The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 30, 2017, 09:31 AM   #1
jonnefudge

Remington 1100 steel shots?

Hi!
I have an old Remington 1100 12g, 2-3/4 and I wonder if it is safe to steel shots through its barrel? I am thinking about cutting the barrel down to 19" so there will be no choke.

It is ok for me if the barrel wear out in the long term due to the steel shots. It is not ok if it blows up.

/fudge

Last edited by jonnefudge; April 30, 2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old April 30, 2017, 09:36 AM   #2
ammo.crafter

1100 Remy

What is the purpose of this shotgun?
Old April 30, 2017, 09:59 AM   #3
jonnefudge

Just training some casual shooting on the range, rabbit hunting and maybe some skeet just for fun. I might install a choke later if more range is needed.
Old April 30, 2017, 07:38 PM   #4
Rob228

If you aren't hunting waterfowl you really wouldn't be shooting any steel through it.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:43 PM   #5
jmr40

The shotgun will probably be fine with steel shot. Almost all shotguns made since the late 80's are designed for it and most repeaters made prior to that work fine. The only issues were guns with thin barrel steel. Mostly SXS and O/U shotguns.

But a gas operated semi-auto needs pressure to build up in the barrel in order to cycle. Cutting the barrel down shorter will dramatically change that pressure and it most likely won't feed and eject after you do. It might work with heavy magnum loads, might not. But you can probably forget about normal field loads working in it.

Cutting barrels down is best done to pumps.

Winston Churchill
Old May 1, 2017, 08:50 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Cutting down the barrel to 19" & using it for skeet? I think if you want self defense, you should buy yourself a short barrel. Different barrels are for different purposes.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:17 AM   #7
KEYBEAR

What choke is the barrel now . If full choke steel should not be used .
Do you know what size the choke is . A lot of older Remington 1100 were very tight you need to know .
Old May 2, 2017, 11:58 AM   #8
5whiskey

Quote:
What choke is the barrel now . If full choke steel should not be used .
Do you know what size the choke is . A lot of older Remington 1100 were very tight you need to know .
This. You should not shoot steel through a full choke, especially a tight one. As others have said, you have no need to shoot steel unless you hunt waterfowl (and in this case, a short open choke barrel is useless). Further, I highly advise against whacking the barrel on an old 1100. First off, it may not cycle as pointed out by others. Second off, an open choke is good for almost nothing except close quarters SD. Almost no hunting application there. Certainly no application that would require steel shot.

I would get a maverick 88 to mess around with if short (legal) barrels interested you.
Old May 2, 2017, 03:47 PM   #9
jonnefudge

Thanks for the input! I might reconsider cutting the barrel.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:32 PM   #10
Reader850

Mine is cut to 18 and works fine

I bought a new Rem 1100 in about 1980, the last one sold at the local Sears as it discontinued guns at this store. Several years later, my brother, an Austin policeman, had the APD armorer cut it to 18" and a fraction, and threaded it for Winchokes (the barrel was too thin at that point for Remchokes is what he said). I've used it on many dove hunts, never had a problem with cycling. The semi-auto action is always very reliable with a wide variety (all I've tried) of shells, target, skeet and field loads; also buckshot. It is very quick to swing/point. I like hunting with it. Never shot steel through it. But I wish I had the long barrel, too. Some day I'll buy one.
Old May 21, 2017, 01:09 PM   #11
ocharry

i have a buddy that cut his 1100 barrel down,,,if it caused a cycling problem his gun didnt get the memo,,,and most steel shot loads are a little hotter anyway,,,so i dont think you will have a problem,,,,remington does make short factory barrels for the 1100,,,,if you are going to shoot steel in it i wouldnt want anything tighter than imp cyl

also with steel shot you will pick up a choke,,,cylinder bore will now be improved cylinder,,,,imp cyl will be modified,,,,mod will be full

i have killed a lot of small game with imp cyl

make it like you want it to be,,,there are thousands of 1100 barrels out there

just make sure if you cut it to stay north of 18"......maybe 18.5-19"

just saying

my .02
ocharry