The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 6, 2018, 10:51 PM   #1
kymasabe

Sight recommendation...Daniel Defense or Magpul ?

-So, here's the deal. I just bought a new upper that has a 13.5 inch free float rail on it, and it came with two new Magpul Gen2 MBUS folding sights, still in the package. I also have a Daniel Defense fixed rear sight I'm taking off one of my other AR's. So, the big burning question is...should I mount the Magpuls and be happy? OR should I buy a Daniel Defense fixed front sight and mount the 2 DD's on the upper (and possibly be happier)?

PS, I like my AR's simple and light, I have no plans to mount optics. Yes, I know Troy, Larue, Sampson and others all make great sights...but I'm trying to stay within a narrow budget.
Old June 6, 2018, 10:59 PM   #2
kymasabe

...just thought of option #3. Sell the DD rear sight AND the brand new Magpuls and buy a complete set of something else. But, there'd have to be convincing evidence it's better than what I already have (lighter? stronger? clearer? easier to use?).
Old June 6, 2018, 11:06 PM   #3
Charlie98

I really like the DD fixed AR 1.5 sight... assuming that's what you have, I think it's fantastic. I'd just find a compatible FS and roll with it. I'm sure you can find a quick buyer for the NIB Magpuls, or just throw them in the parts box.

I don't care for plastic flippers, even the Magpuls. They don't seem very robust. I have Troys on my lightweight carbine, they are great.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old June 6, 2018, 11:18 PM   #4
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_98 View Post
I really like the DD fixed AR 1.5 sight... assuming that's what you have, I think it's fantastic. I'd just find a compatible FS and roll with it. I'm sure you can find a quick buyer for the NIB Magpuls, or just throw them in the parts box.

I don't care for plastic flippers, even the Magpuls. They don't seem very robust. I have Troys on my lightweight carbine, they are great.
Yes, I have the DD fixed 1.5 rear sight, and can easily find a matching DD front for it.

And, I just took the DD off my light weight carbine and replaced it with a Troy Di-Optic.
I could probably dump the pair of Magpuls for $60 on eBay.
Old June 7, 2018, 12:41 AM   #5
marine6680

If you are not going to use any optics...

A fixed signt might work best.

The thing is... A fixed aluminum sight can be more fragile than the folding MBUS...

The MBUS are polymer and that can help absorb energy if you drop the rifle, and they can fold, which means they can absorb some energy by collapsing.

It a good strong set of fixed sights can withstand a lot of abuse. But they tend to be a bit more expensive compared to DD and others who make aluminum fixed sights.

If you want folding sights, I am fond of the MBUS Pro sights.
Old June 7, 2018, 08:09 AM   #6
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680 View Post

The MBUS are polymer and that can help absorb energy if you drop the rifle, and they can fold, which means they can absorb some energy by collapsing.
If you want folding sights, I am fond of the MBUS Pro sights.
You do have a point there , i remember reading a drop test results and some fixed sights were damaged in the test while the folding polymer mbus had least damage or loss of accuracy. They're just so common, and so cheap feeling, and so darn ugly, they don't thrill me.
Old June 7, 2018, 09:09 AM   #7
Charlie98

Good folders cost good money. I spent some coin on my Troys and I'm glad I did. Having said that, I think the DD 1.5 is a pretty robust sight and I would put it up against my Troys for durability.

Because I'm a reliability retard, that's why I suggested keeping the Magpuls in your range bag or something... if for some reason the 1.5 fails, you just throw the other set up and keep on going. I have a cheapie red dot in my bag for the same reason.

Old June 7, 2018, 10:48 AM   #8
rpseraph

They are all reliable and quality sights, I'd try various mix/match combos and see which I shot with best. Honestly, I'd probabl ypul on the magpuls because I like things to match
Old June 7, 2018, 11:00 PM   #9
kymasabe

Thank you all for your suggestions. I decided to buy the Daniel Defense fixed front sight so it matches the DD fixed rear I already own and I think I'll take Charlie_98's advice and just keep the Magpul MBUS set as a spare just in case.
Also, decided to order a Blitzkrieg Components luminescent green front sight post, so I'll report how well that works once I get it all installed and zero'd.
Old June 8, 2018, 01:26 PM   #10
riffraff

Shot with some folding sig sights the other day that were certainly robust enough.. if you dont already have 2 spare sets of the magpulls i wouldnt over complicate this, good to have a spare set anyway. Buy the cheepies and see if they do you well, if not then spend and have a spare.
Old June 9, 2018, 08:43 AM   #11
Charlie98

Quote:
Also, decided to order a Blitzkrieg Components luminescent green front sight post, so I'll report how well that works once I get it all installed and zero'd.
I used to think that luminescent front sight stuff was pap... until I bought a Marlin 1894 with one already installed. I'm not going to say I'm not offended every time I look at that classic levergun with that blight of a neon red FSP, but then I load it up and hit what I'm aiming at, and it's OK.

Let us know how it works out!

Old June 10, 2018, 01:00 AM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
The thing is... A fixed aluminum sight can be more fragile than the folding MBUS...

The MBUS are polymer and that can help absorb energy if you drop the rifle, and they can fold, which means they can absorb some energy by collapsing
They can fold and absorb the blow, or they might end up with a broken spring, leading to a floppy piece of useless plastic.
Old June 12, 2018, 10:58 AM   #13
kymasabe

I just took my Daniel Defense sight off another rifle so I can use on the one I'm building, replaced the DD with a Troy fixed di-optic. IMHO, I like the DD better. Just sayin'.
Old June 12, 2018, 11:17 AM   #14
raimius

For primary sights, I'd go with fixed.

MBUS are good, but it says it in the name "backup."
Old June 12, 2018, 11:54 AM   #15
kymasabe

Oh, forgot to mention, i also installed a Blitzkrieg Components green luminescent front sight post...this thing is WAY easier to see than standard black post.
Old June 12, 2018, 01:48 PM   #16
Charlie98

Quote:
replaced the DD with a Troy fixed di-optic. IMHO, I like the DD better.
I guess I'm not very tacticool... I don't care for the di-ops, either.

Quote:
i also installed a Blitzkrieg Components green luminescent front sight post...this thing is WAY easier to see than standard black post.
Maybe I'll have to give one a test spin...

Old July 2, 2018, 09:46 PM   #17
HWS

I recommend a rear KAC 200-600 flip up sight even if all you have are irons. That sight is easily adjustable, used by the USMC, and very light. The pedestal design lets you see everything without dials or ears getting in the way. For front, why not look into a Yankee Hill front sight mounted on the barrel? You put it near your flash hider or break and extend the focal length making for more accuracy. It also flips up and down so if you ever get a red dot or scope, no problems.