The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 5, 2005, 12:33 PM   #1
Big_ted46

Home Defense

Im looking for a reliable yet somewhat inexpensive 12 gauge for home security. Ive been looking at a mossberg model 500 persuader, and so far so good. Found a few of them brand new for $250, seems like a deal compared to the MSRP on mossberg's website, which is about $347 (one i found is even including the pistol grip kit ) Any comments or suggestions please let me know. thanks.
Old December 5, 2005, 12:55 PM   #2
Glock35JHP

I have the Mossberg 500 20" barrel. It's my home security gun. I tried the pistol grip with slugs, buckshot, and birdshot. I could hit the paper but boy after a box or two of magnum loads I had a sore hand and put the stock on. Good gun in my opinion. Yeah that is a good price I paid $350 for mine.

HK USP.40
Sig P239.357Sig
Mossberg 500 Cruiser
Rock River Arms Standard A2
Old December 5, 2005, 01:01 PM   #3
craigntx

get a used shotty

check the pawn shops

i found an 870 super mag for $150

also found a 20 in bbl for $55
Old December 5, 2005, 02:44 PM   #4
Para Bellum

double barrel

pumping and firing a follow-up acurately and fast requires a lot of training. Get a short double barrel ("coach gun / bounty hunter") like eg one of these:

• what you can't handle/stop with two 12ga loads and a handgun at your side is uncontrollable.
  • doble-barrels can't malfunction like pump-guns or semi-autos
  • you can't forget to pump a double-barrel
  • follow-ups are extremely quick with a double-barrel
  • double-barrels take any ammo

consider that.
Old December 5, 2005, 03:57 PM   #5
HappyGunner

Non-Metal trigger and safety

I read in this forum that Mossberg uses a Non-Metal trigger and safety.This got me again looking at Remington's shotgun's I used to have a Rem.870 pump and sold it when I had a brain hicup anyway I found that I would now be better served with a Rem.11-87 semi-auto Police 12ga shotgun.
http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/1187.htm
Old December 5, 2005, 05:11 PM   #6
Death from Afar

Parabellum has raised a good point. I kinda am inclined to think that an SBS is a better choice if you simply are never going to practice. If you plan to shoot it, get a pump action 12 bore and you will never look back.
Old December 5, 2005, 07:41 PM   #7
Pistolenschutze

I had good luck with the Winchester 1300 pump. Very inexpensive and quite reliable for "close encounters of the personal kind."
Old December 8, 2005, 09:29 PM   #8
eng2

you can't go wrong with a 500. it's my home gun. their work horse's
Old December 9, 2005, 12:52 AM   #9
ron73644

HappyGunner

That's non-metal trigger GUARD, and so do the comparable models of the 870.
Old December 9, 2005, 01:15 AM   #10
XavierBreath

The Mossy 500 is my favorite, followed by the Winnie 1300. Check pawnshops. Mossberg 500s go for $100-140 used in most places, and they last forever.
Old December 9, 2005, 04:47 AM   #11
106RR

Few people can hit with a pistol grip shotgun. Go with a major brand and a regular stock.
Remember the consequences to your family will be severe if you lose the fight so make sure you don't miss.
Old December 9, 2005, 06:37 AM   #12
Samuel2001

I dunno for a house/non-combat zone gun I would have no issues with having a plastic/synthetic/non-metal trigger guard. It's probably just going to sit in a corner or in the closet, and I dont think they mind.

Mossberg used to produce an entry level/price shottie based on the 500, but sold under the Maverick name. If you were to find a dealer that sold them they were a little cheaper than the 500. The only dif was that the 500 had dual bars and the MAverick had a single bar. Again in a gun that is going to be fiered once or twice a year it's a non-issue.

Someone has already mentioned PAWN SHOPS, they are a good place to find an entry level shottie for a song. My car gun is a Rem 870 that I picked up at a PS for under $150, and I've seen Mossbergs for around $120-140 too.

Good luck.

P.S.
Go shopping and if you find something weird or something you might like (Brand/Type) for home defence, come back and ask what we think. Ods are the guys and gals here are going to give you more than enough info for you to make an educated descision.

Build a bridge, and...GET OVER IT!
Old December 9, 2005, 06:41 AM   #13
Samuel2001

Oh, and I forgot to mention, STAY AWAY FROM PISTOL GRIP SHOTGUNS!
PG shotties are the most uncomfortable guns out there, they HURT and its pretty hard to aim 'em too.

Build a bridge, and...GET OVER IT!
Old December 9, 2005, 07:25 AM   #14
antediluvianist

" Mossberg used to produce an entry level/price shottie based on the 500, but sold under the Maverick name. If you were to find a dealer that sold them they were a little cheaper than the 500. The only dif was that the 500 had dual bars and the MAverick had a single bar. Again in a gun that is going to be fiered once or twice a year it's a non-issue."

They still do (make the Maverick). Bought mine earlier this year and it came with dual bars so I guess they improved it.

Synthetic stock. A rather light shotgun, but for the occasional shooter, it is just fine.
Old December 9, 2005, 09:25 AM   #15
Musketeer

I got a Remington 870 Express with an 18 1/2" barrel from The Sports Authority, new, for under $250. This was just a month ago. Stick with something reliable and know, especially if you are very rarely going to shoot it.
Old December 12, 2005, 01:01 PM   #16
Gabby Hayes

Another vote for the Maverick Security 88 [ http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm ]. It's the budget version of Mossberg's Persuader Model 500, with parts made at the company's plant in Torreon, Mexico, and assembled across the border in Eagle Pass, Texas. The major difference between the Maverick and Mossberg is that the Mossberg has a safety mounted on the top rear of the receiver. The Maverick has a cross-bolt safety mounted in front of the trigger like the Remington 870. Some claim that the fit and finish on the Maverick isn't the same as on the Mossberg, but that's what you'd expect on a "budget" product. Mavericks list for $199 and routinely sell for $150 or less. The Mossberg Persuader 500 lists for $357 and sells for around $225 or less in many places. If cost is a big consideration, and you're not interested in impressing your friends with a looker, check out the Maverick.
Old December 12, 2005, 04:40 PM   #17
oletymer

If you really want a home defense weapon, don't look for something cheap. It amazes me how many people look for the cheapest thing they can find to defend themselves and family. Buy a really good quality gun and forget pistol grips, heat shields and the other unnecessary crap. The bad guys won't care what the gun looks like. Only the police and a jury if you have to go to trial will care and look upon you as a nut in most cases.