The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 19, 2017, 07:33 PM   #1
Groundhog34

S&W Shield Problem

I bought a new Shield custom shop 9mm yesterday. Today I took it out to fire a few rounds. The first round fired hit the target a coke bottle at 10 yards. However I had a major problem. The spent shell ejected but the slide locked back and I mean locked it is immovable. The slide release does nothing. I am an experienced shooter do not limp wrist I am left handed so do not ride the slide stop. I plan on calling S&W in the morning but any ideas?
Old March 19, 2017, 07:47 PM   #2
Ramey

I seem to recall a similar post on another forum. I think it ended up being a recoil spring issue. Somehow it got out of alignment. Hope you get it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 20, 2017, 08:56 AM   #3
jackstrawIII

My Shield has been 100% reliable. Interested to hear how this works out for you.
Old March 20, 2017, 12:04 PM   #4
O4L

If I remember correctly, the guy in the other thread took his to a gunsmith that whacked the slide with a (rubber) hammer and put the recoil spring back on correctly. Problem solved.
Old March 20, 2017, 03:47 PM   #5
Excoastie

I had a similar problem with my Shield, though mine was on reassembly.

I took it to a gunsmith at my LGS, and as stated above all he claimed to have done was wack it with a hammer. He said it was the recoil spring not properly aligned.

I haven't had a chance to take it out since then though....

Exco
Old March 20, 2017, 08:41 PM   #6
GarandTd

Interesting. Glad I didn't save up a few more pennies for the shield.
Old March 20, 2017, 08:49 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

Mine has never had an issue. I also recall that the problem was with the recoil spring/rod. I'd be curious . . . I'm assuming that you field stripped it and cleaned/lubed before you shot it. Are you sure that when you reassembled it that the recoil spring/rod was pushed all the way down on the barrel when you reinstalled it? Not questioning your ability . . but I seem to remember reading some posts quite a while back where not making sure it was all the way "in place" was the "guilty cause" of slide lock back problems. I believe the issue is when the back end of the recoil spring/rod - the end closed to the chamber - is not pushed down all the way and when it's fired, it locks the slide back tight as can be?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 20, 2017, 08:49 PM   #8
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
I have had a Shield for my carry gun for a couple of years. No problems whatsoever!
Old March 20, 2017, 10:17 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
You can find individual stories of issues with just about every gun on the market. If one story stops you from carrying something, you wouldn't ever carry anything.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 20, 2017, 10:28 PM   #10
GarandTd

I'm sure the shield is a fine weapon. I also understand that any pistol can have issues. The shield gets pushed quite a bit in response to some other "budget" or "cheap" alternatives when it clearly is not any more reliable than lesser priced pistols.

I digress, as my comments are not helping the op solve his problem.
Old March 20, 2017, 10:33 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
The shield gets pushed quite a bit in response to some other "budget" or "cheap" alternatives when it clearly is not any more reliable than lesser priced pistols.
How does this show the Shield "clearly is not any more reliable than lesser priced pistols?" All this shows is that you can buy a Shield and potentially have issues. It says nothing about the percentage of Shields that do have issues, and it certainly says nothing about the percentage of other pistols from other brands that do or do not have issues. Moreso it doesn't perform any sort of comparison at all.

If you like other pistols over the Shield and feel they're a better buy, that's your call. But to use this thread as an example for that belief is kind of silly.
Old March 20, 2017, 10:41 PM   #12
Targa

I locked up my full size M&P years ago in the same fashion, it was a recoil spring issue that if I remember correctly (please use caution if you try this, as I am cloudy on the details of how I freed it up and I don't want you to damage your Shield on a poor suggestion) but I believe I put the muzzle on a desk and pushed down with my weight in order to free the action on the slide from the bound up spring. To take it a bit further (again, if I remember correctly), I didn't center the guide rod properly when I put it together which caused it to bind up.
Old March 21, 2017, 06:53 AM   #13
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
How does this show the Shield "clearly is not any more reliable than lesser priced pistols?" All this shows is that you can buy a Shield and potentially have issues. It says nothing about the percentage of Shields that do have issues, and it certainly says nothing about the percentage of other pistols from other brands that do or do not have issues. Moreso it doesn't perform any sort of comparison at all.

If you like other pistols over the Shield and feel they're a better buy, that's your call. But to use this thread as an example for that belief is kind of silly.
His post here is a carry over from another thread after someone suggested that he should save up enough money to buy a Shield.

He hated that suggestion so much that he had to taint this thread with his comment.
Old March 21, 2017, 07:52 AM   #14
Don P

Just a thought on S&W's pro shop guns. Just my opinion from personally seeing guns on the range and taking what I read on the half truth web. The pro shop is over stated and IN MY OPINION a sales gimmick like +P+P, zombie killer, red tip super duper absolutely killer ammo. I personally shot a 627 just under $1200 Performance center revolver that felt like they filled the side plate with sand. I've shot Taurus revolvers that had better feeling triggers for a fifth of the price. Just my 2 pennies worth.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 21, 2017, 11:09 AM   #15
odugrad

I'm curious about this issue. I don't own a Shield but I'm puzzled as to how this could happen. Is it an issue with the recoil spring? Guide rod? Both? Does the recoil spring come dislodged while shooting?

