The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 8, 2012, 02:52 PM   #1
BenDC85

Buying my first shot gun

I have decided on Mossberg 930™ AUTOLOADER and I am going to install a +5rnd Magazine Extension for a total of 9+1

But I need help deciding between the various 930 models. I want to use it for both skeet shooting and home defense (or maybe hunting also) I would like to keep my options open

The two I am looking at right now are: 85125 and 85114

I prefer the price of the 85114 ($439.99) but before I buy it I want to make sure... can I put different chokes in it? It says "fully rifled bore" but I'm not really sure I understand what that means. Does it mean that I can't install different chokes for hunting deer vs skeet shooting

I would just get the 85125 ($489.99) to make sure but I don't want to pay and extra $50 for an extra barrel that I will never use.

Someone help me out please.

Thanks
Old March 8, 2012, 02:59 PM   #2
zippy13

Greetings BenDC85 and welcome aboard.
If you don't know what a "fully rifled bore" is, then you need to do a lot more research before deciding on a specific shotgun purchase. FYI, a rifled bore is used for a very specific application: shooting sabot-type slugs. It's typically used for deer hunting in jurisdictions where rifles are prohibited. It's not suited for Skeet nor HD.
Old March 8, 2012, 03:12 PM   #3
customaquatics

sounds like he needs a mossberg 500 to start off with. got mine in a gun shop used for $169.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old March 8, 2012, 03:23 PM   #4
oneounceload

If you are wanting a semi automatic shotgun that can double as a skeet gun and HD gun, then you do not want a rifles bore barrel, nor do you want the 24" rifle sights barrel. For skeet you will want 28" or longer, for HD, most likely 20" or shorter. Adding a long barrel extension gives you several issues to consider - the huge gain in hard to wield weight while trying to swing the gun, either for skeet or HD, and a long extension also means something real easy to snag in the HD scenario. Skeet only allows 2 shots loaded maximim at any given time
Old March 8, 2012, 03:41 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

Short answer. Model number 85110.

28" vent rib smooth bore that takes chokes. I believe that someone explained that a 28" barrel on an auto loader or a pump is equivalent to a 30' barrel on an o/u since the receivers are longer. Forget the magazine extension.

All the above are correct. You want a bead front sight. Your eye is your rear sight for clays. Forget the rifle sight. A short barrel would be better for HD, but nothing shorter than 24" seems to be available for a 930. I believe that some have advocated a long barrel for HD as long as your plan is not to move about the house but hole up an await the PD.
Old March 8, 2012, 11:53 PM   #6
BenDC85

Great thanks for the info/advice. I think I will go with TheKlawMan's suggestion and get the 85110

and maybe later on (if I can find one that is in-stock)I will think about getting an 18.5" barrel for HD. (I am assuming I can simply replace the 28" with the 18.5" and swap them back whenever I intend to shoot skeet, please correct me if I am wrong)

Thanks
Old March 9, 2012, 01:11 AM   #7
TheKlawMan

Quote:
(I am assuming I can simply replace the 28" with the 18.5" and swap them back whenever I intend to shoot skeet, please correct me if I am wrong)
No problem. Get Mossberg barrel #93020. http://www.mossberg.com/products/acc...section=access
Old March 9, 2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Emuricah513

Magazine Extension

Just a friendly reminder, make sure you keep that magazine plug and check your states laws on shell capacity for hunting. I know hunting in Ohio is a 2+1 shell limit so you can't have your magazine extension on and must have the plug in as well.
Old March 9, 2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Hansam

I was always under the impression you couldn't add an extension onto mags for Mossbergs because of the way they were made. I mean take a look at how a Mossberg magazine attaches to the gun and its construction and tell me how that is feasible?
Old March 9, 2012, 09:27 PM   #10
BenDC85

In response to Hansam

Not all Mossbergs are the same. If you're looking at a Mossberg 500 then yeah. it wouldn't really be feasible. But some of the other Mossbergs (including the 930) have a cap on the end of the mag tube that can be easily unscrewed and replaced with an extension.

At least that is my understanding of it (I don't actually have one yet too take a look at and know for sure. so...you could still be right)
anyway, thanks for the heads up, I'll certainly double check that before I buy the extension.

Last edited by BenDC85; March 9, 2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 9, 2012, 09:54 PM   #11
Hansam

Ben,

I apologize for my mistake. I am only familiar with the pump actions from Mossberg (I have been avoiding semi-auto shotguns) and their magazines attach in a fashion that makes adding an extension basically impossible.

That being the case it is entirely possible you could add an extension to the 930 and I just don't know about it.

