The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 25, 2012, 04:33 PM   #1
austinjunks

making the shift to the dark side

So I purchased my fist glock yesterday. I was browsing my lgs and saw a fde g 17 gen 4 it caught my eye from across the room. I have never been one for polymer guns, I've even bad mouthed the square grips and horrible ergos some have. But I picked it up and after 10 min took my 92fs inox off my hip and did a straight up trade. My buddy was with me and I'm still not done hearing about it. But I have yet to take her to the range. I will report back when I do.
Austin
Old October 25, 2012, 04:48 PM   #2
RamItOne

Let us know how you like it. Sounds like you traded in a metal brick for a plastic brick

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old October 25, 2012, 04:58 PM   #3
austinjunks

Come on the 92 is a very reliable platform
Old October 25, 2012, 06:16 PM   #4
TailGator

I personally like Glocks - I carry a G26 daily, myself - but I don't think I have ever talked to a person who got rid of a Beretta 92 and didn't regret it. Mine isn't going anywhere except to my heirs.
Old October 25, 2012, 06:17 PM   #5
insomni

not a glock man, but it sounds like a worthy trade.

Quote:
Come on the 92 is a very reliable platform
till you get it dirty, and then the slide's "Return to battery in slow motion" feature activates.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:00 PM   #6
austinjunks

I have run through handguns this year buying and selling and trading . I just want one that I like 100%. Hopefully glock can do that for me. As far as regrets about selling off guns I'm still kicking myself in the A for selling my t series hi power. The Beretta I can live without.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:31 PM   #7
MrJog

Glock 26 for carry and Glock 22 with a light attachment on the night stand.

I have revolvers, a 1911, rifles, and a 12 guage. They are fun and all. But for my personal and home defense I use my Glocks.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:51 PM   #8
NickW

G17 for a 92INOX, wow... to each their own. Good luck with the gen4.
Old October 25, 2012, 11:01 PM   #9
iraiam

I think you'll like the Glock, I have a 21 that I bought when I became disenchanted with the 1911 platform, recently upgraded to a Gen 4, I like it.

Quote:
but I don't think I have ever talked to a person who got rid of a Beretta 92 and didn't regret it
I would regret getting rid of my 92, in fact I don't feel right even thinking about not owning at least one. It's not that I think it is so much better than something else, It' just that I am so intimate with the platform that it would make no sense to get rid of it, I have been training and shooting the 92/M9 literally my entire adult life, for many years it was my only handgun.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 26, 2012, 07:04 AM   #10
COSteve

My CCW preference is my G23 while my HD is a G21. My woods carry choice is my custom G20L.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:39 AM   #11
Vireye

I was a glock-bashing Sig lover until this past January...I still love my Sig above all others, but I keep finding myself slipping my Glock 30 over the P228R into my holster when I go out...
Old October 26, 2012, 08:42 AM   #12
Stressfire

Quote:
after 10 min took my 92fs inox off my hip and did a straight up trade
I think I just died a little inside....

Hope you like it, but I went window-shopping a few months ago and handled a couple of poly frames. Just felt wrong somehow. Not for me, at least not yet - but maybe someday a poly design will fit me
Old October 26, 2012, 09:01 AM   #13
DaleA

Quote:
I think I just died a little inside....
Yup. Had I been there with young children in tow I would have covered their eyes and rushed them away from the scene.

(Later on I would have TRIED to explain the situation to them but words are just so inadequate at times.)
Old October 28, 2012, 01:38 AM   #14
Nanuk

Good move. You will like the Glock, they grow on you. I was one of the ones who did not care for them, I spent the day at the range with the Glock rep and the then new Gen 4's.

I sold my USP/c to buy Glocks, have 3 now.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 28, 2012, 04:20 AM   #15
warningshot

I think I'll take my 1997 stock 92f and a box of wally-world WWB to the next I don't pra...I mean, IDPA qualifier and see how poorly it's supposed to shoot these days and post the results here on TFL afterwards.
Old October 28, 2012, 07:41 AM   #16
austinjunks

Don't get me wrong I loved my Beretta but I am just trying something different. I trust my life to a 92 for years, I love that gun but I might love my new glock also.
Old October 28, 2012, 10:17 AM   #17
hardhat harry

Old October 28, 2012, 10:39 AM   #18
Yung.gunr

Oh my gosh. If I were your friend I woulda punched you square in the throat. You don't trade a 92FS, much less an Inox, for a Block!!!

Did you give him the opportunity to buy it from you? If I were with my friend doing that I woulda charged it and figured out some way to explain/make it up to the wife.

Don't get me wrong, I have and love my XD9. My brother has an XDm9 and my other brother has an FNP9, I love all those plastic guns. But, I would not trade a 92 for any of them, not even the hammer fired FNP.

Well.... Good luck I guess. Hope traders (or maybe traitors) remorse does not hit you too hard (though you deserve it).

I tease....
Sort of.
Old October 28, 2012, 08:48 PM   #19
austinjunks

Honestly Berettas are dime a dozen out here I can pick up an inox for ~500$ no problem.( not that glocks are hard to come by ) but I plan on finding another 92 soon. Would it make you all feel better to know I got what I paid for it in trade lol. I'm happy and no regrets ..... Yet.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:14 AM   #20
Stressfire

Quote:
I'm happy and no regrets .....
That's all that really matters

But as I've been looking for an Inox to pair with my matte 92, and at a decent price, for awhile now, I kinda have to give you a hard time.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:24 PM   #21
Yung.gunr

I'm with Stressfire. I would love to have an Inox to go with my normal 92fs.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:30 PM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
after 10 min took my 92fs inox off my hip and did a straight up trade.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I loved my Beretta but I am just trying something different. I trust my life to a 92 for years, I love that gun but I might love my new glock also.
I guess this philosophy works for those who only look at firearms as "tools" and thus only have one or two. Just doesn't work for me though. I have room in the safe for Beretta's, Glocks, S&W, Ruger, etc,etc,etc!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 29, 2012, 05:58 PM   #23
amd6547

I liked the 92FS I owned for a couple years a lot...until I straight traded it for an OD Glock 17, which I like a lot more...
I would never go back.
Old October 29, 2012, 06:34 PM   #24
Mr. James

I've got a 92FS (although not in Inox) and a Glock 23. The Glock is on my hip as I type and has become, to my utter chagrin, my primary carry piece. I say "chagrin" because I'm an old school kind of guy, partial to 1911s and revolvers.

Glad you're happy with the trade. I used to hate Glocks, but this Gen 3 is a keeper, for sure.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old October 30, 2012, 09:23 AM   #25
8t6gt

I'd quickly get rid of a 92/M9. I have a bad taste in my mouth for those things after carrying one in the Military. Nothing ever malfunctioned (which is a good thing) I just don't like the platform and it fits my hands weird....not my first choice. Although neither is a glock. But between the two I'd rather have an M9 since I'm more familiar with it.