The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 26, 2015, 01:29 PM   #1
WebleyBloke

Need advice stripping Colt Pocket 9

I've owned this powerful little gun since buying it new in 1999 and like it a lot. The recoil is manageable, it feels good in the hand and looks very very sweet. I never did fire it much though and hadn't touched it in years until recently. Now that I'm planning to shoot it again I'm remembering what a bear it is to remove the recoil spring/guide rod assembly from the slide in order to clean the barrel, and then to replace it all afterwards. I just tried doing it and almost drew blood! I could try using needle-nose pliers I suppose but I'd hate to bend or scratch anything. This piece is in A1 mint condition.

I'd rather not shoot the gun without being confident that I know how to disassemble and reassemble it properly. So you experts out there, any suggestions? I suppose I'll figure something out on my own, after all I have cleaned it before, but maybe someone knows a clever little trick I can use or just has a suggestion I could try. Compressing the springs by pushing them forward does not allow you to easily remove them from the rest of the slide assembly.

All the manual says regarding removal of the recoil springs is as follows: "5. Take up tension of recoil springs, then lift springs and recoil spring guide up and out of the slide." Easier said than done .....

Searching the internet has not yielded the information I'm looking for although I did find it reassuring that others have had the same problem. This DAO 1911-style Colt uses a double recoil spring set-up which is unusual apparently.

I called up Colt this morning and the guy said. "We don't give advice of this kind for liability reasons". Only In America.

-----------------

Later: OK so I did barely manage to remove the recoil spring/guide assembly by squeezing both springs towards the middle with all my finger strength while drawing it out away from the barrel. Replacing it was no easier.

Last edited by WebleyBloke; January 26, 2015 at 07:49 PM.