The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 9, 2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Snake River Jake

Need Dennis Alder's BP Values, latest edition

I would like to get Dennis Alder's latest edition of "Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Values" I think it is the 3rd or 4th edition?
I tried ordering one from Amazon but the dofus sent me the first one published in 2000!
Anybody know where I can get the "right" edition?
Blue Book didn't answer my emails.
Thanks pards!
Old December 9, 2008, 07:51 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

Current one is 5th Edition. You can get it here:
https://store.bluebookinc.com/Firearms/Default.aspx
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 9, 2008, 10:55 PM   #3
Snake River Jake

The one on Blue Book says it's by John Allen; The early one I have is by Dennis Adler. He doesn't do it any longer?
Old December 9, 2008, 11:47 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Ya know I didnt even notice that. 3rd Edition (2003) was by John B. Allen with Photography & editorial by Dennis Adler. 4th Edition (2004) was by John B. Allen & Dennis Adler. 5th Edition (2007) is only by John B Allen. Guess Dennis Adler bowed out. The 5th edition doesnt have any of the articles/stories w/color pictures about BP arms like the previous editions did. Might be because Adler republished his 'Colt Blackpowder Reproductions and Replicas - A Collectors and Shooters Guide' as a coffee table book. Has the same errors misidentifications and editing flaws that the original 1998 soft cover edition did though.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 10, 2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Snake River Jake

Better than nuttin I guess

Can't remember one of these books that I have read (must be dozens) that didn't have some errors or another.
The one I wonder about being an error is all the BP books I've read about the follow-on revolvers to the original Colts is that Signature Series cannot be lettered by Colt. I have three that are lettered by Colt.
Can't be I'm the only one in the BP community that has lettered Signature Series "Colts"?
Inquiring minds would love to know.
Old December 10, 2008, 07:37 PM   #6
Fingers McGee

You might have lucked out on the Letters for your Sig Series guns. While there may, in fact, be others; you're are to only one I know of.

FM