The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 29, 2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Fuzzymaster

New to BP pistols..What brands good and bad?

I have a black powder rifle, and I have looked at the pistols, but not to the point of looking to buy. I came into some extra cash and would like to get one. Even after reading Hawg Haggens experience! Are there any brands to strictly avoid, or is it a , get what you pay for thing.
I looked in Midway and saw about 100$ difference in Pietta and Uberti.
Thanks
Old January 29, 2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Raider2000

Umm unless you are looking at the difference in SS & Blued they are about the same price.

Midway's price for a Uberti 1858 NMA Blued Steel .44 caliber

Midways price for a Pietta 1858 NMA Blued Steel .44 caliber

I couldn't say much about Euroarms but from what I've heard they are very good quality as well, but between Uberti & Pietta the quality is about the same between the two right now I have both makers & with the Uberti having a slightly smaller grip compared to the Pietta "in the 1858 NMA revolvers that is" there really isn't much of a difference in the two.
Old January 29, 2009, 02:31 PM   #3
CraigC

They're both getting better all the time but I believe Uberti still has the edge in quality. My Pietta 1860's are good guns but they exhibit flaws I've never seen on a Uberti. Still an excellent value.
Old January 29, 2009, 05:55 PM   #4
Hawg

Lessee 300 bucks for a Uberti or 190 for a Pietta(on sale). I think I'd go with Pietta. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...817&hasJS=true
Old January 29, 2009, 06:22 PM   #5
Hoss Fly

I assume ya talkin new one so i aint even gonna say "Stay away from ASM"
IMO any modern shooter will do you fine
I'm with Hawg on the Uberti/Pietta decission
Old January 30, 2009, 12:20 AM   #6
Fingers McGee

I have numerous C&Bs from Pietta and Uberti. Have gotten good service from guns by each and have had problems with guns from each. I like the grip profile on the Ubertis better than the Piettas, although the GWII grip frame and grips work really well on a Pietta Navy.

You'll do alright with either. Buy what suits your fancy and pocket book.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 30, 2009, 12:45 AM   #7
Smokin_Gun

Nothin' wrong with ASM...

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old January 30, 2009, 01:08 AM   #8
kirpi97

Now I own every one of the cheap Italian models (ASM, Pietta) mentioned. I only meant that I own revolvers from each of the makers. Not every model ever made. My bad for not being more exact with my words. I will choose them better next time. As for my safe. I have two 14-gun safes, a small pistol safe, and six other revolvers that are not in a safe. And one in my truck. And I have not experienced a problem with them. Maybe I am too gentle with my revolvers. But I am not up to paying for an Uberti when a Pietta will do. Besides, for that extra hundred, I can get a lot of supplies.

But what I will say for Pietta is the size of the grip. I have long fingers and the other brand's grips are less comfortable. So I am replacing grips for comfort. I would have no hesitation with buying another Pietta.

Now if it is pistols Fuzzy is looking into pistols as opposed to revolvers, then a Lyman is the way to go if you want to pay the price. But I have found Traditions to work just fine.

My bottom line--buy what you can afford. Unless you are really into SASS or the re-enactments, you'll be happy with a Pietta. I know I am.

Last edited by kirpi97; January 31, 2009 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old January 30, 2009, 10:56 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

Quote:

SG
That's my experience to. All the makers have good ones and bad ones, with the possible exception of Pedersoli.
Old January 30, 2009, 12:04 PM   #10
mykeal

Pedersoli is not immune to quality escapes. They are perhaps a little more rare, but it won't take a long time to find a member of The Muzzleloader Forum who "will never have another #$%#@& Pedersoli as long as I live!".

Now, USFA might meet that lofty standard.
Old January 30, 2009, 01:54 PM   #11
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Quote smokin_gun:

SG
Quote:
Quote madcratebuilder:

That's my experience to. All the makers have good ones and bad ones, with the possible exception of Pedersoli.
Other than ASM is out of business and new ones are only available on the secondary market & parts are not easily obtained.

Quote:
Quote Kirpi97

Now if it is pistols Fuzzy is looking into pistols as opposed to revolvers, then a Lyman is the way to go if you want to pay the price. But I have found Traditions to work just fine.
I completely missed the fact that he has a BP rifle and is looking for a pistol - For single shot pistols, a Lyman or Pedersoli would be the way to go. Pedersoli's selection is varied enough that he could match style, caliber, and lock type to his rifle easily (unless it's one of them ugly modern in line types.) If he's on a budget, Traditions sells some decent single shot pistols also.

