The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 1, 2001, 10:29 AM   #26
Guy B. Meredith

adad,

If you've shot action pistol you are aware that the matches are like golf--lots of BS time and a few minutes shooting. The better you are the less time you get to shoot.

Okay, a poll.

If there is an interest in a match I will seek out the information. Select all that apply or add to list and remember some range/activity combinations are mutually exclusive:

Activity: Action, target(handgun and rifle), trap, skeet

List prefered or excluded days, months, times

Range: Sunnyvale, Concord (USI), Livermore, Richmond, San Leandro, Chabot

Additional requests
Old March 1, 2001, 01:06 PM   #27
4V50 Gary
Staff

San Leandro should be ruled out as it isn't a very large range. We're talking about a dozen shooting positions in the indoor pistol range and about a little over a dozen in the outdoor, with some restricted to 50 yards only. Suggest any of the outdoor ranges mentioned if you guys have a large gathering.
Old March 1, 2001, 02:01 PM   #28
Glock_Racer

Yeah let's forget about San Leandro, I shoot there most of the time and it is not a big place.

Activity = Target, action (action sounds more fun)
Available = Most weekends, anytime of the month (Mar. 24 sounds good)
Range = Richmond

Old March 1, 2001, 09:28 PM   #29
SarcasmGuy

Range= Richmond.

Type of shoot= Target, Action.

Date= Any weekend.
Old March 2, 2001, 02:02 AM   #30
latebound

2 more people interested. . . myself and a co-worker.

Chabot seems best (size, central location, variety), even if they won't allow the Barrett .50 on the weekends. They say it's too noisy

Any weekend starting with the 17th is fine with us.

-latebound
Old March 2, 2001, 10:28 AM   #31
Gorthaur

Chabot, any, any.
Old March 6, 2001, 03:49 PM   #32
Gorthaur

BTTT

Guy, why don't you pick a day and place? Then we can start planning the next one.
Old March 7, 2001, 04:22 PM   #33
RANash

Chabot (but flexible), Action and target, any weekend.

Heck, it would be fun to just show up and shoot the breeze if nothing else.

I also like the idea of Guy just arranging things for a first time that seems best to him, and if we can adjust to it, good. If not, we'll make the next one. When we get together, it will be easier to come to an agreement on what the next one should be like.
Old March 8, 2001, 03:47 PM   #34
JimDiver

I am in San Jose....
Old March 15, 2001, 02:07 AM   #35
SarcasmGuy

BTT .
Old March 15, 2001, 01:09 PM   #36
Guy B. Meredith

Folks,

I am going to suggest Chabot on Saturday April 14 for our first outing and then maybe rotate after that if we decide we would like other get togethers.

Other than being a good day to relieve pre tax stress, April 14 is a scheduled TASC sponsered USPSA match date and the date they are providing the holster orientation required for new action shooters.

If you have not shot action pistol before and require the orientation please call the contact listed at the TASC web site (http://www.tasc-ipsc.org) so they can be prepared to accomodate everyone.

Those wishing to enter the match should be at the range a bit before 8:00. The target ranges open at 9:00. I will probably not be entering the match in order to be a more mobile host, but will be there at 8:00 if any of you respond that you are entering the match.

You may want to bring something if you intend to stay through lunch. There are vending machines with noodle cups and sometimes soggy sandwiches, but I recommend bringing something you know you will like.

Range fees at Chabot are $11 for full access to any and all public rifle and pistol lanes in any combination for the day. Trap fees are $7.00 per round with clays included.

TASC action pistol match fee is $20, which seems to be the iron clad standard price at all clubs in the area.

For Chabot directions and a preview of the facilities check http://www.chabotgunclub.com. Please check http://www.tasc-ipsc.org for holster orientation, equipment and other match details.

Old March 23, 2001, 10:50 PM   #37
Glock_Racer

BTT
Old March 24, 2001, 12:08 AM   #38
Guy B. Meredith

I need a translation of BTT, BTTT. Acronyms is one of seven languages I do not speak well.
Old March 24, 2001, 12:31 PM   #39
Glock_Racer

BTT = Back To Top. And a translation of many a things can also be found here http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/li...TFL_Primer.htm
Old March 26, 2001, 04:32 PM   #40
EricO

Hi everyone, I just noticed this thread a little late but thought I'd answer a question. As for Chabot IDPA matches, they do take new shooters and one doesn't have to be a member of the club to participate. Additionally, I believe they will let you shoot with a non-approved handgun or holster/mag pouch combination if you are new, but I believe your score won't be posted at the website - http://www.sfbay-idpa.com. We like to know that a shooter has either participated in PPC/IPSC or taken a handgun class from a recognized trainer where holster work and safety is taught. At the window when paying new shooters are expected to notify the personnel, and then simply listen to a 5 min (est) instructive speech by one of the experienced participants before the match. The club very much welcomes new shooters, though we are serious about safety. We have around an est. 20-60 shooters show up, with the most usually during nice weather and the 3 times a yr. we do the classifier (June 16th, and Oct 20 left this yr.) We have a great group of people participating, and some very inventive, and (lately) prop intensive stages. IDPA at Chabot is every 3rd Sat of the month. 3-gun, which has some of the same people participating, is every 1st and 5th Sun of the month.
EricO
Old March 27, 2001, 03:34 PM   #41
4V50 Gary
Staff

Good luck

but I'm going to a (blackpowder) gun builders fair in Oregon during the weekend of April 14. Have fun.

Can anyone confirm that the Livermore-Pleasanton rifle range may be closed? Heard it from a friend the other day.

Gary
Old April 9, 2001, 11:45 PM   #42
Guy B. Meredith

I rather belatedly realized that April 14 is Easter weekend. From the lack of interested replies I suspect the rest of you were one step ahead of me. I will offer other alternatives once I get a chance to check a calendar other than the local range schedules.
Old April 10, 2001, 11:00 AM   #43
4V50 Gary
Staff

Fair is off (it was rescheduled to last weekend April 7-8). Nuts. Anyway, what range? Livermore is out as it has been closed for rifle & pistol shooting.