Oh and as a pet peeve of mine the word is spelled "response". I hope you don't take offense but its a pet peeve of mine.
Old March 9, 2012, 10:55 PM   #12
boostedtt91

If you want a semi auto shotgun, i highly recommend the Saiga 12. I just picked up one this week myself for my first shotgun and i must say its the most fun i have ever had shooting. Its build amazingly well, ak platform so its very reliable, alot of parts and accessories available. Great HD gun and great for skeet as well!
Old March 10, 2012, 12:00 AM   #13
BenDC85

I had considered the Saiga 12 and possibly getting this bullpup conversion kit for it, but decided I don't like how a 10round magazine (or even 8round) protrudes awkwardly out the bottom. so I am going to go with something tube fed for that reason.
Actually, what I really want, is the Kel Tec KSG (14+1) but I want a semi-auto version of it and they don't make that, yet.
Old March 10, 2012, 12:08 AM   #14
zippy13

Quote:
i highly recommend the Saiga 12... great for skeet as well!
^^ROTFLMAO^^
Old March 10, 2012, 04:29 PM   #15
oneounceload

Quote:
i highly recommend the Saiga 12... great for skeet as well!
^^ROTFLMAO^^
Obviously, my friend, from someone who does not shoot skeet, maybe cow patties clays, but not skeet

The Saiga has the handling and balance worse than the pig on a shovel; anyone who is actually serious about shooting a shotgun for more than soda can knows this and acts accordingly
Old March 11, 2012, 07:14 PM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Come ON, guys......

A Saiga is certainly not the best choice as a skeet gun, you can't get those subguage tubes to work and the black hue contrasts with the pretty pastel clothing. Oh,wait, that's golf...

Seriously, if the owner is having fun and maybe even getting better with his/her shotgun of choice,whythehecknot?
Old March 11, 2012, 10:44 PM   #17
TheKlawMan

Quote:
Seriously, if the owner is having fun and maybe even getting better with his/her shotgun of choice,whythehecknot?
Dave, There is nothing wrong with enjoying some skeet with your Saiga 12, but that is a far cry for recommending one to the OP, who is looking to for a shotgun for HD and skeet, as being "great for skeet".

Last edited by TheKlawMan; March 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old March 12, 2012, 01:56 PM   #18
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

On a multi mission tool, one has to prioritize. HD ranks over skeet, and the Saiga can be a great defensive tool.

And I cannot think of a better way to improve ones skills (and one's chances of survival) than to burn up lots of ammo shooting at small,fast targets. Slower, bigger but more dangerous stuff becomes easier.Even with the Saiga's balance issues and 9 lb weight,skeet shooting is just hard, not impossible.

My HD shotguns are 870s, so every once in a while the O/Us stay home or in the truck and one or more of the 870s here come out to play. Not Skeet much, just Wobble, Trap and SC.

Familiarity may breed contempt as the saying goes, but it also breeds expertise.
Old March 12, 2012, 02:24 PM   #19
jhog1

I think the problem is a lot of people consider throwing clay targets with a hand thrower or even one of those traps that you stake down and pull the string to be shooting skeet. If they would go and actually shoot a round of skeet thrown from the high and low house in all 8 stations they would realize that a Saiga 12 isn't a great choice
Old March 12, 2012, 03:28 PM   #20
oneounceload

Quote:
I think the problem is a lot of people consider throwing clay targets with a hand thrower or even one of those traps that you stake down and pull the string to be shooting skeet. If they would go and actually shoot a round of skeet thrown from the high and low house in all 8 stations they would realize that a Saiga 12 isn't a great choice
There ya go, especially when only two rounds are allowed - somewhat defeats the purpose of the Saiga.....love to them on a sporting clays course as well.....
Old March 12, 2012, 07:57 PM   #21
boostedtt91

Yes there are probably "better" skeet guns out there if thats all you want with it, but seriously a shotgun is a shotgun. Your gonna be able to shoot pigeons with a $100 shotgun or a $10,000 shotgun. If your a competition shooter than yes there are good and bad shotguns. Let me specify, YES the Saiga isnt a good choice for competition shooting.

Last edited by boostedtt91; March 12, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old March 12, 2012, 09:06 PM   #22
TheKlawMan

Quote:
I just picked up one this week myself for my first shotgun
Boosted's pronouncements on the Saiga is based on vast experience.
Old March 12, 2012, 09:11 PM   #23
boostedtt91

ok i should of specified more, im not talking about competition, im talking about just shooting skeet for fun. Yes for competition a saiga is not the best choice.
Old March 12, 2012, 09:17 PM   #24
boostedtt91

Quote:
Boosted's pronouncements on the Saiga is based on vast experience.
Just because i didn't personally own one doesnt mean i haven't ever use one before. ive shot them for years, i just always had other families and friends available so i didnt have a need to buy one
Old March 12, 2012, 09:24 PM   #25
oneounceload

Don't get me wrong - or fun where you do not care about reliability on the line, or accuracy where money is on the line - have fun with the Saiga...........but for anything else, let's get real a out what works and what doesn't