The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 17, 2013, 01:39 PM   #51
M1ke10191

One more thing is the actual cost of a press and everything required, minus components, is roughly the cost of a new gun. Maybe that can help justify the one time expense.
Old September 17, 2013, 01:59 PM   #52
Forrest68

Keep it down guys, My wife still thinks I'm "Saving" money by reloaden , like most have said, yes you save money reloaden but you will more than likely shoot more, cause the ammo is readily avaible now that you load as you want or need it. Then theres the satisfaction of loaden your own ammo, I'm mean come on who of us didnt girl like giddy school girls the first time at the range shooting your own loads. How awsome is it to find that load that works great in your pistol, ok I kinda like this a little too much, but ya get my point. The great thing is you can do as much or as little as you like or need to dependant on your time and space. Take it slow and easy and for goodness sake Enjoy yourself.
Old September 17, 2013, 02:14 PM   #53
cookie5

Savings?? Do the math. What you have to do is learn how to buy bulk especially when on sale because usually the local gun shop is just too expensive. Also the high quality reloading set up will last for almost a life time. I bought a Dillon 550 in 1991 and have reloaded about 4,000 to 6,000 rounds per year and it still works awesome. So if you spend $1000.00 in a 20 year span the setup will cost you under $5.00 per month .
Old September 17, 2013, 02:43 PM   #54
FrankenMauser

Quote:
What you have to do is learn how to buy bulk especially when on sale because usually the local gun shop is just too expensive.
If you like supporting your local shops, but their normal prices are too high for your liking... talk to them. Ask them about bulk discounts, or special-orders. Some places don't like to do it, or claim that they can't get the quantities you want (even when you aren't dealing with 'shortages'). But, some shops are more than willing to make a guaranteed $30 on your bulk order; rather than taking a chance that could make them $150, or just as easily result in a product that's sold for less than its cost, after sitting on the shelf for 6 years.

Check with your local shops. Around here, bullets, in particular, are well worth the trouble for most shops. They can get you a better deal than any online retailer, and will often bring your bulk buy in with their regular shipment (free shipping!).
Old September 17, 2013, 07:25 PM   #55
Lunicy

HAHA
You never save a penny.
I cast and swage my own. I even have a shot maker.
I buy in bulk

Handgun Ammo for me is around $3-4 per 100!!
Thats $1.50-$2.00 per box of handgun ammo

Rifle ammo is about $7-$9 per 100
Thats the same $1.50-$2.00 per box of rifle ammo (20)

Having said that, Reloading is a hobby in itself. You will spend money on it. Some folks spend on booze, golf, etc..
I spend on reloading gadgets.

You will be able to shoot alot more.
Old September 17, 2013, 09:03 PM   #56
Garycw

Actual savings of reloads -vs- factory rounds?

I would like to find one of the used lee anniversary kits with everything to load .45ACP and possibly .270 to start with. And a good book & instruction manual. Then eventually add the dies & equipment needed for other calibers

Ps.. Already found a lee press, hornaday case trimmer $125 and .357 die set $10.
... This could be a fun hobby!
Old September 18, 2013, 07:33 AM   #57
Gdawgs

I'm probably not adding anything here, but since you aren't in a hurry, keep an eye out for used equipment. I'm still using a Lyman T Mag turret press that was picked up at a rummage sale for $20. It has many thousands of rounds through it. I have picked up numerous set of used dies over the years too. You can start out simple. You don't have to start with the most expensive stuff out there.

As far as savings, it can add up quickly depending on caliber. I can reload my jacketed bullet 460 rounds for about 50 cents. I saw a box at the store the other week priced at $60 or 20 rounds. I can reload some lead bullet rounds for 15 to 20 cents, depending on the powder I use.
Old September 18, 2013, 08:53 AM   #58
hbhobby

I reloaded a box (20) of .300 H&H Mag for my dad. Cost about $10+/- and cabellas had box of ammo for $75 so with oddball stuff it doesnt take long to recoup cost
Old September 18, 2013, 02:27 PM   #59
kilimanjaro

According to my spreadsheet for 30 calibers, keeping track of total expenses for equipment, components, manuals, everything, I'll be reloading centerfire rifle cartridges at below retail in precisely 7.465 cases, at 1,000 rounds per case.

After that, it's all gravy!

Now, with 30 calibers, the cost goes up, what with need for stocking components that may be hard to find and expensive, and some expensive dies, such as 7.62 Nagant and .310 Cadet. If I was just doing a few standard calibers, my break-even point would be much lower, probably around 1,000 rounds. Also, I tend to buy new brass and work from there, if you get 'once-fired', you can save decent money.

Buy in bulk is good advice, you need to keep your unit cost down on everything, from primers to powder to brass and bullets.

You really save bucks on the special stuff, like .416 Rigby or .30-40 Krag,
8mm Mauser, .455 Webley, like that.