The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 4, 2010, 01:47 PM   #1
Dsensei4u

Walter PPK/S

Have a Walter PPK/S .22 cal serial number is 131326S. Can anybody tell me the year of manufacture ? Thanks !
Old October 4, 2010, 04:34 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

S&W...

For details about Walther handguns, I'd contact S&W. To my knowledge, Smith and Wesson bought Walther or got the entire US company rights.
Old October 5, 2010, 12:36 PM   #3
RJay

Your PPK/s was made for Walther by Manurhin between 1969 and 1984. Smith and Wesson has no records of firearms produced prior to their present contractual agreement. They also will not furnish parts or any warranty service on previous made Walther's. Clydefrog. Smith and Wesson had several production agreements with Walther but they are two separate entities, no corporate connection with each other at all. S&W would have to triple its holdings before it could even think about purchasing Walther. Haven't you noticed, it is the foreign countries, that are buying American companies now.
Old October 5, 2010, 01:00 PM   #4
bob.a

On my Walthers of the period, there's a 2 digit number stamped next to the proof mark in the ejector port area. that would be the year of manufacture, or at least of proofing. "68" is 1968, for example.