The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 13, 2010, 11:21 PM   #26
45Gunner

A light coating of oil in the bore keeps the rust bunnies away. A clean patch run thru the bore prior to taking a gun to a range is always a good idea. It removes the excess oil, and....anything else that decided to make a home in the gun barrel.
NRA Life Member
Old July 15, 2010, 01:46 AM   #27
hemiram

I bought a used, but in very good condition Dan Wesson Model 15-2 a few years ago, and when I picked it up, it looked fine, but it was loaded with unburned powder that had gone into everywhere it could inside the gun to the point where it barely was able to be cocked. When I got it home, I took the sideplate off, and the stuff was caked up inside to the point the only parts not coated with it were parts that moved and rubbed on other ones. I took a little pan and put all the guts from the gun inside it, and while they were soaking, I started cleaning up the frame. I used gun scrubber to get the easy stuff off, and it got maybe 50% off, then I used a toothbrush, and worked at it for long time, and eventually nothing more came out. I looked over the inner works as I put the gun back together, and they were fine, and the gun ended up being about the second smoothest DW I ever had. The barrel looked bad, but a couple runs through it with a Lewis Lead Remover cleaned it up really nicely, and the gun shot great. I always wondered how many rounds had it taken to get it that way, and what kind of ammo left that kind of unburned flakes everywhere?
Old July 15, 2010, 06:55 AM   #28
sonnycrockett

Some of us own parts washers......
Great for Barrels that are really dirty
Old July 15, 2010, 07:03 AM   #29
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Some of us own parts washers......

Does your wife know how you talk about her on the Internet?
Old July 15, 2010, 03:28 PM   #30
DAS9mm

I live in Alaska and we do not even require a CCP to CC or OC

Alaska, Arizona, and Delaware! That's my America.

And Vermont
Old July 15, 2010, 04:14 PM   #31
Uncle Malice

Oops! I meant Vermont instead of Delaware.

Only 3 states have legal CC without permit. Delaware does not.

Old July 19, 2010, 10:02 PM   #32
OldLincoln

You're talking about cleaning and one post referred to a military base/post that reminded me of my USAF base. The jet engines in those days were particularly dirty. By the time it had the required hours to need a tare down the inards were coated with burned on gunk you could get off using normal methods. So they had a huge vat of what they called "Panther ****". After being in the vat for a couple days the engines looked new when hoisted out.

You wouldn't put anything other than the barrel in that stuff, but you sure would have an easy job of cleaning.

Me? I use non-carbonated Brake cleaner for all parts, including the barrel. It doesn't hurt the plastic and removes most of the barrel crud. Just a minute or so with Gunzilla & brush, rinse and run a few patches and you are done.
Old July 19, 2010, 10:20 PM   #33
TeamSinglestack

Quote:
"Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!"

Yea, I was thinking the same thing...

"Test some unknown ammo you bought at a garage sale with MY gun? Uh...NO. Are you HIGH!?"
Old July 20, 2010, 01:29 AM   #34
Powderman

If you have a filthy firearm (handgun, that is) I have the solution.

1. Get a cheap ultrasonic cleaner from Flea-Bay.
2. Dissassemble gun as much as possible.
3. Fill ultrasound with a 50/50 solution of hot water and Simple Green.
4. Put parts in and turn it on for 30 minutes. Watch the crud literally FLY off.

Trust me, it works! I de-cosmolined a Mauser bolt in 5 minutes with this stuff.
Old July 20, 2010, 02:30 PM   #35
rtpzwms

Mine was a new Remmington SPR100 Just full of cosmoline. It was everywhere after two "normal" cleanings I had to strip it completely and sit outside and scrub every part. The firing pin was so coated it would stick and not hit the primer. I've never worked so hard on a new gun!
Old July 21, 2010, 02:35 AM   #36
Arondos

"Actually a good bore brush soaked in something such as Hoppe's will do a splendid job of removing the gunk that builds up in the barrel grooves and save yourself lots of patches. After running the bore brush thru a few times, take a patch completely soaked in that stuff and run it thru, letting the chemical sit in the barrel for a few minutes to dissolve whatever gunpowder residue is left. Now take the patches and run them thru, finishing up with a light coating of oil.'

That was how I was taught to clean a barrel by my old man (former Marine and LEO). I frequently am thankful for some of the habits he taught me with firearms.

Tags
clean , dirty , field strip , glock , gsr