The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 19, 2009, 12:35 PM   #1
FGColonel

Coyote Problem

I am having a major Coyote problem here in Kentucky. Last night about 10:30 they were howling within 20 ft of my house. As I exited the back door I saw at least two and it sounded like more as they headed for the woods. I live in a fairly populated residential area with neighbors near so a conventional firearm is not my best option for several reasons. My question... Is there a legal way to own a rifle with a compressor ( silencer) or is there some other type of firearm capable of bringing down the coyotes? Or….. does anyone know of other deterrents I could use?
Old March 19, 2009, 12:39 PM   #2
News Shooter

There are lots of guns that will take down coyotes. As far as a suppressor goes, you need to check your state law about legality.

And before you go off firing guns, you should make sure there is not a local ordinance about discharging firearms in your town
Old March 19, 2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Doyle

Find yourself a bowhunter and have him sit on your roof while you standby with a spotlight. No noise, no danger.
Old March 19, 2009, 12:55 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Bow hunter is a good way if legit. The H.O.A. is as bad as municipal laws...
worst come to worst I would put bacon grease soaked POLY sponges out. On your PROPERTY of course. When a deed needs dealt with there is always a means to an end. Death by constipation may not be fast and pretty but a man has to do what ever to get the job done. Any animal that trespasses is vulnerable so keep that in mind...
Brent
Old March 19, 2009, 01:00 PM   #5
FGColonel

I do not live within city limits, but I am sure there are still restrictions concerning discharging a firearm within distance of a occupied dwelling. I am an avid gun owner and hunter. I would not do anything that would remotely endanger a neighbor. My house is set a little away from others but definitely close enough to hear a shot. I back up to a large farm and would be shooting in that direction. Not only would I probably be breaking “some” law. I am sure the neighbors would not appreciate me discharging a firearm from my deck in the middle of the night. I understand this, I would not want them doing it because I have no idea what type of firearm training they have or how safe they would be. They probably feel the same way. The bow hunter idea my work. He would not have to get on the roof. I have an evleated deck that would be perfect. I could probably get by with a pellet gun. I am just not sure that would do the job.
Old March 19, 2009, 01:08 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The sponge idea is possible... The 1,000 FPS pellet rifle will work for a brainer within 20 yards or so... otherwise wound to die later is possible... Same difference as the sponge...
If an archer is used I would make sure he used "wal-mart" production arrows that cannot be traced to the shooter as shaft marks and fletch design is often "custom" to the shooter...
Brent
Old March 19, 2009, 01:19 PM   #7
wyobohunter

Or just talk to your neighbors about the problem. Maybe they are thinking the same thing as you are. Maybe you and the neighbors could figure out safe areas to fire at/through from each house. See how fast the problem goes away then!
Old March 19, 2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Hunter04

Set some traps and when you catch them use a baseball bat to solve your problem.
Old March 19, 2009, 01:23 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

AMEN WYO!!!!
Just open the discussion in such a way as you are the last to think of killin'! Let them open that dialogue!
Brent
Old March 19, 2009, 01:52 PM   #10
FGColonel

Been the “talk to the neighbor” route on a previous skunk problem he was having. They were denned ( is that a word) under his front porch and came out every night I offered to "eliminate" the problem. His wife insisted they be live trapped and moved to another area. The other few neighbors would probably be ok with me shooting something relatively quiet, one of them would be glad to help me. But this one would definitely be a problem.
Old March 19, 2009, 02:09 PM   #11
News Shooter

Have you thought about calling state game & fish? Coyotes are a problem for everyone and maybe they have a solution
Old March 19, 2009, 03:50 PM   #12
VaFisher

There are many different pellet guns on the market that would do the job just fine. In fact if you shoot a couple with a pellet gun and do not kill them the other yote's would more then like finish the job for you if they are hit good enough. After they know you are gunning for them they will stay clear for the most part.
Old March 19, 2009, 08:34 PM   #13
Big Bill

Quote:
There are many different pellet guns on the market that would do the job just fine.
Can you point me to one of those pellet guns? I've never seen one before.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old March 19, 2009, 08:43 PM   #14
roy reali

Simple

Wolves can not stand coyotes either. They are natural enemies. I saw a documentary on the wolves that were reintroduced into Yellowstone. There was some graphic footage of what they do to coyotes that venture to near to them.

