The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 24, 2018, 09:31 PM   #51
5whiskey

Keybear I may not would sell it. I absolutely would check out the entire thing at this point. I would slug the barrel and measure the slug with a caliper (should be .429 +- .001 or so), while also making sure there were no "skips" while driving the slug through. I would do the revolver checkout in the revolver forum (10 year anniversary one). I would also slug each chamber in the cylinder and check it with a caliper. The chambers should also be fairly smooth. If everything checked out ok, and the fit/finish/action smoothness/trigger is on, maybe keep it if you like it. I know it would be hard to have confidence, and if you can't get past it I would understand. None-the-less, the guy did a fast turn-around on sending it back with repairs. I also sort of understand him not wanting to talk to you because he knows he messed up. It's not an excuse, he should still answer you and face you as talking to you and apologizing may help you feel confident in the revolver, but I can understand that he might be embarrassed.

At the end of the day though, there is no way this thing should have shipped with brass still stuck in the cylinders. I mean everyone makes mistakes, but just the fact that you had to hammer stuck cases out of the cylinder before you even shot it shocks me. I'm willing to give folks the benefit of the doubt, one time, especially when they repair and return as quick as he did for you. But still... shipping a firearm with empty cases stuck in the cylinder is not a "simple mistake" IMO. I don't know, I would understand if you sold it but I'm afraid you'll take a fleecing on it if you're honest and fully disclose.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old May 25, 2018, 10:15 AM   #52
KEYBEAR

It came back the second time with six fired cases in the chambers . If I do sell it I will use gunsinternational and post the same as my post here . ( my use my first post )
Yes if I sell it I will never get the money back I may offer it in Custom guns and best offer .
Old May 25, 2018, 10:16 AM   #53
Pathfinder45

It seems odd that you could be so disenchanted by a gun that you at one time thought would be so fine. But it happened to me once, so I know the feeling. Thankfully, mine turned out to be a better fit for someone else and I didn't lose any money on the deal. Hopefully you can recover your costs as well. Amazing how something can lose its charm so fast!
Old May 25, 2018, 12:22 PM   #54
KEYBEAR

Pathfinder45 I took a chance on this Revolver when I bought it . If you look on the guns for sale on Reeders Web site the picture is still up (as of today) . It is a very poor picture very dark with zero detail but a very nice list of work done . The Revolver is nice and it shoots very well but I may never get over this gunsmiths BS .

The 44 Mag is the caliber i have shot for over 50 years and I have a lot of them .
I shoot every day if it is not raining (to hard) or I am not sick . I shot some out of a very nice Ruger Tomahawk this morning and a Ruger 4 5/8 old model Super Blackhawk .
Old May 25, 2018, 04:37 PM   #55
Paul B.

Keybear. I looked that gun up. Very nice. Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with it. I've met Gary a few times and he is a tad eccentric at times and I've seen him at gun shows when he had one of his grouches on. I'm thinking if that gun works good now, then I'd just as soon hang onto it. Your choice though.

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag. with 4 5/8" barrel that either came from the factory or someone changed to a standard Blackhawk grip frame. They must have had some very small hands and it's not much fun with full power loads. I've thought about having Gary put the Bisley style frame on the gun But would probably be easy enough I could do it myself. It already has a Bisley hammer so just changing the frame and new stocks should do the trick. It's nice gun when hiking on Mt. Lemmon. People sometimes see bears and a few Mountain lions have been spotted as well. I haven't seen one myself but that .44 with Keith's bullet and load are comforting to have on my hip. I did see one bear on a desert hike but he was way off about a half mile or so. Just watched him with the binocs.
Paul B.
Old May 25, 2018, 06:23 PM   #56
KEYBEAR

Paul B. Just a guess but your Ruger in 44 Mag with 4 5/8 barrel they all come that way in that model . ( have one ) You are correct you need small hands .

Your gun has a round trigger guard and you can put a large frame trigger guard on it but it is oversize just a little and will need fitting
The gun I bought from Reeder is a Blackhawk Frame made in 1979 as a 357 Mag . It is now a 44 Mag with custom Grip frame and Barrel .

Last edited by KEYBEAR; May 25, 2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old June 11, 2018, 08:00 PM   #57
KEYBEAR

Just an update . I have had and shot the Reeder Ruger 44 Mag a bit and it does shoot well . I have had no problems at all with it but still can not really like it . The first time I spoke to Reeder with the cylinder problem I also told him about the screws not tight . When I got the gun back he had glued the screws in I hope I never need to remove one . Kind of sad/funny but he even glued the screw on the grips .
I have the Ruger for sale on two sites and looking at trades if I find something .
It is sad because this gun could be one nice picking gun .
This guy (Reeder) is a total a$$
Old June 11, 2018, 09:18 PM   #58
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The first time I spoke to Reeder with the cylinder problem I also told him about the screws not tight . When I got the gun back he had glued the screws in I hope I never need to remove one . Kind of sad/funny but he even glued the screw on the grips.
Wow, that's impressive pettiness on his part. I've seen too many complaints about Reeder to ever consider doing business with him, but that level of "I'll show you!" would be enough to make the decision for me if I were still waffling.

This won't help with the grip screw because you can't get it too hot; but for the other screws, you might be able to loosen them by holding a soldering iron on the screw to soften the glue/threadlocker.
Old June 13, 2018, 07:45 AM   #59
redlightrich

Before you sell

Hello Keybear, I really feel for you.
I had a situation once, where the person at the LGS was such a jerk, I thought he may be mentally ill.
This was all caused by me asking to hold the gun before he fills out my permit.
It wasn't an easily obtained model, so I thought long before leaving.

The following conversation became so surreal that when I came home with the gun, I didn't want to touch it. It sat in the safe for 6 months un-used. I eventually got over it, and chalked it up to another jerk in the world. I think being I was there as soon as the door opened, his meds didn't have time to kick in. He did apologize profusely before I left ( I think his meds stated taking effect) , but you can't un-ring a bell. I never went back to that store ( they closed a while later).

Now, that gun is one of my favorites, after letting the "trauma" of the event fade away. Now, I kind of chuckle when thinking of it.

I tell you this short story because maybe this gun will grow on you after the bad experience fades away? Loctite on screws and all. I could always get them out. EVEN if he used red.

Anyway, sorry for your hard time.

Rich
Old June 13, 2018, 08:29 PM   #60
KEYBEAR

I really thank you people I have spent a life time trying to do right with people . I am looking at 71 years of age my life is getting short . I am ok with that my wife and I are going on 50 years this fall . I am still a man just not as much as I once was . I do people as I would like done to me I owe no one and will help anyone . My friends have mostly been older and are gone now I miss them a lot . In the end it is the people that you have lived your life with that count . I thank you for the support I have had dealings with a lot of people the most were good people .

Last edited by KEYBEAR; June 16, 2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old June 16, 2018, 12:26 PM   #61
KEYBEAR

Just to let you know I have listed the Reeder Revolver on this site .
The price is a lot lower then what I have in this gun I just would like it gone .
The Ruger is 100% now and super packing gun but not for me .