The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 21, 2013, 02:13 PM   #1
loademwell

Shotgun slug with choke?

I have a friend that wants to use my Shotgun (Mossburg 500 ultra 3.5 inch) for deer hunting. I used it for trap and thats about it. What choke do I want to put in to help out the performance a bit for him. Does it matter what kind of slugs he uses with what choke? If I use a NO CHOKE will it hurt my threads?
Thanks for the input.
Old November 21, 2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Doyle

Using slugs with no choke is a definate NO-NO unless you never want to be able to use those threads again. As to choice of choke, normally more open chokes produce the best slug results but I've seen modified chokes in some guns shoot just as well as an I/C.

For choice of slugs - each gun is totally different. The only way to find out what that gun likes is to try several types. Don't waste your money on sabot slugs - those are made for rifled barrels. You need plain old rifled slugs. One good one to try thats seems to give consitently good results for lots of people is the Brenneke KO slugs (which can be used in either smooth bore or rifled barrels).
Old November 23, 2013, 08:36 AM   #3
guncrank

As Doyle said a more open choke
But do use a choke tube
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old November 25, 2013, 11:36 AM   #4
mattL46

You can also get a rifled choke. Never used one or really did much research on them so can't say much for their performance. I know they are supposed to improve smoothbore performance with a rifled slug? ( I believe) I'm sure someone who has experience can elaborate.
Old November 26, 2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Doyle

I've heard of people trying those rifled choke tubes but I've yet to see any proof that they actually improve groups. Better to spend the money finding what flavor of slug your barrel prefers.
Old November 26, 2013, 11:57 AM   #6
TimSr

I'm guessing that you have no interest in spending money in order to loan it out, and just want to know, of the chokes you have in your posession, which one is best. As others said, use full size rifled slugs, and the most open choke you have. Do not shoot with no choke screwed in.

1. Open (most 18" defender barrels are open)
2. Skeet
3. Improved
4. Modified
5. Full
Old November 26, 2013, 02:53 PM   #7
mattL46

+1 for Doyle's comment.