The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 29, 2020, 01:28 PM   #1
fishhead1

Kollmorgen Scope w/ 26mm Rings for Henry Rifle

OK, so I have a hand-me-down Kollmorgen scope w/ 26mm dovetail rings (approx 20mm inside dovetail width) that I would like to mount on a new Henry single shot rifle. The problem, of course, is that I haven't been able to find a suitable scope base (# 82 Weaver scope base is recommended for that rifle) which will accept the scope/ rings combo; much less be compatible with the rifle. Was hoping to not have to buy new scope/rings unless absolutely necessary. Fairly thorough internet search has turned up nothing. Any help would be appreciated.
Old July 29, 2020, 04:44 PM   #2
Scorch

Hand-me-down is probably an understatement. Kollmorgen was a company that made submarine attack pericsopes until right after WW2, after which they tried to diversify into optical devices (including rifle scopes). Kollmorgen was bought by Redfield in the 1950s. Redfield marketed scopes with the Cub and Scout name for a few years, then droppped the models and focused on their own name brands. So, even though your scope was considered one of the finest rifle scopes on the market in the 1940s, it is old school and old tech. Since most manufacturers will not make things there is no demand for, you will not likely find a scope base that accepts your scope. Good news, though, is that Kollmorgen scopes are collectible, so you could put it on eBay and get enough money to buy a new scope.