The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 23, 2013, 01:25 AM   #1
warcloud

poor shooting

No matter if I shoot my solo cdp or my Springfield EMP I shoot low and to the left just inside and outside the ring. At 7 o’clock. I have been shooting 9mm 124 grain American eagle. I have not been shooting long but have been taught about grip, sight pattern and trigger squeeze. I know I’m doing something wrong but can’t figure out what, any suggestions
Old November 23, 2013, 01:32 AM   #2
USVI

This might help...

Old November 23, 2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Ruger480

Awesome. That helped me too!
Old November 23, 2013, 10:49 AM   #4
sigarms228

Sounds like you are anticipating recoil and dipping the pistol just as firing. Very common. Have someone load some dummy loads in a magazine with live rounds and you will know instantly if you are doing that.

Could also be jerking the trigger instead of smooth press straight back isolating trigger finger movement from rest of hand. If you practice dry firing that can help to see if you are doing and correcting that. I recommend using snap caps for dry fire practice. Also try using different points on your trigger finger on the trigger from about the middle of the finger tip pad to and including the first joint. Changing of pistol grips/backstraps, when possible, may also help by optimizing grip and trigger finger placement to your hand size and shape.

Practicing with a .22 LR pistol also may be beneficial allowing one to master trigger control without fear of recoil and minimizing ammo costs plus IMO it is just fun. Ruger and Browning make several reasonable cost .22 pistols. I hear good things about the M&P .22 pistol also. Hopefully .22 LR ammo availability and cost will improve soon.

Proper 360 degree grip is also very important. The video below may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDZDttBfock

Good luck!!

Last edited by sigarms228; November 23, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old November 23, 2013, 01:15 PM   #5
wpsdlrg

Yea, what they said. I used to shoot every hand gun I tried low and to the right - until I got used to that particular gun. Not anymore, so perhaps I have developed my skills enough to get past it.

Practice the fundamentals. Practice, practice, practice. Your problem should go away.