Quote:
Quote kirpi97:

Now I own every one of the cheap Italian models (ASM, Pietta) mentioned.
Every one????? How big is your gun safe????
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 30, 2009, 03:37 PM   #12
Hoss Fly

PHP Code:
Every one????? How big is your gun safe???? 
Cant have them all
I got two
Old January 30, 2009, 04:05 PM   #13
Deadguy

Both Pietta and Uberti make good stuff. Both (especially newer pistols) need a little work to shoot accurately too. Most have severly undersized chamberd compared to their groove depths. If you use a super soft pure lead ball, it just may obturate and shoot somewhat decently. If you use a heavier conical, that might not happen. That's the primary reason why people say that these guns shoot round balls much better than conicals. If you ream (or have someone else ream) the chambers to proper size, they'll shoot both round ball and conicals well. Also, if you plan on shooting a lot or competetively, such as CAS, you'll need Treso nipples. The Italian ones just aren't up to snuff.
Old January 30, 2009, 07:01 PM   #14
Hawg

Well he did mention Uberti and Pietta. I disagree about the chamber size on most being undersized. None of mine are.
Old January 30, 2009, 07:32 PM   #15
Hoss Fly

PHP Code:
Well he did mention Uberti and PiettaI disagree about the chamber size on most being undersizedNone of mine are.
Old January 30, 2009, 07:34 PM   #16
vdannyxman

black powder

Uberti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, and Thompson center,i i have two 44s 1867 replica (Uberti) revolvers matching stainless steel . stamped allen arms of santa fe nm matching set . shoot fine . 58 caliber big boar thompson center in oak . fired about 100 rounds, love them all !!
Old January 30, 2009, 07:36 PM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
Uberti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, and Thompson center,i i have two 44s 1867 replica (Uberti) revolvers matching stainless steel
What the heck does an 1867 look like?
Old January 30, 2009, 07:46 PM   #18
Hoss Fly

PHP Code:
What the heck does an 1867 look like?
Old January 30, 2009, 07:56 PM   #19
Fingers McGee

Quote:
i have two 44s 1867 replica (Uberti) revolvers matching stainless steel . stamped allen arms of santa fe nm matching set .
What models? 1860s? SS Allen firearms? Wanna sell em??

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Old January 30, 2009, 07:58 PM   #20
vdannyxman

ok ok

1858 remington geez had my numbers mixed up
Old January 30, 2009, 08:04 PM   #21
Fingers McGee

ok,

Rats

FM
Old January 30, 2009, 11:04 PM   #22
Blankwaffe

With my recent entry back into cap-n-ball revolvers after many years of not having one,my experience I guess could be considered very limited.
Of the three cap-n-ball revolvers Ive purchased in the last month,2 Uberti's and 1 Pietta,I have to say I personally feel the Uberti made replicas are of better quality from fit,finish and especially to overall function.The bores on the Uberti's are certainly much better finished as well as all the external surfaces to what I would expect to see on say a modern made S&W or Ruger.No heavy mill,grinder or broach marks etc..bores are bright and smooth on the Uberti's also.
Now like I said that is based solely on the three examples I personally owned recently as well as the many different models and brands I have eyeballed at dealers and shows over the last four months.
Personally the absolute best advice I could give on the subject is to go to a stocking dealer near you and personally inspect the model you want regardless of brand.That way you can inspect the revolver for issues before buying and cutout the possibility of damage during shipment,which I have experienced both issues recently buying online.
Regardless,I can personally tell you that the customer service from the folks importing/selling Pietta and Uberti are first rate,and they do stand behind thier products 100%.Both offer 1 year warranties.
So I'd guess it really comes down to the certain model you want.
HTH
Old January 31, 2009, 10:53 AM   #23
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Other than ASM is out of business and new ones are only available on the secondary market & parts are not easily obtained.
Are the ASM parts different from the Pietta or Uberti's? From the few dozen C&B's I have had apart it seems most of the manufacturers parts are very close to the same, with in similar models. May not be a drop in fit, but damn close. I do see a difference in quality and finish of parts.
Old January 31, 2009, 03:21 PM   #24
Hawg

Quote:
The bores on the Uberti's are certainly much better finished as well as all the external surfaces to what I would expect to see on say a modern made S&W or Ruger.No heavy mill,grinder or broach marks etc..bores are bright and smooth on the Uberti's also.
Show me where the fit and finish on this one isn't as good or better than a Uberti. Where's the heavy milling and grinding marks?
Old January 31, 2009, 03:37 PM   #25
grymster2007

I have two Piettas, purchased new and there were issues with both, but still an overall good value.