The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 6, 2012, 09:08 PM   #26
Kreyzhorse

I'd opt for a Nikon Prostaff or a Bushnell Banner series scope before I bought a Tasco. I've had good experience with both and have seen two Tasco scopes fail.

Your miles may of course vary.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:21 PM   #27
sc928porsche

The Tasco 3-9 will work fine on your 10/22. Being a 22lr. I doubt that you will be shooting beyond the range of the scope. The Tasco will stand up to the recoil on 30-06 so it should have no problem on your .22. I also doubt that clarity will be a problem either due to the range you will be shooting.

In the very early years, Tasco wasnt that good of a scope..........plastic tubes and bells. Bushnell took them over a little while back and their quality improved. Sure isnt going to hurt to put one on there for now. You may even decide to keep it on there.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:31 PM   #28
UtahGrouse

What about a BSA Sweet 22?

I have one on my MkII and it has worked well. Made for a .22, Adjustable parallax, elevation turret adjusts for distance calibrated to a .22.

There is one sale on Amazon for $40

http://www.amazon.com/BSA-Sweet-22-S.../dp/B000NJUPAS
Old November 7, 2012, 12:35 AM   #29
ltc444

Have a TASCO world Class mounted on my M-70 in 338 Win Mag. Holds zero and meets my needs.
Old November 7, 2012, 04:57 AM   #30
Keepin_Jeepin

sc928Porsche,

Thats kind of what I was thinking. I might pic up a tasco tomorrow and if I do I will post pictures. I am going to get the 50mm if I can get tall enough rings to hold it , strictly because it will look good.

Thanks for everyones input and I will give it a shot and report back. I talked to a few buddys we are going next sunday.

Justice06RR,

Thats really all I want to do is get out and shoot!
Old November 7, 2012, 05:53 AM   #31
kimbershot

get what you can afford, don't beat it up and put it on ebay when you want to move up. also--check out natchez shooters supply--a large variety of scopes in all price ranges. i've had several bsa sweet 22's--worked out great and sold them later after i moved on.
Old November 7, 2012, 12:00 PM   #32
Fusion

I'm surprised, but happy to see so many folks in this thread stating their experience rather than just being scope snobs.

That said, I've had a little bit of experience with these Tasco's in 3-9x40 as well as have a couple of hunting buddies that have used them in both the 40mm version and 50mm version.

The first one I bought was a little over 5 years ago. I had bought a cheap muzzle loader from a friend and had no idea if I would even like muzzle loading. So I wanted to get into it cheap in case I didn't like it. I topped the gun off with this Tasco Bucksight from Walmart that was $30 at the time. Got it zeroed and the gun shot amazingly well. I was really surprised by the groups. Anyway, took it hunting a time or two that year, but never really used it much. I probably shot it maybe 100 times during the off season, but not too much. Before the season the next year I made sure it was zeroed and took it out hunting. I killed a fairly large buck with it and was impressed. It seemed to hold zero well. I used it for the next several years too. It seems to have good glass, very similar to the Leupold VX-I that I was using on another gun at the time, holds zero, and just all out works well. I never did a box test on it, but I have my doubts that it would be repeatable, however, I wasn't using it for that.

The only time I ever had it lose zero was after I had sighted it in and let it sit at the house for months. I took it to the range a few months later, and it was a couple of inches off. Now, that said, I had taken the gun out of the stock to clean it as well. So I'm not sure if that was what made it shoot differently, if it had gotten bumped around, or what the deal was. I feel like it can't have been the scope since that is the only time I've ever had it lose zero, and it wasn't very far off then. I didn't use that gun this year, and haven't shot it in several months, but for the past 4 years the $30 Tasco has held up great, and I've killed a couple of deer with it. Including that first one that was fairly large, and since then a nice 11 pointer that is my largest deer yet. I really have no complaints about this scope. Now I would probably go with a nicer scope if I could afford it such as a Burris FFII, Vortex, etc. because then you get better glass and the peace of mind that it will probably be more reliable, but if I didn't have the cash for one of those, I'd not hesitate to run one of these Tasco scopes again. I also have to say, the glass is plenty good to get you well past legal hunting light.

The second one I had, was when I had my Leupold VX-I go bad for the first time in the middle of hunting season. I sent it in for repair, but I needed a scope for my 30-06 to finish hunting with. I bought one of these, mounted it on my 30-06, and shot it for the next month. It held up well, and did great as expected. Once I got my Leupold back after the season was over, I remounted it back on the gun and ended up selling the Tasco to a friend who still uses it to this day. This one is probably 4 years old.

