The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 15, 2005, 09:56 AM   #1
Hello123

Bedding 700 CDL synthetic stock

I have a 270 Win that is in synthetic furniture. I want to tweak it. Just finished sending it off for a trigger job. The gunsmith will only reduce the pull to 3.5 lbs, that should be sufficient? My question is can a synthetic stock be easily glass bedded? How much would this improve my accuracy? The gun is shooting about 1 3/4 inch groups now? I know my technique is ok, as the 220 swift is shooting .5 MOA groups
Old June 15, 2005, 11:02 AM   #2
Lycanthrope

Float the barrel first and try lots of differing ammo. If you don't have success, you can bed it again later.
Old June 15, 2005, 12:26 PM   #3
Hello123

thanks for the reply, how do you float the barrel? Does it simply involve shaving the contact points of metal to plastic?
Old June 15, 2005, 01:00 PM   #4
DAVID NANCARROW

Just in case you are experiencing the same thing I ran into-bought a friend's M700 in 270 Win. Replaced the wood stock with a Bell and Carlson-no other mods made to it.

It would shoot Hornady 140 grain custom factory loads really well, but it refused shoot 130 grain loads from any of the major manufacturers.

I decided that I would handload some rounds to see if I could make a difference, and found the problem. The rifling leade was a ways out there! It worked out very well for me in this particular rifle. Best overall cartridge length turned out to be the max length which would fit in the magazine, and the groups went from a couple of inches to an average of a bit less than 3/4 inch.

Something to think about before you start cutting on the stock.
Old June 15, 2005, 01:29 PM   #5
Lycanthrope

Quote:
how do you float the barrel? Does it simply involve shaving the contact points of metal to plastic?
Yes, just a small amount of clearance everywhere forward of the recoil lug.
Old June 15, 2005, 09:50 PM   #6
Hello123

Just bought a set of 270 dies, we will see what happens. Thanks
Old June 16, 2005, 06:11 AM   #7
Harry Bonar

bedding & groups

Dear Shooter:
I would do two things, if it were mine; First, I would bed the recoil shoulder with Brownells "steel bed." Then, I'd float that barrel from the reciever ring clear out (use a thick business card or cardboard to check).
I'd check that muzzle crown for unifarmity.
Then, I'd, as has been suggested, try different ammo - but - I'm of the firm opinion that handloading is the ONLY way to really get good accuracy.
Just my opinion - hope it helps.
Harry B.