The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old May 24, 2011, 12:08 PM   #1
spearman

Buying guns online

What is specifically involved with buying guns on line?I live in Tennessee.Do I still pay state tax?Do they run my info and send me the gun,or does it get shipped to a local dealer?Are there additional fees?Let me know how this works.Thanks.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:33 PM   #2
mwells72774

most places, you can have the firearm you're wanting shipped to a licensed FFL, and they'll normally charge a fee. that's when they'll run your info through NCIC (background check). if you pass and pay, you're out the door with your new toy. Shop around for the cheapest FFL fees and make sure they don't make you pay sales tax on something you've already bought and paid for. There's a big issue with that here in AR and its gone all the way to the Govenor
Old May 24, 2011, 03:52 PM   #3
glock20c

only walk with it if,you have a cwp...if you don't 3 days before you take it home...i believe this is correct?
Old May 24, 2011, 04:43 PM   #4
laytonj1

Having done this many times,

You send the seller a copy of your receiving dealers FFL by fax, email or snail mail along with payment. He ships the gun to your dealer. You fill out the 4473 and any other forms your state may require as well as the NICS check and pay your dealer his transfer fee (usually around $25). Should not be any sales tax as it's an out of state purchase, but, some states are starting to charge it anyway.

Waiting periods depend on individual state laws.

Jim
Old May 27, 2011, 06:50 PM   #5
drcook

As the folks above say, the seller HAS to have a copy of the recieving FFL holder's FFL in hand before they can ship the gun. Some want the copy to indicate that it is for you. When I asked CDNN about it, that is what they stipulated.

Gunbroker has a tool to help find an FFL holder that will do the recieve. Not all will, even though it is free money. A local dealer wouldn't as he wanted to sell you the gun, he is now out of business

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx