The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2012, 08:39 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Who makes the finest SA currently

I will be in the market for a nice SA 3" light soon. I think I am going to trade in my BPS waterfowler as I just dont care for the heavy duty pump anymore and I just dont waterfowl hunt anymore. I will be shooting sporting clay, a little upland maybe use for deer on occasion. But I am leaning toward the prettier guns.
Looked at Browning Maxus and I think it would be hard to top. I also like the Beretta A400 light and it would probably save me a couple bucks. Should I also be looking at other selections? I just picked up a used Browning Gold Fusion for my son and after shooting it the BPS is like hauling a heavy hard hitting brick. Im jealous.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old July 26, 2012, 01:35 PM   #2
PJR

The Maxus and A400 are probably the finest gas-operated semi-automatics. Also in their league are the guns made by Benelli although they are recoil operated and have more felt recoil and aren't as accomodating with lighter loads.

I like A400 too and should the day come to retire my 391s the A400 is at the top of the list.
Old July 26, 2012, 01:44 PM   #3
BigJimP

It comes down to what fits you ....how much drop at comb and at heel do you need...or do you need a parallel comb ...

remember the lighter the gun ...the more recoil you'll get ...although a gas gun will absorb a lot of the recoil as the action cycles. Inertia guns will give you a little more recoil ..but shoot cleaner than gas guns in general.

Browning / Winchester ...have the silver line of guns as well as the Maxus / and whatever Win calls their version .../ there are also still some of the old Gold model Brownings around in 12ga - even though they only make them in a 10ga now / Beretta has the A 400 and the 391 line ...

If I were you, I'd look at them all ...there are different stock dimensions / different weights / some come with 5 chokes - some don't .../ different finishes / different barrel lengths....

In a semi-auto ....for general clay target shooting ...I like a lighter gun - but when I go to a lighter gun, I go to a 30" barrel ...to give me a longer sight plane. Too light...makes the gun whippy ...and I slap at targets vs a smooth follow thru ...the trick is finding that right mix for yourself.
Old July 26, 2012, 02:08 PM   #4
jmortimer

Maxus - the new A5 looks nice as well.
Old July 26, 2012, 02:10 PM   #5
BoogieMan

Thanks for the info guys. I should have specified gas operated. Should I be looking at other brands like CZ? I love Remington's but the 1100 and 1187 are just to heavy and finish lacking for me this time around.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old July 26, 2012, 06:50 PM   #6
BigJimP

I don't think the quality or fit and finish is anywhere near where Browning-Winchester ...or Beretta .....are these days.

but that is up to you ....

Picking a gun is about fit .....so it hits where you look ...not who made it. But in gas guns ...Beretta has owned that market for at least the last 15 yrs...with Browning-Winchester making some small inroads in the last 3 or 4 yrs....