The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 14, 2009, 08:55 PM   #1
NightCreature2112

Ruger Mk2 Firing Pin

I've had this gun for quite awhile and got a little ambitious cleaning it this time. Going one step farther than I probably should have, I removed the firing pin from the bolt to clean it. It was not nearly as dirty underneath there as I had anticipated. Now I can't get the pin to sit properly on the rebound spring assembly. The spring assembly keeps dropping away everytime I try to put it back together - maybe it's my short thick fumble-fingers. Is there any trick to this? Thanks.
Old February 14, 2009, 09:58 PM   #2
sadsack

Night: Are you saying that the firing pin or the recoil spring assembly drops out? The recoil assembly has to pushed in place and its the spring pressure that holds it there. If the firing pin is dropping out, you either left out the stop pin or missed the hole in the firing pin.
Old February 14, 2009, 10:03 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I suspect you have the firing pin spring/guide in wrong, a common problem. The guide goes to the front, with the tip pointing down ("hump" upward), and the spring to the rear. With the guide up against its seat at the front, insert the firing pin from the rear and seat it down and forward until its shoulder comes up against the spring. Then check it for spring tension before installing the firing pin retaining pin.

Jim
Old February 14, 2009, 10:17 PM   #4
sadsack

Duhh!!! I've GOT to learn how to read.
Old February 15, 2009, 02:41 PM   #5
NightCreature2112

Thanks

Slide the pin in from the rear - duh. I was trying to drop it in. I had the positioning of all the parts correct per the manual - yes - read the manual first, kids. Then search the tech forums. When all else fails - post here I did manage to figure this out last night after posting - but thanks all the same - inevitably someone else will pull the same stunt!

Last edited by NightCreature2112; February 15, 2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: clarity
Old February 15, 2009, 11:03 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

On my own guns, I used to deliberately put that spring and guide in backward, with the bent end of the guide upward to catch the firing pin. It worked that way, and I thought it was better as it provided more engagement for the firing pin. But I go by the book when advising folks on stuff like this.

Jim
Old February 15, 2009, 11:40 PM   #7
sadsack

Night: I apologize. I was aiming that at myself, I misread your post.