The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 27, 2000, 01:49 PM   #1
Hueco

Alright, coyote season is still going here in Missouri. As I am a ware of the damage these animals are doing, I dislike them enough to hunt them. I have posted a few times before with questions on hunting them, but I have a few more. I will be hunting with my 882SS .22 Mag, and will go for lung or neck shots only, keeping the range under 100 yards. My question is a broad one. Does anyone have any (or alot of) tips for me to get started (successfully)?

Hueco
Old March 27, 2000, 02:55 PM   #2
Reloader

Are you allowed to use electronic calls? what about camoflage? Or do you have to have orange? Also, wherever you hunt, give a courtesy call to the local game warden, so he will be aware and can prevent any trouble.He will also be an excellent source of information. Hope this helps.
Old March 27, 2000, 03:26 PM   #3
Hueco

Right, good call on me calling the warden -- I'll be sure to do that. As far as details on what I can use/wear, I am not sure an dwill be finding out soon. Thanks!

Hueco
Old March 27, 2000, 06:17 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

You might also go to the archives. We've had several backings-and-forthings on this.

More later, Art
Old March 27, 2000, 07:44 PM   #5
Randy Garrett

Hueco:

Your choice of the 22 Magnum is a good choice indeed. I have taken around 40 coyotes with the 22 Magnum over the years, and it seems to do a very good job as long as you place the bullet properly. I find that the hollow points for the caliber do not exit, and therefore do little pelt damage. Here in Washington, we can use electronic callers or mouth callers, and I find them both to be effective. However, the electronic caller has much better range. If you find yourself calling in an area where other predators are found, you just might get a surprise respondent to your call. I have called in six bobcats and one cougar, as well as two black bears. So depending upon the area, you can have some real surprises.

Best regards, Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com
Old March 28, 2000, 10:08 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Lessee: Regardless of what kind of caller you use, start loud and tone it down fairly soon. A coyote might not believe in a 400-pound rabbit!

I've used Burnham tapes, just letting them run for their length; I've also done the "blow and wait, blow and wait"--and I can't tell the difference in effectiveness. They either show up or don't show up, if they can hear you at all.

There's a good bit of info at http://www.varminthunter.com that might be worth browsing.

Regards, Art
Old March 28, 2000, 06:09 PM   #7
KenReb

Art
Could you verify the URL above, I can't seem to get connected.

Ken
Old March 29, 2000, 12:04 PM   #8
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Another good link: http://www.goodnet.com/~jhenry .

I can't vouch for the accuracy of Vic and John-Henry's info*, but it makes sense.

*: I'm scheduled to bust my coyote cherry the weekend of 22-23 April.
Old March 29, 2000, 08:18 PM   #9
Element

Coyotes cover alot of area in a short time, so just use your caller and wait for about 20min. and if no luck move on to a new sight.
As for camo, a gillisuit or sentblocker brakeup is best.
Goodluck!
Old March 29, 2000, 10:26 PM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Grovel, crawl...
http://www.varminter.com

Duh, Art