The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 5, 2000, 06:29 PM   #1
Nyterunner

Does anyone know anything about the effectiveness of the FN 5.7mm 31gr. round used in the P90? We are currently equipped with several P90s, and are supposed to be getting the 5.7mm pistol to replace our 40cals on tacops. I've seen what the round does on mild steel, but haven't seen ANYTHING regarding soft targets. I'm kinda leery of anything that small.....any help?
Old February 6, 2000, 09:50 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

There's not that much real-world activity yet with that firearm. It's new enough that operators using it are not under much public scrutiny. Supposedly it's in use by at least 15 countries now so it should be a matter of time before reports come in.
Not really an answer to your question but you might try using the search feature at the top right of the page as this round has been discussed in depth (in pistol forum, I believe)
Small Arms Review did an article and review on the P90 in the August 1998 issue, Vol 1 No. 11 that may be of some interest to you.
Old February 7, 2000, 01:45 AM   #3
John Hollister

The only real world use of the P90 that I am aware of was in Peru about two years ago. They were used on the assault against terrorists holding the Japanese Embassy.

You may want to research that campaign for ballistic results against people.

Sorry I couldn't provide more information for you.

John Hollister
Old February 7, 2000, 10:55 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I was going to mention the Japanese Embassy operation also but as far as I know that information is still under wraps. Would like to see their commentaries on weapons usage also.
Old February 11, 2000, 09:28 AM   #5
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

This is one of the most over hyped rounds I have ever seen.
It is supposed to be near .223 performance - but is more like a .22 Hornet... And out of a pistol - you bleed so much energy your lucky to get that much out of it. Out of the P90 - your getting the performance. Out of the pistol - your better off with a good old .45.

------------------
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some
moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!