The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 13, 2009, 10:54 AM   #1
Ozzieman

Civil war COLT, Medal of Honor, Signed document from Pres Lincoln awarding the medal.

I need to research and hopefully find an expert on Civil War relics that can document a really nice collection.
I have not seen these yet so the information is sketchy. I am going up to his fathers home next weekend and will take pictures of the collection and try to find out more useful information.
I am not trying to buy this set since there is no way I can afford it nor is it for sale, but the problem is that they don’t have a clue as to its actual value which with a little research that I have done so far I am shocked at the possible value of the set,,, if its real.
The person that original owned the set is my friends grandfather and was a man of means (very wealthy) and very knowledgeable of firearms. This set contains the following items.

1. A very good condition Colt cap and ball revolver. (I am trying to find out what model and any other information on the gun.) I was told that the gun looks to be in exceptional condition and was never refinished. And was carried by the Civil war Medal of Honor winner during the war.

2. Medal of Honor won during the civil war.

3. The signed document from President Lincoln for the Medal of Honor with the serial number of the medal.
If any one knows of a professional expert on civil war relics that can research and perform an estimate of the value of the set for insurance purposes, please let me know.
Thank you for your help.
Old June 13, 2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Chipperman

Sounds cool.

The Medal and Certificate are easy enough to confirm, but how can you prove that the pistol was owned and carried by him?
Old June 13, 2009, 11:44 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Post at the Company of Military Historians website. Composed of museum directors, curators, academians, writers, collectors, hobbyists and ordinary people like myself, they've got experts in all aspects of militaria.
Old June 13, 2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Wildalaska

Here are your medal of Honour Citations

http://www.history.army.mil/moh.html

WildgoodluckAlaska TM
Old June 13, 2009, 12:33 PM   #5
Ozzieman

Thank you ever one.
I don’t need locations for locating medal honor winners, that I already have. What I am look for is information like 4V50 Gary is showing (thank you Gary).
Also since I have not seen any of it yet I have no proof or information on the pieces.
My question was original asked so that I can give them locations and people to contact for research and value of the collection.
I had the owner’s approval to place this thread here and after next weekend if I have his ok I will also share photos of the collection.
Since I AM a cap and ball revolver NUT I am extremely excited to see them.
Old June 13, 2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Contact your state museum and/or historical commission.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 13, 2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Wildalaska

Quote:
I don’t need locations for locating medal honor winners, that I already have. What I am look for is information like 4V50 Gary is showing (thank you Gary).
Really? Well perhaps when you see the items your first step would be to click on the link I took the trouble to give you and see if the text of your citiation matches the ones listed there.

Works pretty good I got a fraud smoked out that way

WildbutheywhyamieventryingAlaska ™
Old June 13, 2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Hawg

Contact Rafe Eledge at Shiloh Relics. He's a Civil War expert that does appraisals for Antiques Roadshow. If he can't help you he'll know somebody that can. He won't feed you a bunch of B.S. either. Whatever he tells you you can take to the bank.

Shiloh Civil War Relics
Rafael & Lori Eledge
230 Guinn Street
Savannah, Tennessee 38372
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 731-438-3541
Old June 13, 2009, 04:41 PM   #9
surg_res

Quote:
Also since I have not seen any of it yet I have no proof or information on the pieces.
Sounds like a whole lot of work without much to gain. I wouldn't waste time doing someone else's homework, especially without goods-in-hand. Further, I wouldn't waste the time of any antiquities experts under such circumstances.

Thanks for the link Wild, I just spent 30 minutes reading about medal of honor recipients--quite fascinating. Alvin York's story is still my all time favorite.
Old June 14, 2009, 07:56 PM   #10
Ozzieman

Sounds like a whole lot of work without much to gain.

Really? Well perhaps when you see the items your first step would be to click on the link I took the trouble to give you and see if the text of your citiation matches the ones listed there.

First off I am not looking for any kind of "gain" this is for a friend and research of this type I enjoy.
Since I had the name and date of the Medal of Honor winner I have already done a great deal of research. If he didn’t exist I wouldn’t be here asking for professionals.
I did not mean to offend any one and thank you for your help. I have already located his grave site on line and a great deal of information on the battle at Sailors creek. He won the medal for taking a confederate flag.
He is the great grand father of my friend’s mother.

Hawg Haggen Thank you, this is the kind of information I am looking for.
Old June 14, 2009, 10:45 PM   #11
Buzzcook

One thing you should look out for is that your medal of honor winner might not be listed.

During the Civil War many medals were handed out for things almost as trivial as re-enlisting. Somewhere around the turn of the century there was a reassessment of those awards, many of them were withdrawn.
Old June 15, 2009, 08:15 AM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Some of the withdrawn medals were also re-conferred.
Old June 15, 2009, 08:23 AM   #13
bigjack59

Just be careful with a pre WW1 MOH, some were given out by subordinate commanders, some by congress, some by reenlistment boards. It is not the same medal that Alvin York and Audie Murphy were awarded in many cases. Good luck on the research though, regardless, it will be interesting.
Old June 15, 2009, 11:48 AM   #14
Scorch

Sounds very nice.
Depending on condition, the Colt may be worth $3000 or more (significantly more!) because so few of them survived intact. The Lincoln signature just by itself can be worth a lot. As a set (award warrant, and the pistol with a letter from Colt, plus any other supporting documents that could be located), it would be worth a significant sum to a Civil War collector.