When reassembling, wouldn't you notice the guide rod/recoil spring aren't lined up?
Old March 21, 2017, 11:35 AM   #16
Texas45

S&W Shield Problem

I at one time owned 3 shields 2 40 and a 45.
Currently own 2 1 40 and 1 45.
Fired probably at least 2500 or so thru them in total and have taken um down countless times.

Never an issue with any of them and never had issue with "improperly installing" the return spring.

Which Ive seen be an issue for some on this and other forums.

I have 100% confidence in the weapon.

odugrad I ask myself the same thing
Its pretty simple.

In regard to the comments Ive seen and read about "orientating it properly" I have never pay attention I just install it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 21, 2017, 03:16 PM   #17
RECTIFIER

The Shield is a proven design, I've been carrying mine for over a year.

I shoot it well, & like it so much ,when another came along at a great price I bought it.

A proud owner of two 9mm Shields.
Old March 21, 2017, 05:29 PM   #18
rt11002003

I ran a box of Freedom reman thru my Shield .45ACP on Friday. No problems. Cleaned it on Saturday. It memory serves me, the guide rod has a scallop on one side where it fits against the barrel. I can see where one could turn the scalloped portion away from the barrel and result in jamming.

Of course, my memory might be wrong. I was cleaning several other pistols; I know several of them had the scalloped guide rod.
Old March 28, 2017, 10:49 PM   #19
Glockgreat23

Never had a problem shooting mine, but cleaning it one time it locked back and I mean that thing was jammed. In a bit of a frustrated fir of anger, I hit the hell out it with my palm and it snapped shut. Can't say I recommend it, hurts! Without better explanation I will blame myself, but let us know what you find out
Old March 31, 2017, 09:26 PM   #20
Rich_357

I've had my spring out of alignment twice after reassembly; the slide would not rack. I jiggled it a little bit and it popped back into place. It's never happened while actually firing the weapon...
Old April 1, 2017, 05:30 PM   #21
DAKA

No problem with the 9 mm Shield approx 700 rounds.
Just one thing, I am finding that racking the slide is getting harder...(as I get older and weaker)
I really enjoy shooting it, its my most accurate....
Old April 4, 2017, 08:07 PM   #22
Groundhog34

I called S&W today to find out the status of my return and I was told it would be 3 weeks before the gunsmith gets to look at the gun. I do not think the Shield has any more problems than Glock, Springfield, HK or any other high quality pistol I do believe S&W's customer service is worse than the afore mentioned companies. I am VERY unhappy about the 3 week wait to have the gun looked at much less repaired.
Old April 4, 2017, 08:22 PM   #23
TunnelRat

As an FYI, the industry standard is usually a month long turnaround. I'm not sure when you sent it in but if it's within that it's pretty normal.
Old April 4, 2017, 08:30 PM   #24
DAKA

I just bought PERFORMANCE CENTER 9mm,
There was is a rebate and Bass Pro Shops was giving a 10% discount...
Depending on how I like it, maybe the "old" one will go ....
Old April 5, 2017, 12:32 AM   #25
whiskey26

I registered just to reply to this. ( I looked when this happened to me and didn't see much out there)

I bought a Shield 9mm about a 2 months ago. It was between that and a Glock. I chose the shield.

My first time to the range, at about 170 rounds I had the exact same thing happen. The slide was pinned back, all the way back, after ejecting the shell, it really freaked me out. I dropped the mag, and got it to where I could remove the slide and checked the spring. After visual inspection, everything looked ok, so I put it back, and sent another 20 or so rounds through it before the same thing happened again. This time I slammed it forward on the wood paneling of box I was in. I continued to fire it, and after about another 200 rounds I decided to leave ( no more problems after that last time). Also, one thing I can say is that it racks much smoother than when I first shot it.

I have since sent another close to 800 rounds through. Only one issue since, just a round that didn't fire on first strike. Second run through was fine.

Later on, I checked the S&W forums, and this is apparently not unheard of, a lot of folks seem to send it in and have the spring replaced, and some It could be operator error. I personally have always owned Sig handguns, but this was to be my daily carry and I wanted to try something different. So having this happen not only had me shocked, but a little angry that I didn't go with my first instinct which was the Glock.

I'm not trying to start any religious debates (gun is better than that), this is just one person's opinion. I haven't had an issue with it since. But unfortunately it may have ruined trust for me.

But yeh, if you are getting here from a google search, just check that the spring is seated correctly or you may have to send it in to the MFR. Reliability is paramount, so I would definitely make sure that your specific weapon is trustworthy before carrying.