So I've had good experiences, and while I do believe you can get better scopes in the $150-200 range, I would certainly run a Tasco from Walmart before not having a scope. I also don't find them to be nearly as bad as most of what I've read online.

My friends have mostly had similar experiences and I know several guys using these. One friend has one on his Knight muzzle loader that he hasn't touched the adjustments on in several years. He kills deer year after year tagging out, usually with mostly large bucks. He doesn't worry about the scope at all as he has never had a problem. Several others have had similar experiences.

The only two I know of that may have possibly gone bad, were two hunting buddies bought T/C Omega Z5's from Walmart. Both bought these Tasco scopes in 3-9x50 to mount on them. One shot great right out of the box, and the other one was shooting all over the place and they never could get it sighted in. I wasn't there for the initial sighting in, but saw the targets. He assumed the scope was just trash and took it off. He then mounted a Bushnell scope that was proven to be good on there. I was there for this sight in procedure and the gun didn't shoot much better. It was shooting 4-5" groups and hitting all over the place. He finally got about a 4" group and got it centered somewhat over the bullseye. He decided this was good enough and has killed several deer with it. He still claims that first Tasco was bad, but I have my doubts. I will admit that it didn't shoot even that well with the Tasco, but it shot so poorly with the proven Bushnell, that it leads me to believe it is most likely the gun, not the scope.

The next failure was the other one who had bought the z5. He killed several deer with it the first year. The second year, he killed a deer with it, then missed a deer. Now, I will admit that he is a very good shot and it's rare to here of him missing a deer. He shot at another one and missed it as well. He came to the conclusion that the scope had gone bad and that since it was cheap he wasn't going to even mess with it. He never shot it at paper, he just took it off and put a nicer scope on there. So I don't know if this one really was bad, or if he just missed the deer, or what exactly happened here.

So, I'm not really confident enough to say that either of those two were for sure failures. That coupled with the about 10 good experiences I've seen with this scope leads me to believe they are pretty decent. I mostly run nicer scopes on my guns now, but I do still have that Tasco and I don't believe that cheap budget scopes are nearly as bad as you read online. That said, 98% of the guys I hunt with run scopes under $100, most of them are really hard on their guns, and it is very rare to hear of a failure. Most of them are Simmons, with a few Bushnells thrown in, but they are owned by Bushnell, and I've had similar experiences although maybe slightly better with Simmons.
Old November 7, 2012, 12:19 PM   #33
Keepin_Jeepin

Fusion,

Thanks for sealing the deal with me! I could buy up to about 100 dollars right now but I just don't really want to because I do want to run Vortex on all my guns. Till then Sounds like the tasco is going to be right up my alley! I might just buy it today and report back with pictures!
Old November 7, 2012, 03:18 PM   #34
hooligan1

Well then, check out the Vortex Crossfire for that .22 rifle, it should work out fine.
Old November 7, 2012, 05:38 PM   #35
Keepin_Jeepin

Thanks I will when I have more money. I got my cheapo here is a teaser.

I will get pictures and post a range day for everyone when I go sunday!
Old November 8, 2012, 05:06 PM   #36
langenc

Save your money till you can afford something better.

Buy once, cry once.. Buy twice cry twice.

If you cant afford the better scope now you surely wont be able to afford in few months after buying the junk--Barska aint any better, probably not as good.
Old November 8, 2012, 06:16 PM   #37
Keepin_Jeepin

Its too late its bought lol
Old November 8, 2012, 06:28 PM   #38
GoCarp

Let us know how it does. I get the "buy it once, buy it right kind of attitude", but sometimes I like to buy the cheaper stuff so I can really see for myself the difference in quality once I finally do upgrade. Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't. If you always go for the high end stuff, can you really appreciate it if you don't know the difference?
Old November 8, 2012, 08:05 PM   #39
PatientWolf

I like the "buy once" concept and usually follow it, but with a $40 scope, you can shoot it and have a great time while you are saving up for a better scope. And you may just find it does everything you want and can put the money toward other tweaks or more ammo.

Oh, and like I said before, I am really happy with the performance of my Tasco.
Old November 9, 2012, 09:15 AM   #40
Rifleman1776

Tasco scopes are fine. Get one and enjoy.
Old November 9, 2012, 03:37 PM   #41
hooligan1

Back in the day, (late 70's early 80's) the Tasco name and quality was up there with Leupold, somewhere, somehow, they went south, BUT for not too much jack a fella probably could use one all his natural life without knowing of anything better.
Old November 11, 2012, 03:17 PM   #42
TX Hunter

That scope will probably hold up just fine on your .22 Enjoy.
.22 Rifles dont have recoil, or eneough to matter anyway.