The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old April 12, 2008, 04:55 PM   #1
RandyStacyE

Promag Magazines

I purchased 2 'supposedly 15 rnd Promag magazines' from www.gunclips.net
http://www.gunclips.net/wap9940cal12.html

BOTH SUCK. Neither of them completely latch in place and they don't even hold 15 rnds! ! ! They only hold 14.

My Walther P99 is brand new with less than 90 rnds fired.

Now I've purchased non-factory mags before ... even from www.cheaperthandirt.com and they've all worked for many years. I'm just apauled that JUNK like this is even allowed to fall into the hands of a customer.

Last edited by RandyStacyE; April 12, 2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old April 12, 2008, 07:03 PM   #2
RsqVet

Have you contacted this site?

Are they owned by pro-mag?

Have they offered to refund / exchange / deal with the issue?

Have you left the mags loaded for a few days then tried to get the 15th in? I have had to do this on many a factory mag.

Frankly the idea that pro-mag does not make as good of a product as factory mags is not news to me and I'd never buy them, however you seem to to be venting anger and the vendor AND the maker here... without much evidance that the vendor was failing in this transaction. I'd suggest that you try any and all of these things then report back here what happens.
Old April 12, 2008, 07:34 PM   #3
RandyStacyE

New mags ... loaded them for the first time today ... will not latch into place completely. Give the mag a little pull and it releases. I removed 1 rnd, same deal. Removed 2-3 more, same deal. Removed all rnds, same deal.

I own a brand new Walther P99. Fact.

I listed the link where I purchased the mags because that is the link which I purchased them from. Fact.

Both mags do not function at all. If one didn't work, that might leave one with a little 'hope' but both are equally worthless. Fact.

Angered? Who wouldn't be a little angry?

Of course I'll expect a refund and I’m sure I’ll get one (if not I’ll do a 100% chargeback on the credit card).

Point being I wish I read a thread that suggested NOT to buy Promag mags for a Walther P99.

I'm sure this company is not owned by Promag, but I am still appalled that JUNK like this is actually sold when it obviously is designed incorrectly. Do all Promags SUCK? Likely not all of them, but it is highly unlikely that I did not recieve 2 rare defective mags for a Walther P99 in one order.
Old April 12, 2008, 07:42 PM   #4
hoytinak

The problem was buying anything Pro Mag anyways, I've never had good luck with any of their products.....but before you go off on both companies, you might try contacting them about the problem and see if they fix it for ya first.
Old April 12, 2008, 07:58 PM   #5
rantingredneck

Quote:
Likely not all of them,
Judging from personal experience and the number of "Promag Sucks" threads, I'd say it's very likely.
Old April 12, 2008, 08:23 PM   #6
RandyStacyE

Bummer ... and I try not to be a pessimist.
Old April 12, 2008, 08:41 PM   #7
Ridge_Runner_5

ProMag makes magazines for HiPoints, too...none of them feed.

The only good experience Ive had with ProMag is the endplate sling adapter on my AR
Old April 12, 2008, 08:43 PM   #8
RandyStacyE

hoytinak,

I just have to ask ... how does the seller compensate a customer in order to "fix it"?

In my experience they compensate you by giving you a refund for the PRODUCT PRICE ONLY (not shipping both ways). Of course if they happen to volunteer a 100% refund then FINE. How many more P99 mags will they continue to sell?

I have one question ... if you owned a Walther P99 would you now buy several Promag magazines after reading this? That's the point.

Compensation to ONLY the ones that pitch a bitch is not 'fixing it' in my opinion. Fixing it is to FIX THE DESIGN and selling a product that WORKS!

NOTICE that I am not and have not bashed anyone. I am only bashing a product that SUCKS and doesn't function in ANY capacity.

TACTICOOL products are not built for ‘all practical purposes’. A 15 round magazine is NOT a “tacticool” item … it is a necessity in order to fire a weapon which it meant to defend lives. Producing a magazine that does not fit into the weapon which it was designed for is NOT a responsible action. A magazine that properly functions is just as important as the firing pin. This is simply a 100% accurate report of a product and where the product was purchased. Of course the company didn’t make the mags which is obvious.
Old April 12, 2008, 09:09 PM   #9
hoytinak

Quote:
hoytinak,

I just have to ask ... how does the seller compensate a customer in order to "fix it"?
I bought a factory Kel-Tec mag for my PF9. It wouldn't hold but 5 rounds and wouldn't lock into the firearm at all. I called Kel-Tec and told them that the mag didn't work and they sent me a new mag, no charge, that worked 100%. I feel that is good compensation and who knows ProMag might send you one, they might not...but they will only know of problems with their products if people notify them and let them know of the problems.
Old April 13, 2008, 01:38 PM   #10
RsqVet

Well..... If one does a search here at the TFL on the word "promag" one gets 700 plus threads, a quick review of which yields comments such as "would nto use them to prop up the leg of a table"

At the same time you will find folks who claim that their products form this company work acceptably well or better.

So I hardly think that the fact that promag is questionable at best is not available out there if one does some looking.

Furthermore while if I were a retailer I would not carry pro-mag, I hardly think that they are so bad that one should condem a retailer simply by virture of the fact that they sell promag.

I hope that you get your money back on the mags, as to shipping frankly that is asking alot of a retailer, if you bought them at a store would you ask for gas money?
Old April 13, 2008, 02:52 PM   #11
M14fan

Contact Promag!

I did this after purchasing two completely useless 20rd mags for Para Ord. They immediately sent me a return mail kit and offered to repair/replace the mags. Have not received them back yet but at least so far, their customer service has been friendly and prompt. If all their products function the way these did on initial purchase however, I consider them to be a waste of sheet metal. Will update when I received the mags back.