The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 2, 2014, 12:32 AM   #1
Gbnk82

7.62x54r

Is it just me or did surplus 54r vanish overnight??i got some 2 weeks ago and it was everywhere still now I can't find it at all.does this have something to do with the 7n6 ban also or is it because of the sanctions against Russia??
Old April 2, 2014, 12:53 AM   #2
the rifleer

Its been in hight demand lately. You can still buy it online. I just googled it and found some in stock. My local gun shop has it and i saw it at the last gun show i went to, both at normal prices. You just have to look a little more.
Old April 2, 2014, 08:13 AM   #3
Xfire68

Yes not only can you still find it online American ammo company's make it such as Winchester although it's not "Cheap" at over a $1 a round.

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Wolf-...7099070844.htm
Old April 2, 2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Gbnk82

Yeah I knew about the commercial stuff I was referring just to surplus though.i wonder why demand has shot up so much in the last few days like I said I got some 2 weeks ago and it was everywhere now the only place I've found with it is widners and there price is outrageous
Old April 2, 2014, 09:28 AM   #5
jimbob86

Were I running a former Soviet bloc nation, and armed, uniformed "paramilitaries" without insignia invaded my nation, capturing military bases there .... and Russian armored divisions were massing on my border, or even running one of that country's neighbors .... I'd latch onto whatever military arms and ammo that was on the market .....
Old April 2, 2014, 10:05 AM   #6
madmo44mag

It's out there and the price is going up every day.
A lot of panic buying because folks are not sure what is going to happen in the near future.
When it come to surplus ammo you just have to buy it often and buy is cheap.
At some point it will run out.
Old April 2, 2014, 10:09 AM   #7
leadcounsel

The price has jumped about 10-20% every year for the last 5-10 years. If you haven't been paying attention then it may appear to be drying up overnight, but truth is it's been slowly evaporating.

You can still get it for about $120 per tin shipped, and if you want it you should get it now. Like many things, once it's gone, it's gone.

It's following the same trajectory as 8mm, 9mm, 7.62x39, 7.62x25, etc. all the other surplus calibers we've seen go from cheap and plentiful and "I should have bought a pallet at those prices," to "where the heck did it all go?"

Last edited by leadcounsel; April 2, 2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old April 2, 2014, 12:37 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Today's tensions in the part of the world where most of the surplus 7.62x54R comes from has noting to do with what is on the shelf today, although it could affect what's going to be available in a few months, or possibly slightly sooner.

The simple fact is, since the change from full size infantry rounds (.30-06, 8mm Mauser, .303 Brit, and even 7.62x54R) to intermediate size rounds in the rifles carried by the troops, supplies of the bigger, older designed rounds are reduced.

Several of the full size rounds still soldier on, as machine gun ammo, and likely will for a long time yet, but the huge supplies of non belted type stuff left over from the decades of war have been put on the market and are essentially now about gone.

The calibers of the former Communist nations were the last of them, and only because until the fall of Communism (soviet, in particular) neither the guns, nor the ammo was available to the US market.
Old April 2, 2014, 04:45 PM   #9
tahunua001

it's been running short for the last year or so. it doesn't surprise me that it can't be found right now.
Old April 2, 2014, 04:57 PM   #10
easyliven88

Check out this site...been using it for 2 years now...

http://www.gunbot.net/
Old April 2, 2014, 06:19 PM   #11
tobnpr

It was available EVERYWHERE, at the usual sub $200 price for 880 rounds right until the Ukraine "crisis"...

Someone said that Russian exports might stop, and everyone listened...

The round is still in active use, and production today- so I don't think surplus is going to "disappear". But if the panic buying continues with the surplus like it has with "regular" ammo, prices will continue to increase and availability decrease.

At least, at 440 rounds at a crack, it might not take long until everyone thinks they have "enough"...but who knows...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 3, 2014, 10:03 AM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The round is still in active use, and production today- so I don't think surplus is going to "disappear".
Actually, it could. The key word is "surplus". Meaning extra, unneeded, not required, or even not desired.

If the people sitting on the "surplus" stuff decide they need to hang on to it, is doesn't get released for sale, and the supply to us dries up.

Same if the powers that be decide to simply destroy the "surplus" rather than sell it. And factors inside the UN have been pushing for years for nations to do just that, rather than put the ammo on the market. Sometimes the "benefits" offered for compliance are attractive enough it happens, which also dries up the supply for us.

You can go out and get new made FMJ ammo in military calibers, it is still (ususally) slightly cheaper than sporting ammo. But its not "surplus" ammo.
Old April 3, 2014, 04:20 PM   #13
Jo6pak

Heck, 7.62x54R (along with 5.45x39mm) is pretty common around here. Even during the last ammo shortage, it was on the shelves in most of the shops I frequent.
Yes, the price is up a little, but it's not hard to find in these parts
Old April 3, 2014, 04:36 PM   #14
Armed_Chicagoan

I know for a fact that a large and well-known gun dealer around here buys their milsurp 7.62x54R ammo from the small storefront dealer (who has a large internet business) a few miles down the street and jacks up the prices. I think they bought his entire stock this time, because he has no more. I'm hoping he gets some more, still has it advertised at the same price ($175/case) on his web site but listed as "out of stock". I assume he's expecting more to come in eventually.
Old April 4, 2014, 03:46 PM   #15
nate_g_2003

I was able to get a crate of 880 from The Sportsman's Guide for a little over 200 shipped. I used a coupon code that gave me $10 off the order, and they mailed me a $20 gift card.

I started out buying the steel cased Monarch brand at Academy for 9.99/20, and also found some "generic" ammo at Gander Mtn for about the same price (turns out the plain white box stuff is Wolf Polyformance ammo).
Old April 5, 2014, 01:01 PM   #16
Gunplummer

Went through something like this before. I used to buy boxer primed 7.62x54 from Yugoslavia, and then it became unavailable. I contacted the importer and he said "They are too busy using it on each other to have any to export". It was during that little Go Round they had over there a few years back. Best to take up reloading.