The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Ever leave with your gun empty?
Yes 18 10.47%
No 148 86.05%
Maybe 4 2.33%
note saying 2 1.16%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 8, 2012, 10:22 AM   #26
Sharpsdressed Man

Hell, one time I was over at my buddies house in the mid-1970's, saw a bowl of plastic fruit as a dispay on a table, and got bored waiting for him to get ready to leave, and exchanged my gun for the banana in my holster. Did not realize that I was still packing a banana until about an hour and a half later, when it fell out of the holster as I was getting into the car again. Had a good laugh over that one!
Old September 8, 2012, 10:42 AM   #27
CajunBass

Quote:
I may have. I don't remember it, but I'm old, and not perfect.
Shoot, I just remembered, I did it a couple of weeks ago. Unloaded at the gun show, got the gun strapped, then walked around for several hours after I left the show with the gun not only unloaded, but with a pink strap around the cylinder.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 8, 2012, 01:06 PM   #28
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Not exactly but I was minutes away from my relay being called to the line at the All Army championships and I had no guns. I had a little tiff with an anti-gun ticket agent in Chicago who didn't want to check my gun box in trying to tell me it was illegal. Got a supervisor over who explained to the officious little jerk that he was wrong and to check my gun box so he did. But instead of sending it to my destination in Atlanta he sent it to Washington DC. Amazing what can happen when a general gets in on the action, the airline apologized profusely and sent the box back on the next flight and it arrived by taxi just as I had to go to the line. It was an interesting day. I cannot imagine what would happen to my gun box, guns and ammo today if that happened. I'd probably be the one arrested and hauled away by Homeland Insecurity.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 8, 2012, 01:10 PM   #29
qqq1

I've found on my LCR that you can close the cylinder almost all the way and it seems like it's good but it won't work obviously. Only carried it one time like that.
Old September 8, 2012, 09:04 PM   #30
Straightshooter629

The only time mine is unloaded is when it's being cleaned.
Old September 9, 2012, 11:23 AM   #31
waymore

nope
Old September 9, 2012, 10:07 PM   #32
pete2

No, they're always loaded.
Old September 10, 2012, 10:14 PM   #33
Drudge

No way. I'm always extra attentive when it comes to my firearms.
Old September 11, 2012, 09:07 PM   #34
Redhawk5.5+P+

OP

Quote:
No way. I'm always extra attentive when it comes to my firearms.
I'm not, I didn't feel like digging for an extra GDHP for my .38 J-frame, so I just put a FMJ in as a sub round.

Last edited by Redhawk5.5+P+; September 11, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old September 12, 2012, 12:08 PM   #35
TheNocturnus

Quote:
Hell, one time I was over at my buddies house in the mid-1970's, saw a bowl of plastic fruit as a dispay on a table, and got bored waiting for him to get ready to leave, and exchanged my gun for the banana in my holster. Did not realize that I was still packing a banana until about an hour and a half later, when it fell out of the holster as I was getting into the car again. Had a good laugh over that one!
You win this thread sir. That's some funny stuff.

OT: No, my gun is always loaded unless shot to empty or I am cleaning it.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old September 12, 2012, 04:29 PM   #36
45Gunner

The only times my carry gun is not loaded is when I am cleaning it or at the range and changing magazines. I take three magazines, alternating two and leaving a fully loaded mag with hollow point in case someone comes in and decides to go postal. I don't ever want to be in a position where I cannot defend myself.

In the morning, after my shower, I put on my glasses and then my clothes. My Instructors Belt goes into the pants loops loading first my cell phone then my dual magazine pouch followed by the holster on the strong side and then my carry gun gets inserted into the holster from its place on the night stand. Even though I know it is loaded, I always perform a chamber check to make sure there is a round in the chamber and the magazine properly seated.

Forgetting to load the gun is akin to taking a whiz and forgetting to unzip one's pants.
NRA Life Member
Old September 12, 2012, 07:39 PM   #37
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
Forgetting to load the gun is akin to taking a whiz and forgetting to unzip one's pants.
I forget to do that sometimes to, but I enjoy the breeze. I've shot up all my HPs at the range before, so I had to load FMJ's for the trip home, boy was I bighting my fingernails. NOT! Forget those super high prices at the range for there HPs, I felt perfectly fine with 130g American Eagle target ammo for my .38 for SD.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:59 PM   #38
jasmith85

I have never left without my gun loaded, but thats because if I take a gun with me its my p229 and its always loaded unless I'm cleaning it.
Old September 13, 2012, 10:34 AM   #39
SRH78

As a general rule, my centerfire handguns are always kept loaded. The only times they are unloaded is at the range or cleaning them. My ccw gets loaded as soon as I leave and the others get loaded before being put where they go at the house. If I pick up one of my handguns, I want it loaded and ready to fire.
Old September 13, 2012, 03:51 PM   #40
Tinner666

Most of the ones in the safe are always loaded too.
Old September 26, 2012, 10:03 PM   #41
Redhawk5.5+P+

OOoopppps, I did it again.
Old September 26, 2012, 10:23 PM   #42
Onward Allusion

Heh, I left the whole gun at home today. First time in probably a year. I felt completely nekid! At least I had one in my Get-Home-Bag.
Old September 27, 2012, 07:13 PM   #43
orionengnr

Oppps!
as opposed to:
OOoopppps!

Well, your spelling is improving. Your memory...maybe not so much.
Old September 27, 2012, 08:29 PM   #44
Winchester_73

I laughed out loud at the percentages. Over 130 people voted, as of my vote, over 85% voted NO. I didn't laugh to be a jerk, but I actually found it funny. I figured it would be a little closer than it actually was.

I unload my carry gun at home because my carry gun is not my bedside gun. Before leaving, I re-load my carry gun. If I were to carry my bedside gun, I would make damn sure to verify its ready to rock - condition 1. If I left my carry gun loaded, I would still verify its ready before going. I would hate to die because I forgot to make sure my potential life saver wasn't just a paper weight

I don't see the "yes" scenario ever happening to me. Kind of like intending on going on vacation, but forgetting your wallet at home? Isn't that one of the first things you verify? Just my thoughts on it...

Last edited by Winchester_73; September 28, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old September 27, 2012, 08:44 PM   #45
PT-92

Two Words...

Never, Ever!
Old September 27, 2012, 10:07 PM   #46
Super Sneaky Steve

It's pretty easy to tell if my 642 is unloaded. You can see the rims, you can hear the ammo clack up and down as I go up the stairs and the weight of the gun goes up by about 50% when boolits are in it.

I haven't walked out with an unloaded gun but I have forgot the whole gun at home before.
Old September 28, 2012, 02:34 AM   #47
biohazurd

Brass check anyone?
Old September 28, 2012, 12:03 PM   #48
Winchester_73

So how many people voted "note saying" and what does your note say about this?
Old September 28, 2012, 11:10 PM   #49
Redhawk5.5+P+

The way I found out was, there was ten .38spl rounds on my desk when I got home. The day before I emptied both my carry gun (638) and my desk gun (M37) for some reason.
Under my desk, I do have a back up gun so I was safe there with my Ruger Redhawk 44mag.
Old October 5, 2012, 02:03 PM   #50
satchel

The very first time I carried concealed I was so nervous that I forgot to put the gun in the holster. Since then I've forgot to load twice. Now I have a "mental checklist" that I run through each time before I carry; since I've been running through my checklist I've had no more mental failures of that variety.