Just as an aside, it is a Federal crime to sell a CMH. Before trying to do so, you should consult an attorney.

Last edited by Scorch; June 15, 2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old June 15, 2009, 04:29 PM   #15
RJay

Sailors Creek, Also know as Saylors Creek ( Correct name ). Coren D. Davis, Pvt. 3rd Indiana Cavalry, 1864 at one of the wars last batles, Jumped over a barricade while riding a mule ( horse's were getting scarce ) , landed in a group of Confederate color bearers, plucked { captured sounds a whole lot better } up a regimental flag from a very surprised color bearer, and then old Coron decided he need to be some where else. A so very human story of the trials and tribulations of the Civil war.
Old June 15, 2009, 05:36 PM   #16
bigjack59

OzzieMan can you take a picture or type in the commendation and the soldier's name. The US Army lists a MOH going to a John Davis at Sailor (or Saylor) Creek in April of 1865. First step would be squaring the MOH with the recognized Army sources. Wild ALaska posted a link to their site. The are meticulous with the data and if it corresponds it would greatly aid the case for authenticity.
Old June 15, 2009, 05:37 PM   #17
bigjack59

Crap, make that THOMAS Davis. Here is what the Army Center for Military HIstory has on the soldier:

DAVIS, THOMAS

Rank and organization: Private, Company C, 2d New York Heavy Artillery. Place and date: At Sailors Creek, Va., 6 April 1865. Entered service at: New York. Birth: Wales. Date of issue: 3 May 1865. Citation: Capture of flag.
Old June 15, 2009, 07:21 PM   #18
Ozzieman

NORTON, JOHN R.

Rank and organization: Lieutenant, Company M, 1st New York (Lincoln) Cavalry. Place and date: At Sailors Creek, Va., 6 April 1865. Entered service at:------. Birth: Ontario County, N.Y. Date of issue: 3 May 1865. Citation: Capture of flag.
http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/civwarmz.html
Old June 15, 2009, 07:37 PM   #19
bigjack59

WIsh you could post a scan of that, it would be most interesting.
Old June 15, 2009, 07:50 PM   #20
mp25ds4

that sounds like a great collection and a very amazing part of history. Id be very interested to know how he got the medal of honor?
Old June 15, 2009, 09:36 PM   #21
RJay

Then there were a several Medal of Honors that was awarded for capturing a Confederate Flag. Coron Evans, Private, Company A, 3rd Indiana Cavalry at the Saylors ( or Sailors) Creek on 6 April 1865 also captured a flag. He captured the flag of the 26Th Virginia Cavalry. The part about the Mule is also correct, Grant had pushed his Army so hard that many of the horses had given out. The 3rd Cavalry requisitioned a number of local mules and old Coron was quite vocal in bragging about how his mule could out jump any horse. Too bad it wasn't Coron, he sounds like the type of G I that I would like to share a beer with. More colorful

Last edited by RJay; June 16, 2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old June 15, 2009, 10:51 PM   #22
Walter

Quote:
Ozzieman I need to research and hopefully find an expert on Civil War relics that can document a really nice collection.
I have not seen these yet so the information is sketchy. I am going up to his fathers home next weekend and will take pictures of the collection and try to find out more useful information.
I am not trying to buy this set since there is no way I can afford it nor is it for sale, but the problem is that they don’t have a clue as to its actual value which with a little research that I have done so far I am shocked at the possible value of the set,,, if its real.
The person that original owned the set is my friends grandfather and was a man of means (very wealthy) and very knowledgeable of firearms. This set contains the following items.

1. A very good condition Colt cap and ball revolver. (I am trying to find out what model and any other information on the gun.) I was told that the gun looks to be in exceptional condition and was never refinished. And was carried by the Civil war Medal of Honor winner during the war.

2. Medal of Honor won during the civil war.

3. The signed document from President Lincoln for the Medal of Honor with the serial number of the medal.
If any one knows of a professional expert on civil war relics that can research and perform an estimate of the value of the set for insurance purposes, please let me know.
Thank you for your help.
Yes. Pictures. Please.

Walter
Old June 15, 2009, 11:16 PM   #23
Buzzcook

Quote:
Some of the withdrawn medals were also re-conferred.
Yes to Buffalo Bill Cody and to Dr. Mary Walker.

The Battle of Saylor's Creek was the last battle of the war before Appomattox Courthouse.

If you take pictures, don't use a flash on the documents.
Old June 16, 2009, 05:45 PM   #24
Ozzieman

Being a bit of a photo expert I know about flash and old documents.
I am going up Friday on a fishing trip this weekend and will be taking photos of the set.
Hope to show them next week.
Again I want to thank every one for the help.
Old June 18, 2009, 06:00 PM   #25
Ozzieman

I apologize to every one, Friday’s fishing trip is off.
Due to health issues my friend can’t go up this weekend. We are still planning on the following weekend so I will have photos then.