The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 7, 2012, 06:51 PM   #1
jimpeel

AZ shooting is mirror image of Martin/Zimmerman shooting

In this case the shooter was Black and the "victim" was a White Hispanic. The shooter is claiming self defense; and he has not been arrested. The dead guy's family is demanding justice. All that is is missing is the bounty on the shooter by a White supremacist group like the New Black Panther Party put out on Zimmerman and the mirror image will be complete.

The case is already being compared to the Martin/Zimmerman shooting.

SOURCE

Quote:
Daniel Adkins' killer claims self-defense: Unarmed man shot, killed outside Arizona Taco Bell
Written By Chicago News Report on Wednesday, April 4, 2012 | 4/04/2012 07:52:00 PM

In a case that is being compared to the Trayvon Martin shooting, a black man who shot and killed an unarmed man outside an Arizona restaurant is claiming self-defense.

<MORE>

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old April 7, 2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Frank Ettin
Staff

I don't much care what anyone else might be saying, but this situation in not at all comparable to the Zimmerman matter.

We have very little information on this shooting of Adkins, but as information can be provided, it may be discussed -- subject to the rules of this board.

But any comparison with the Zimmerman matter is a red herring, and discussion along that line is not to be pursued.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old April 7, 2012, 08:43 PM   #3
jimpeel

Sounds like I have trodden into a minefield. Haven't been following that "other case" here so I don't know what has been said. Doesn't sound like it went well at all.

More on this from the local news program: http://cofcc.org/2012/04/justice-for-daniel-adkins/

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

Last edited by jimpeel; April 7, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old April 7, 2012, 11:12 PM   #4
shortwave

Apparently, as stated by Arizona LE, not enough evidence for an arrest as of yet.
Old April 7, 2012, 11:38 PM   #5
jimpeel

This has not yet grown legs. The only sources I have found for this story are the two that I have posted; and one of those is in Chicago. I don't know why the press is giving this such a low profile; but I could guess.

Old April 8, 2012, 01:22 AM   #6
Jim March

Look...the really huge issue in the Zimmerman case is that Zimmerman pursued the guy he shot. That takes it completely out of the realm of "stand your ground" no matter what else happened.

The other thing we need to remember is, the various "stand your ground" laws (and yes, AZ has a local variant of sorts) is that they are a response to horrible legal system abuses against people who really did defend themselves legitimately. Three recent cases I know of off-hand are Larry Hickey and Harold Fish in Arizona and Gerald Ung in Philly. None of these three cases should have been prosecuted. Going back further there's the Gary Fadden incident in MA, which was so clear-cut as a self defense case it was downright shocking that it was prosecuted:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_112685749

These abuses radically outnumber the Zimmerman case, by an enormous amount.

We have to point this out at every opportunity.
Old April 8, 2012, 02:19 AM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I don't much care what anyone else might be saying, but this situation in not at all comparable to the Zimmerman matter.

We have very little information on this shooting of Adkins, but as information can be provided, it may be discussed -- subject to the rules of this board.

But any comparison with the Zimmerman matter is a red herring, and discussion along that line is not to be pursued.
Right, the only apparent parallels are that there was a conflict between to folks of different races where one was shot and killed and the other is claiming self defense and has not been arrested.

Unlike the Martin/Zimmerman shooting, there are witnesses who saw what happened. This was a chance encounter and Martin/Zimmerman was a forced encounter.

http://www.kpho.com/story/17347547/f...er-be-arrested.

Quote:
This has not yet grown legs. The only sources I have found for this story are the two that I have posted; and one of those is in Chicago. I don't know why the press is giving this such a low profile; but I could guess.
Grown legs? Okay, why a low profile?
Old April 9, 2012, 12:10 AM   #8
Frank Ettin
Staff

I said that we would not be discussing Zimmerman, and some folks started discussing Zimmerman. So much for this thread.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread