The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 30, 2008, 07:27 PM   #1
bclark1

1911 Build - Parts kit, specific parts?

Hey all,

Just got a decent deal on a 10mm conversion for a 1911. Instead of just using it on my current 1911, I was going to try and do a build with a used frame. I know 1911's well enough to clean them, and that's about it. I was probably just going to buy the parts individually from Brownells, but I wanted to know if there were kits that would save you the money from having bought them in bulk? Are there some parts that I might want to go higher-end on than others?

Thanks for the input.
Old January 30, 2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Hawg

You can get Rock Island parts and kits from Sarco. http://www.sarcoinc.com/cgm.html I figured it up awhile back at 265.00 to build a complete 1911 Government with their frame and slide kits.
Old January 30, 2008, 07:59 PM   #3
bclark1

Awesome, thank you much - the kit for everything-but-the-slide-stop is exactly what I need, much cheaper than it would've been part-by-part.
Old January 30, 2008, 10:03 PM   #4
pinotguy

Just to clarify - you're planning on building a 1911 in 10mm, correct?

If so, be aware that you'll need quite a few caliber-specific small parts as a lot of parts designed with the .45 ACP cartridge in mind will not interchange with the 10mm. Outside of the barrel and magazines, you'll need an ejector, extractor, and slide stop built for the .40 S&W/10mm. A smaller firing pin may be good too, as it will reduce primer flow. You'll also need a slide whose ejection port is sized for the .40 S&W/10mm and you'll probably need to modify the feed ramp on the frame so that it will be compatible with the smaller bullet geometry. Caliber conversions on 1911's can be done but a lot of times it's not worth the added hassle.

Caspian has a nice parts kit available that has every small part needed for a 1911.
Old January 30, 2008, 10:43 PM   #5
bclark1

Thanks for the input. The build was inspired by a conversion kit I found a too-good-to-pass deal on, so I've got the whole upper-half essentially completed. I just need to build a "lower half" to fit it to, as I'd prefer to keep my .45 a dedicated .45 rather than switching slide assemblies in and out. My understanding right now is that the frame, and everything that goes "in" it when the pistol is field stripped, is totally interchangeable with the 10mm kit I have now.
Old January 31, 2008, 09:19 AM   #6
Hunter Customs

You received some very good info from pinotguy, buy the 40/10mm parts he suggested.
The topend you now have is the barrel a full ramped or standard barrel?
Also check the radial lugs in the slide and on top of the barrel to make sure the gun did not have a breeching issue.
I also check the radial lugs in all slides that I plan to use to see if they are in spec. If they are to far out of spec they will cause timing issues.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 31, 2008, 01:03 PM   #7
pinotguy

Quote:
My understanding right now is that the frame, and everything that goes "in" it when the pistol is field stripped, is totally interchangeable with the 10mm kit I have now.
For the most part, this is correct. The sear, disconnector, mainspring housing assembly, hammer, hammer strut, and sear spring should all be fine. The only .40 S&W/10mm part that you'd need as far as the frame is concerned would be the slide stop. If you use a .45 ACP slide stop on a 10mm pistol, chances are the follower on the magazine will "skip" over the arm of the slide stop and the slide won't lock back. Greider Precision makes a 10mm slide stop which is a fantastic part.
Old January 31, 2008, 02:24 PM   #8
RickB

The frame itself is different. The 10mm feed ramp is shallower, and more like a Super than a .45. I doubt you could put a complete 10mm top end on a .45 frame, even if the latter had a 10mm ejector on it, and have a functioning 10mm pistol.
Old February 8, 2008, 06:43 PM   #9
apr1775

Quote:
The frame itself is different. The 10mm feed ramp is shallower, and more like a Super than a .45. I doubt you could put a complete 10mm top end on a .45 frame, even if the latter had a 10mm ejector on it, and have a functioning 10mm pistol.
There are a few small differences, but you may get lucky. The first "custom" I ever put together, was almost exactly like the plan being discused here. Auto-Ordnance 10mm conversion kit upper and a Safari Arms frame (the cool looking one made by Olympic arms with the finger groves and scorpion grips). I didn't know about some of the small differences; I just put it together and it worked.
Old February 10, 2008, 02:14 AM   #10
MrApathy

would advise against the sarco stuff go out and buy some quality parts its not that difficult to find.

|1911 Parts|
Barrel
Barrel Bushing
Barrel Link
Ejector
Disconnector
Extractor
Firing Pin
Firing Pin Stop
Grip Bushings
Grip Screws
Grips
Guide Rod
Plunger Tube
Guide Rod Plug
Hammer Strut
Magazine Catch/Release
Mainspring Housing
Grip Safety
Sear
Hammer
Slide Stop
Thumb Safety
Trigger
Sights Front+Rear
[Springs]
Firing Pin Spring
Magazine Catch Spring
Plunger Spring
Recoil Spring
Sear Spring
Mainspring
[Pins]
Hammer Link Pin
Hammer Pin
Barrel Link Pin
Ejector Pin
-
Magazine Catch Spring
Mainspring Housing Pin
Sear Pin
Mainspring Plunger Detent
Mainspring Cap
Magazine Catch Lock
Frame
Slide

two kits that I know of Sarco and DPMS that have most parts need for build minus Receiver.

otherwise various companies offer variety of parts packs like
spring kit,pin kit.

it takes smithing skills Sarco kits have been known for having pure junk mixed in.
it may not drop in in fact go to any 1911 forum and see what they say about drop in parts.

will need tools for build as well.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old February 17, 2008, 10:59 PM   #11
NAVET

http://how-i-did-it.org/1911-project...le_pieces.html

Read this before you attempt a build it yourself.
Old February 18, 2008, 05:45 AM   #12
webbee

Another vote for the Caspian kit. I haven't done what you are contemplating, but I had a Caspian framed 1911-A style and the frame is really a quality piece.

I hope you post, with pictures, if you actually build one. I would be interested in doing the same, as I like both the 10mm and the 1911 style pistol.
Old February 19, 2008, 10:56 AM   #13
NAVET

I wasn't trying to scare you away from a 1911 build by posting my previous link. I was gung ho ready to jump in feet first until I found that link. I am still gung ho in wanting to try it. However, it did let me know to just buy quality first and if you gotta save up $$ to do it, so be it. It also re-enforced the idea that when you think you are ready, do more research and ask the stupid questions.
Old February 20, 2008, 04:17 PM   #14
velocette

I built a Caspian framed .45 about 15 years ago. It still shoots little tiny groups and does so reliably.
The only outside work I had done was when I sent the frame & slide to Irv Stone at Bar-Sto for one of his most excellent barrels to be fitted.
A great sense of accomplishment when you take your newly created work of art to the range and it does just what you wanted it to. +1 to Caspian for their quality and precision.

Roger
Old March 19, 2008, 02:10 AM   #15
bclark1

Thanks for the continued input - this has been on hold, because I live out of state (IL resident in OH) and I haven't been back "home" long enough to clear the handgun waiting period to pick up a frame. What I have now from the Auto-Ord kit: 10mm slide and bushing, , 10mm barrel (conventional non-ramped), recoil spring and guide rod, and ejector. "Supposed" to work on a standard 1911 .45 frame, although I'll heed the advice given about looking for caliber-specific parts. I might opt for a full-length guide rod but don't have a great desire to mess with much from the kit beyond maybe refinishing it and possibly replacing the sights. Lower build would be from scratch. Never tried this before, but I think it will be fun. One point of concern is how much the fit between the slide and frame matters, as I think fitting the two would likely be beyond my small-toolkit capabilities. In any case, I very much plan for this to happen and will post up any results, just might not happen for a few weeks.