The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 30, 2001, 10:15 AM   #1
3 gun

M44 at the range

TOOK MY "NEW" 1948 RUSSIAN M44 TO THE INDOOR RANGE MONDAY. PICKED IT UP SATURDAY AT THE AKRON GUN SHOW. A QUICK CLEANING SHOWED IT TO BE AN UNFIRED RIFLE. NICE STOCK, BEAUTIFUL DEEP BLUEING AND A SHINNY, SHARP BORE. THINGS WERE LOOKING GOOD FOR MY $93. SETTING UP A TARGET AT 25 YARDS, I SETTLED IN AT THE BENCH TO SEE HOW IT WOULD SHOOT. LINING UP THE LARGE CRISP SIGHTS, I STARTED TO TAKE UP THE CREEP IN THE TRIGGER. IT BROKE AT AROUND 6 LBS, NOT BAD FOR A MIL-SUP RIFLE. BOOM MY GOD WHAT WAS THAT! ARE WE BEING ATTACKED? WHY CAN'T I SEE? WHY IS EVERYONE LOOKING AT ME? WHAT HAPPENED?

Sorry about yelling. I was warned that I might not want to shoot this thing indoors. To say it's loud or has some muzzle flash would be like saying the Rockettes show a little leg. This thing make 3" 12ga slugs seem like a fun round off the bench. Wow what a hand full, and what fun! The next 4 rounds were just as loud and each left me blind for a moment, but when I looked down range I saw a small, ragged, single hole.

I have to say that at $93 I was wondering what kind of rifle my money was buying. I know now. What a deal! The workmanship is top notch. The ammo is powerful and inexpensive and the rifle shoots better than I had any right to expect. I really believe that 2" groups or less are a real possibility at 100 yards.

If you get the chance to pick up a M44 in great shape for less than $100, do it. You won't be sorry, unless you don't believe the warnings about shooting it indoors.
Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.
Old October 31, 2001, 10:16 AM   #2
Dead

Even on outdoor ranges those M44's get people looking at to what just went off. I was shooting one during a Marine League match at the range I generally shoot at, and WOW! Those marines were asking "what in the h%## are you shooting down there?" So I know for a fact that these things are LOUD if marines are asking me that. Was suprised that I hit the target at 300 yards with that thing also.