The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 1, 2000, 01:48 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

Hey guys,

I have a Uberti 1873 rifle in 45 long colt and I am interested in trying some black powder loads in it. How much fowling will this produce in the action? My concerns are in cleaning the gun afterwords. I know about the barrel, but do you generally end up having to strip the gun and clean the internal action parts as well?
Old March 1, 2000, 02:42 PM   #2
Joe West

Sooner or later you've got to clean it all, especially the mag tube and spring. That's why a '73 is good to use for BP because it's easy to take the side plates off and clean it.
Joe West

------------------
Old March 2, 2000, 12:01 AM   #3
Walther22lr

In my Uberti 1873(45 Colt too!) I have used Pyrodex with a Wonder Wad and a 255 RNFP. To clean it, (make sure its unloaded) I lock it horizontal into a work bench UPSIDE DOWN with the barrel tipped up a little. Stuff paper towels or a rag inside the action and clean the inside of the barrel with Windex (the one w/vinegar). The rags in the action keep the stuff from flowing into the action. When clean, turn it over and clean out the action from the top. In addition you can remove the side plates and clean out the inside of the action that way too. I've never really seen a lot of fowling back in the action where the links are though. Lube as usual.
Old March 2, 2000, 12:29 AM   #4
Alex Johnson

Thanks for all the information, I think it will be fun to shoot the 1873 with BP.