The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 8, 2017, 12:32 AM   #1
Don Fischer

Two 243's

First time in my life I've had two rifles in the same cartridge at the same time. Got the 700 ADL as a gift years ago, never was happy with it. Plastic stock's are ugly! Didn't shoot worth spit either. Lot of bedding work and it shoot's pretty good. But, I seldom took it out. About a week ago I found a 700 ADL stock for it. Got it on but had to open the barrel channel up a bit It fit, sort of. To tight in there. opened it up and it shoot's as well ast it did with that ugly plastic stock! Then some time back I got the Mossberg Patriot. I think it's one of the best out of the box rifles I've ever bought. With SMK's it stay's right around 1/2" every time I shoot it. But today wasn't it's day. Got a 5/8th inch group and the Rem 700 with the wood stock went 9/16". Surprising thing is that was the first group I shot out of it after replacing the stock. 75gr V-Max! Some day I hope my grandson want's one of them! Took four rifle's up to shoot, Jaeger 30-06 and Win Mod 70 6.5x55. Both of them gave me an inch and happy with that. Having just started shooting the 30-06, I find the recoil in a t-shirt hurt's a bit. Biggest caliber rifle I've shot in years. Just need to keep shooting it and wear a heavier shirt and it will be fine!. Only shot one group with each, to hot out, 80+ degrees get's to me pretty quick.
Old June 8, 2017, 06:03 AM   #2
ligonierbill

Sounds like a good range day.

It's impressive how well these new "entry level" rifles shoot. I have a Ruger American .243 that's ugly as sin (I grew up with walnut and blued steel), but shoots the lights out.

Regarding the recoil, when I come home with a bruise, it's usually because I managed to get the edge of the buttstock to "pinch". Got one of those thin gel pads that fits under my shirt - even got a stylish shooting shirt with a pocket for it. Doesn't affect the LOP, or change the felt recoil for that matter, but no bruising. Works for .338 WM and lately 9.3x62.