The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 31, 2008, 05:31 PM   #1
boatmonkey82

10/22 ruger not feeding right !!!

i have a older 10/22 ruger and no matter the clip it will shove the unfired bullet up before the spent shell is spit out . or it wont spit the spent shell out at all . gun is clean as a pin and all seems to be tight , whats the deal ?
Old December 31, 2008, 05:46 PM   #2
KMO

Pull out the trigger group and make certain the extractor is resting in the proper groove, and then re-install the group.

One other consideration...Are you using ammunition that has enough "umph" to cycle a semi-auto rifle?

Last edited by KMO; January 1, 2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old December 31, 2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Loader9

The 10/22 is a blow back system and doesn't use the extractor for normal cycling. The extractor only works when ejecting an unfired round. The last 1/4" of the clip is actually the extractor. You can have several issues but it boils down to the bolt is not fully cycling. Have you mounted a scope and then the issue came up? If yes, the screws in the mounts are probably binding against the top of the bolt slowing it down. Have you lubed the bolt guide rod/spring? Have you disassembled the clip and cleaned it? They are easy to do. If you have done a total disassembly of the rifle, did you get the hammer spring back in correctly. The slot in the retaining washer MUST face up or expect issues. Do you have any after market parts in it or is it 100% as purchased Ruger? Usually, the problem is the clips. Use only Ruger brand or expect issues. And if you haven't cleaned them- clean 'em. If you need directions how, I can post it up. And check what kmoffit said about the extractor going into the groove in the barrel.
Old December 31, 2008, 10:13 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Concur with under-function as the cause. Something is slowing down the bolt's rearward travel. Remove the bolt and clean it and the receiver. Check for burrs on the receiver and bolt. As suggested, check to see if the scope base screws aren't protruding into the receiver such that they'll drag on the bolt (you'll see scratch marks on the bolt where the screw's top contacts the bolt). Also, are you use Ruger magazines of some aftermarket?
Old January 1, 2009, 01:43 PM   #5
ndking1126

Has it always done this? Did it just start? Just start after doing something to the rifle (like install a new part, full dissambly for cleaning, trying a new brand of ammo, etc)?
Old January 1, 2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Harry Bonar

10-22

Sir;
I've never heard of a good, clean 10-22 jamming.
Get some Winchester ammo (Wildcat is good) make sure it's clean, DO NOT use aftermarket magazines (none of them are reliable) and shoot!
Harry B.
Old January 1, 2009, 10:52 PM   #7
Inspector3711

Another thing... Yours is older so it may not matter but... My 3 year old 10/22 has a warning not to use hyper velocity ammo. I've read up and the reading inicates that the action is timed for regular and high velocity ammo, not hyper. More reading indicates that hyper ammo can cause jamming.

I use Peters brown box and Federal Automatch with great accuracy and reliability results.

Another thought... I installed a Butler Creek target barrel on mine. It jammed fairly often until I put 100 rounds through it. 1500 rounds now with no jams.
Old January 1, 2009, 10:59 PM   #8
Tom2

No hyper vel? Heck I always used to shoot stingers in mine, and the only beef was groups not as tight as standard ammo. I always used at least hi vel. ammo of the standard breed in mine, not match grade or something with less mv. Truncated cone nose bullets instead of rounded always seemed to hang up for me, though. Yep you can have scope mount screws that are too long... Did you put some kind of shok buffer or something inside the receiver, by chance?
Old January 2, 2009, 11:34 AM   #9
Dustin0

Can Someone post the takedown info for me. I have cleaned my 10/22 for the 1st time in 20 years. (yes really 20 years) Now the bolt feels gritty when you pull it back. I need to know how to get it out of the reciever. Aslo the takedown of the trigger group would be good also. Thanks
Old January 2, 2009, 05:01 PM   #10
Scorch

10/22 disassembly:
1- Remove the magazine and check that the action in unloaded.
2- Remove front band (if so equipped).
3- Loosen the action screw (in front of the magazine well).
4- Center the safety button, lift the barreled action out of the stock.
5- Push the buffer pin out of the receiver.
6- Push the trigger group pins out of the reciever.
7- Pull the bolt to the rear until it lifts out of the action. It is retained by two rails that have a cutout at the rear of the action. DO NOT launch the bolt handle/recoil spring assembly across the room!

Assembly is in reverse order.
Old January 2, 2009, 06:42 PM   #11
kyle663

go to rimfirecentral

they have an entire section on the 10/22. every trick and modificatiion you could imagine.
Old January 2, 2009, 07:37 PM   #12
Bowhunter

boatmonkey82, If you want that 10/22 to operate trouble free, order yourself a Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor from Brownell's, (#930-000-010AB) give the gun a good cleaning and install the new Volquartsen extractor and the spring that comes with it. I have Gunsmithed for 42 + years. Trust me on this and then let me know how it works out for you!......................Dick