The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 20, 2015, 06:34 AM   #26
BoogieMan

Ruger Red Label is going around $1k and is a beautiful OU. Competes with many in the $15-$1800 range.
If you need to be around $500 the Baikal guns (turkish or russian) are not bad. I picked one up a few years back in 20ga. Handles nice, looks great from 10' away. The internals (ejectors, sides of action etc) are sharper than a razor and need to be gone over with a china stone. I have about a 1000rnds through it and its never had an issue. However it says that it will either extract or eject with a setting change. I have never been able to get it to extract only.
Beware of any used Browning Cynergy- from what I hear they had many issues with them.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 20, 2015, 08:44 AM   #27
Virginian

Red Label is now history.
You can get good, and reliable, and affordable (cheap?), but not all three in the same gun.
Old March 20, 2015, 09:21 AM   #28
BoogieMan

Quote:
Red Label is now history.
http://www.ruger.com/products/redLabel/index.html
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 20, 2015, 03:42 PM   #29
FITASC

Yep, and it won't be long before parts are unavailable.....

Quote:
There are some pretty decent O/U scatterguns at Dick's Sporting Goods
No, really, there aren't.

For the OP's price range, he MIGHT luck into (seriously doubtful though) a used BT-99. In his price range a used Beretta gas gun like a 303, 390 or 391 is actually more doable, better built than stuff from Turkey (and I own a Turkish SxS that is very well made) and it will also stand up to the rigors of a large volume of ammo through it. Huglu makes somewhat decent guns, AKUS makes even better, but most are not designed to go the distance like a BT-99, let alone a Ljutic or Silver Seitz.

BTW, $1500 is nothing for a quality target shotgun, most of the "B" brands in that range (not all mind you) will be field versions, not target versions. And yes, there is a difference, especially in weight.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 20, 2015, 09:40 PM   #30
OkieCruffler

Red Labels were everywhere when this thread started. Probably a few rotary phones were too.
Old March 20, 2015, 11:06 PM   #31
HiBC

First,I'm not a trapshooter,and I'm not much of a shotgunner.

Long ago,after getting laid off,I had a little severance pay.Not exactly mad money.I saw a closeout on the Berretta 686 Essential O/U for $599?Maybe $699.
Its been my go-to shotgun ever since..IMO,for an O/U a Berretta 686 is a good,sound shotgun.I do not know the used market on them.

But what I have noticed that has gone on around me,whether its SxS fans,O/U fans,Pump fans,or any other,once they try the Bennelli semi-auto....

Most all seem to end up getting one.
Old April 7, 2015, 06:20 PM   #32
S_Constitutionist

Turkish made O/Us will simply not hold up to a "serious" volume of targeting shooting. What serious means is up to you, but I've owned a few cheap O/Us and none of them lasted long with how often I shoot.

The Remington 870 trap is affordable and should work very well for you.
Old April 8, 2015, 03:27 PM   #33
glenncal1

Browning makes a BPS Trap gun with adjustable chokes so you could use is for just about anything. I think they are $600-700 new

Many K and N Frames
Old April 8, 2015, 08:23 PM   #34
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Along Big Jim's Browning vein, there's the venerable Browning BT-99 single barrel trap gun that can be had for less than $1,500.
This^.
Old April 9, 2015, 10:59 AM   #35
pete2

If you can make do with a field gun instead of an actual trap gun(many shoot field guns) then a used Citori is pretty affordable. If you want an actual o/u trap gun prepare to pay more.
Old April 9, 2015, 11:43 AM   #36
FITASC

Since it is now four years since the OP, what ever happened?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 9, 2015, 11:52 AM   #37
Mike Irwin
Staff

Missed this one when it was resurrected...

Rule of thumb for everyone...

If your only purpose in resurrecting a years-old thread is to comment on it as if the original poster asked the question yesterday....

Don't.

There's a reason the thread went dormant for, in this case, 4 years...

The OP had his questions answered and everyone ran out of something to say.

If you have something to share with the group, then please open a new thread of your own.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread