The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2001, 05:33 PM   #1
skyder

RL550B Question

Yeah, I know... I could go to the Dillon people for an answer, but that wouldn't give you guys the opportunity to feel useful!!
I got a 550 this week and set it up. Very impressive, especially the versatility of it.
Here is the question: How do you old 550 users empty out the powder hopper at the end of a loading session or when changing powders? Several methods came to mind, and were rejected. Vacuum cleaner, match, flooding with water, you know, all the impractical ones. I don't like to leave powder in anything but the original package when not in use and the way I am doing it now is to take the powder maasure off and pour into the can.
Gotta be a better way and my money is on the TFL wisdom.
Thanks!
Old October 11, 2001, 06:05 PM   #2
Dogjaw

I leave the powder in the measure. BUT, I always label the type of powder in the use. I also refrain from adding too much in at a time. The only way to empty the measure is to loosen the 2 screws and dump it back in the can.
I'm intriqued with the match theory, let us know how it works out.
Old October 11, 2001, 06:37 PM   #3
Bob C

If I'm not planning to load again within a couple of days, I empty the powder measure. Pouring form the top gets most of the powder out, and then I manually cycle the measure over the powder container until all of it is out of the measure. This is usually four or five times.
Old October 13, 2001, 08:31 PM   #4
parachuterigger

When I'm finished with a powder, I just remove the two pins that hold the toolhead in and dump the powder back in its container. Most of it comes out in the poor. Then I cycle the powder measure over the container a couple of times to empty the powder bar. Seems to work really well.
Old October 14, 2001, 09:27 PM   #5
swabjocky

powder removal

i load with a 550 b.i agree with what these 3 people said
Old October 15, 2001, 11:54 AM   #6
Steve Smith

Empty the powder hopper?

I just set the toolhead back on its stand, powder and all.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old October 15, 2001, 05:50 PM   #7
pwiz

I go with the pull the two pins, remove the tool head and empty the measure back into the RIGHT can of powder. Works for me........

pwiz
Old October 15, 2001, 10:31 PM   #8
nwgunman

I empty the powder measure when I'm done each time. I don't like the idea of exposing powder to air and humidity. I pull the pins and dump the powder out thru the top and into the original canister. I then cycle the measure a couple of times to be sure it's empty. If I'm changing to a different type of powder, I disassemble the whole measure and clean it out with a dry cloth. No way I want to mix a couple of flakes of powder "X" with those granules of powder "Y". I label the measures for contents. I've got a couple of measures on tool heads all set to go for my fav calibers, but sometimes I just have to try a new powder/bullet combo. That's part of the fun. Stay safe.