The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2008, 08:47 AM   #1
mikenbarb

Ballistic tips not fitting in my press, Is there a trick?

Im loading .300 Win.Mag. with 180gr. Nosler ballistic tips and they just wont fit under my press if I go straight in with them. They will work if I go on an angle but its a pain in the neck. I never have a problem with any other bullet and just these give me problems. I have 3 large presses and I tried with all. I have a Herters Super 81, Herters 234 turret and a Lee challenger O press. Does anyone know if theres a trick to get a lesser length before going into the press. I have tried to push them in by hand and cant press the point of the bullet on anything due to the tip. Thanks in advance, Mike
Old August 1, 2008, 09:06 AM   #2
Sevens

You should be able to slide the bullet up in to the body of the die, then bring the ram up to do the job for you.

If that doesn't work, one of the manufacturer's make a bullet seating die with a cut-out in the side that allows you to place the bullet in to it. Hornady, maybe?
Old August 1, 2008, 09:58 AM   #3
DEDON45

I would just do what Sevens said, just kind of put the bullet in the die a bit before you bring the Ram up... you might try the RCBS competition bullet seater, it's the one with the window in it... you may want to call or email them first to make sure the window is tall enough to take that bullet before you purchase it.
Old August 1, 2008, 10:04 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

I had the same problem with BT's and did exactly what Sevens suggested - point fed up in the die cavity and base dropped into the case mouth.

If you can't get that to work due to the long length of the .300 WM case, you might have to place the bullet in the die cavity and hold it in place with a piece of cardboard or something similar, then place the case in the shell holder and let the bullet seat on the case mouth.

If the bullet/case is too long to allow for the above, you might have to seat bullets in two stages. That is, crank the bullet seating plug way up and seat the bullets about halfway, then reset the die and finish seating the bullets to the correct OAL.

Final option - buy a press that allows for long cases.
Old August 1, 2008, 04:27 PM   #5
mikenbarb

Mal H, I have 3 real large presses and not going to get much bigger than the ones I have. Im going to look into a side feed die for it. I know their alot but in the long run it will be worth it. This is main BR gun and I do alot of loading for it but just started to load these bullets and never had a problem bofore with others. Or, I will just load these up and not buy them again depending how well or not they shoot. Thanks everyone.
Old August 1, 2008, 06:00 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Since the bullet seating die can be adjusted within a short range without affecting the seating, can you screw it out a little and screw down the seating plug the same amount? That might eliminate any interference being caused by the die base leaving only the distance from the case neck to the press itself.

I guess I don't understand why it is a "pain in the neck" to insert the bullet at an angle into the die and then onto the case.
Old August 1, 2008, 06:37 PM   #7
wncchester

" Im going to look into a side feed die for it."

Those are RCBS dies, you can buy a Lee Classic Cast press for less. It's big enough to load .50 Browning.
Old August 1, 2008, 06:45 PM   #8
mikenbarb

The die im using is a Herters and it dont have alot of play in it to put cases in on an angle. Their a big chunky die with lots of metal to them. I can start the bullet in the die but its not easy and I like to see that their started properly beforehand. And I have a Lee chalenger and its the same deal. I gotta play with it more and see what I can do different. I like the side seating dies and this gives me an excuse to buy one. I love my press and dont want to get another just for loading 300's. I have 3 on the bench and the wife would crap because she already thinks I have lost it with my obsession for the perfect round.
Theres more die makers out there besides RCBS for the side load.
Old August 1, 2008, 07:42 PM   #9
BigJakeJ1s

The Lee Classic Cast press is NOT the Lee challenger (old or new). It has a cast iron/steel frame, all steel toggle/linkage, a much larger ram, longer stroke and larger capacity.

Andy
Old August 1, 2008, 08:47 PM   #10
mikenbarb

Nice press. Ever seen a Herters Super 81 or 234 turret? Their the other two I own and you would agree with me that I dont want to get another if I can make either of those work. I looked at the side load dies and their expensive but not out of reach. I gotta save a few bucks to get one if these bullets shoot good for me.
Old August 2, 2008, 08:18 PM   #11
BigJakeJ1s

Yes, a windowed seating die would likely work best to allow you to use your Herters presses. RCBS makes two types of them, the Competition series, which need extended shell holders for 308 and shorter lengths. They also sell the sleeve and punch for different calibers to allow you to have one windowed die and several sets of guts for different cartridges. Their newer Gold Medal windowed seating die does not require an extended shell holder, but I don't know about interchangeable insides for different cartridges. Vickerman windowed dies also require extended shell holders, but I'm not sure for which cartridges.

Andy
Old August 2, 2008, 10:07 PM   #12
mikenbarb

BigJake, Thanks. I would only need one set up for 30 caliber because the only load that gives me trouble is the 300 Win.Mag with ballistic tips and the others are fine. I loaded up 15 of them by inserting the bullet first and im going to shoot them tommorow. If they shoot good, I will buy the side load. If not, Im going to stick with my current setup and bullets.
Old August 3, 2008, 03:40 AM   #13
Sport45

Are you putting the bullet on the case before you put the case in the shell holder? Try putting the charged case in the shell holder and then tipping the bullet up unto the die before starting it into the case mouth.

I've never seen a seating die with a window in it but it seems like you would be at the mercy of the thread geometry as to which way the slot was oriented once you had the crimp (if any) set.
Old August 3, 2008, 07:39 AM   #14
Mal H
Staff

Sport45, please don't be offended, but I've gotta ask if you read any of the posts following the first one that discussed how to get the bullet in the case mouth?
Old August 3, 2008, 10:04 AM   #15
Sport45

I'm not offended in the least. I read and understood what everyone was saying but I wasn't sure the OP did by the way he kept describing his process. Just trying to make sure everyone's on the same page.
Old August 3, 2008, 10:39 AM   #16
mikenbarb

Sport, you would be able to adjust the die to your ram throw and with the seating adjuster to add a half turn or so if needed. A good side loader is a RCBS Compitition seating die. Their a great option for loading but expensive. I kept explaining my process because everyone kept saying to do it the way I was already. I am currently putting the case under under the bullet that is already in the die, then raising the case into it. I dont like to do it this way and like to see how my bullets are seated prior to raising into the seating die.
Im going to the range in a bit to see how they shoot and that will determine if im going to spend the money on the die or just stick with what im already shooting.
Old August 3, 2008, 08:03 PM   #17
BigJakeJ1s

Be careful, your other rifles/cartridges might get jealous about you only having the RCBS comp seat die for 300 winmag!

Andy