The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 28, 2007, 11:09 AM   #1
REDCELL

Traditions™ Trapper .50 OR Lyman plains

Traditions™ Trapper .50 Caliber Blackpowder Pistol
or
Lymans plains pstol

which has a better life expentancy under normal shooting conditions
the fit and finish looks nicer on the the traditons.
Old February 28, 2007, 11:22 PM   #2
arcticap

I think it mostly depends on how much the pistol eats, smokes & drinks!

Seriously though, which is colder, Maine or Minnesota?

Really though, the Traditions has a drum and double trigger, while the Lyman has a patent breech and a single trigger.
Which target medicine tastes better to you?

Quote:
How long is the Traditions warranty on Muzzleloaders?
Muzzleloading Rifles, Shotguns, side-lock pistols and single-shot pistols carry a Limited Lifetime Mechanical Warranty.

The Traditions Firearms warranty policies for specific categories of guns are as follows:

Blackpowder Rifles and Pistols manufactured by Ardesa of Spain
Traditions offers a limited lifetime mechanical warranty on parts from the date of purchase to the original owner of the gun. Any unserviceable part will repaired or replaced. This warranty does not include the effects of rust, corrosion, or other consumer neglect of the gun. This warranty also does not cover wood unless the gun is still new and unfired as the storage, handling, and care of wood stocks is beyond our control.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/tips.asp
But do they deliver the goods?
Old March 1, 2007, 05:12 PM   #3
AzShooter

I have the Trapper and really like it. One of my favorite pistols and shoots fantastic. I bought the kit from Sportsman's Warehouse for $149. Didn't take too long to put it together.

Old March 2, 2007, 11:45 AM   #4
shurshot

I'm not sure if Maine is colder (it feels it...LOL!), but I swear our Black Flys are much bigger!!! My Lyman Plains Pistol (Investarms/Italy) in .54 is comparable in quality, durability, fit and finish to Thompson Center Arms weapons. Lyman has sold the Plains Pistol since 1981. A very accurate pistol too. The picture posted above of the (Traditions Trapper) looks like a very smooth weapon as well. I'm guessing this is a newer gun? I got a bad taste for Traditions in the mid 90's, when I ended up w/ a Traditions Hawken .50 caliber; it was JUNK! The lock was terrible, fit/finish bad, trigger had about a 20 lbs pull. The wood looked like soft pine, although it was supposed to be "hardwood". I sold it quick! I do have to admit the Trapper pistol in this picture above (Nice kit job! ) has me reconsidering my personal boycott of Traditions guns.
Old March 3, 2007, 05:50 PM   #5
AzShooter

I've heard all the bad stories about Traditions but they sure have come a long way in the last couple of years. I now own the Trapper in the picture above and a .32 Crocket as well as a .50 William Parker and I'm very happy with all of them.