The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 4, 2013, 06:02 PM   #26
aryfrosty

1911s

I recently bought a NIB Colt Govt model that has a great action. Too great. I'm a nitpicker and I realized that the hammer will fall from the half-cock position. I would never carry it in that position but for 900 smackers I want it right. I went two days ago and bought a NIB Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II that has passed the nit-picker's exam with flying colors. 200 more than the Colt but it IS sweet. I have never owned a bad Kimber.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:48 PM   #27
Tucker 1371

I just bought a Colt Rail Gun and it is phenomenal. Not the purdiest 1911 out there but it feeds dang near anything, brass, steel, FMJ, JHP, ZMAX, 230gr, 185gr, and is stupid accurate.

OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 4, 2013, 09:56 PM   #28
Auto426

Quote:
I recently bought a NIB Colt Govt model that has a great action. Too great. I'm a nitpicker and I realized that the hammer will fall from the half-cock position. I would never carry it in that position but for 900 smackers I want it right. I went two days ago and bought a NIB Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II that has passed the nit-picker's exam with flying colors. 200 more than the Colt but it IS sweet. I have never owned a bad Kimber.
If your gun is a Series 80, and the hammer falls from half cock when you pull the trigger, the gun is working as intended. The Series 80 pistols use a redesigned half cock notch that is really just a shelf. It doesn't have any hooks to grab the sear like a Series 70 hammer would. As such, there is nothing to stop the sear from moving when you pull the trigger.

Last edited by Auto426; January 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old January 5, 2013, 02:01 AM   #29
aryfrosty

Thanks

I appreciate the info.
Old January 5, 2013, 02:06 AM   #30
9mm

Got a Springfield 1911, very nice for the price. They been around for long time, and can't go wrong.
Old January 5, 2013, 07:25 AM   #31
Hal

Quote:
I would consider another colt (i have a combat elite) but none of their other models seem to strike me...I love the colt I have but feel that adding another full size would be essentially the same pistol.
One word - Commander..

It's amazing how much difference only 3/4" makes.

I agree w/Fishbed - Colt all the way..
Old January 5, 2013, 02:20 PM   #32
dgludwig

My recommendation is for a SIG. Their 1911 variants are well-finished, reliable and accurate. Specifically, I'd opt for either the Model TTT or the Model STX-I love the smaller ("tactical") size, adjustable rear night sights mounted on these two models.
Old January 5, 2013, 07:41 PM   #33
grantman

I had a springfield 1911 stainless loaded that had trouble feeding any ammo with multiple mags (springfield factory mags, wilson, shooting star) without any improvement after changing the recoil spring as well. My friend had a sig 220 extreme so I traded the gun and a small amount of $ to him and haven't looked back. I love springfield xdm's but after this bad experience with a 1911 I feel that I should stay away unless it's a higher end american made springer (not the brazilian imbel).