The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 16, 2015, 06:23 AM   #1
SARuger

Ruger Red Label 20g, woth the money?

I found one local for sale. I'm trying to negotiate the price but I think I can get it under 1K. Is it worth it? I'm a Ruger guy but I do not know anything about their shotguns.
Old May 16, 2015, 10:14 AM   #2
Jo6pak

This thread will most likely turn into a Red Label bash-fest.

I owned an old model 12 gauge for years and it saw a fair amount of range use. Never had any issues with it.

Are you looking at an old model or a new model?
Old May 16, 2015, 10:51 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

I had one for a while. Functioned well each time I took it out to shoot. However, it's not worth the price you're quoting here. I have owned a number of other shotguns I liked a lot better for handling and asthetics.
Old May 16, 2015, 10:52 AM   #4
FITASC

They are discontinued and will not be supported with parts in the long run. I owned one once from the first go around in 28 gauge. It went back three times and they never could get it right (which is why they discontinued them the first time). They tried it again a year or so ago and it still didn't work right, especially at their desired price point.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 16, 2015, 02:55 PM   #5
SARuger

Its a newer model. I offered $850, he has not answered back. I will let it die.
Old May 16, 2015, 04:20 PM   #6
bricz75

Quote:
They are discontinued and will not be supported with parts in the long run.
I was hoping this line would be a success.
Old May 16, 2015, 06:33 PM   #7
FITASC

A lot of folks did; but they had a bunch of issues.............
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 17, 2015, 11:04 AM   #8
Virginian

Looks like even a major manufacturer is going to have to give up on the concept of a good, cheap, O/U.
Old May 18, 2015, 09:02 AM   #9
FITASC

Depends on your version of "cheap" I guess. Good quality, entry level guns like Browning and Beretta will be well over $1K with target versions running closer to $2.5 - $3K. Those are guns that should last a lifetime with minimal needs for repairs.