The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 16, 2017, 01:22 PM   #1
gtrask

Archaeologist in Need of ID for Bullets/Slugs (3 of 3)

[This is the third of a series of three posts with several bullets I am trying to ID.]

I am an archaeologist working at a WWI training camp located in the California Bay Area. This camp was used during WWI and saw limited use during WWII and by sport/civilian shooters. So, most of these bullets should be U.S.-made rounds, either military or commercial, dating as early as the late 1800s to the present day.

I would like to know the caliber and approximate date range for each bullet. I realize that ID-ing/dating fragments of bullets is very difficult, but I'm just trying to get as close as possible to an estimated caliber and date. Let me know if you need additional specs or pics.

Photos of each bullet are at the end of this thread listed in sequential order (left to right, top to bottom). Go here for additional photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kk?usp=sharing

7. Bullet jacket fragment: non-magnetic (probably cupro-nickel or gilding metal), recessed and enclosed base, one knurled cannelure located .224" from base
-Diameter = .25-.26" (~6.45mm)
-Guess: .25 ACP?

8. Bullet fragment: non-magnetic (curpo-nickel/gilding metal) jacket, lead core, flat enclosed base, one knurled cannelure located .285" from base; bullet appears to taper slightly down to base, but this may be due to expansion from impact
-Diameter = .419-.427 (~10.75mm) around base; .438" (~11mm) just below cannelure groove
-Guess: 11mm machine gun round?, .44-40 round?, .44 revolver?, .45 revolver?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0602small.jpg (77.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0605small.jpg (62.1 KB, 48 views)
Old February 16, 2017, 03:46 PM   #2
Jim Watson

No 7 Agree, .25 ACP
No 8 Looks like a .44-40 JSP.