So, have wolves introduced into your area. That might solve the coyote problem.
Old March 19, 2009, 08:51 PM   #15
THEZACHARIAS

Cabelas has a pretty good selection of air rifles. Havent compared their prices with other places (havent been in the market myself), but they have them in stock which is a plus. I keep seeing Gamo commercials everywhere, but I have no idea how good they are.
Old March 19, 2009, 09:51 PM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

You can do like my by-the-creek buddy did when they came howling and yodelling: Feed 'em. El Cheapo dog food. And danged if the howling didn't quit!
Old March 19, 2009, 10:49 PM   #17
mtnm

I used to like to her the coyotes sing because it ment no wolves. Until I learned the coyotes and wolves get along together sometimes.

The Game Warden, John McCain just told me we have no wolf - free zone in Idaho. We still have coyotes too...

I was riding fence for a rancher and coyotes were everywhere teasing..

I was told to shoot them because they get after cows when calving so I packed a pistol. No more coyotes. Whats with that, do they smell the gunpowder or what?
Old March 19, 2009, 11:44 PM   #18
roy reali

Get Along?

This video shows just how chummy wolves and coyotes can be. When I find it, I'll post the link to their "Kumbaya" video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v+fAoszVLRP6U
Old March 20, 2009, 12:08 AM   #19
Big Bill

I'd trap them and then lower the boom. No fuss - no muss. Just hope you don't catch all the neighborhood dogs and cats.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr

Last edited by Big Bill; March 20, 2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old March 20, 2009, 07:14 AM   #20
FGColonel

Thanks to all the input decided to go with the 22 idea. I went to my local shop, bought a box of CCI CB shorts thinking they would be the least disturbing to the neighbors. Around 8:30 (dusk here), I fixed a pot of coffee, loaded my little Ruger bolt action and manned a position at the kitchen table where I have a clear view or the area through the glass doors. For the first time in several days absolutely nothing happened. Did not see the first coyote. For the first time in a LONG time I did not even hear them howling. I am beginning to think they are smarter than we imagined. Do you think they may be reading this board too?
Old March 20, 2009, 10:52 AM   #21
News Shooter

Not to be a naysayer here, but even though you may not be annoying your neighbors with 22 shorts, you're not doing the Coyote any favors. If you're going to shoot them, shoot to kill. I'm not saying they won't kill a yote, but
it's going to have to be a hell of a shot, otherwise you're going to have a wounded animal roaming your neighborhood
Old March 20, 2009, 11:19 AM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

News Shooter... what is the difference in a coyote and an insect or rodent? Both of those are suffered a slow death routinely by both regular folks and professionals alike...
Brent
Old March 20, 2009, 01:48 PM   #23
mtnm

Quote:
I am beginning to think they are smarter than we imagined.
And thats just what happened to me when I carreid a coyote gun.

Its kinda too unbelievable a tale to tell...
Old March 23, 2009, 04:38 PM   #24
SilentSoul

I have never seen a coyote in person, nor do i know an awful lot about them, BUT i do know something that could be useful in this situation, i don't recall where, but i remember someone talking about that sort of pest problem, in an area where shooting or trapping was not possible, neighbors and domesticated animals abound, the smaller of which were actually being attacked by the coyote, the solution they found makes sense to me after reading this, they spread gun powder around the areas they were coming from, some residents spread it around their yards as well, for good measure

i assumed it worked for a similar reason we put black pepper out to keep stray cats and other little critters out of the garbage at night but maybe its the fact that coyote are smart enough to smell gun powder and think, i might get shot here.. or maybe they just have an aversion to the sent for another reason

just thought i would share, since it was just "hear say" from a camp fire story teller, i don't know how much truth there is, but its an idea, safer and cheaper than shooting them or otherwise probably

"If you want to save your eyes close them. If you want to save your life keep them open."-Unknown?
Old March 23, 2009, 04:49 PM   #25
wyobohunter

The buggers are smart

I routinely head out just after a fresh snowfall and follow tracks on my sled through the swamps. I can tell that they know I'm after them when the tracks change from a meandering patternless search for food to a beeline into a stand of black spruce (where I can't follow). They then pop out erratically and head for another stand. It means I have to circle the stand trying to pick up the tracks again, burning a lot of daylight in the process. Most times they get away...

Maybe you could find a nice shooting area just outside the neighborhood a bait them in for a shot? It seems like they are concentrating on your neighborhood so this might work. They are spread so far & wide here I'd be waiting for days, but you may have luck with this (assuming it's legal).