

What does "leaving those but sic pad spacers permanently installed" mean to you? Just not removing them? I ask because in those states that still have AWBs in their statutes, AR-15s with collapsible stocks are not allowed. I see ARs owned by friends in Connecticut (one of the states with an AWB on the books) and they have what appear to be collapsible stocks, so I asked. The sliding part of the stock has to be epoxied so that it CANNOT be adjusted before the rifle comes into Connecticut.

So, if your idea of "permanently" is just "I won't take them off," I suspect this might not be considered permanent.

However ... I have no first-hand knowledge of how Illinois might view this.
Old June 19, 2012, 10:19 AM   #3
bk688

perminatly installed

Epoxied would probably be a good idea so for future post, lets just assume that's what I'll do.
Old June 19, 2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
if the RFB being under 27 inches does not qualify as a class three weapon
When we say "Class 3," we're talking about Federal law, which places the minimum overall length at 26".

I'm not sure where you're getting 27", as 720 ILCS 5/24-1 specifies a minimum length of 26. As such, the rifle is legal as it is, unless there's some other clause.
Old June 19, 2012, 11:37 AM   #5
bk688

Duh!

Thanks Tom.

For some stupid reason I was thinking 27 wal the legal limit not 26. Your right; the weapon is legal as is. Now to actually finding a new one!