The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 10, 2019, 07:48 PM   #51
NavyVet1959

UPDATE 4/10/2019 18:24 -- Received the order today, but the tracking number that Sportsman's Warehouse (SW) sent me is still "Label Created; Order Processed: Ready for UPS". UPS's site says that there are two packages in the shipment and the 2nd package actually moved through the UPS system between Salt Lake City and here and the other package just seems to have never moved / been picked up by UPS. I've tried twice sending SW an email, through their online "contact us" page, but they never responded. The package took 5 days longer than the initial quoted time.

In the end, I received 2 packages (apparently one for the primers and one for the powder), but when I look on the UPS website, it only shows one package as having been delivered and the other one waiting for initial pickup by UPS in Salt Lake City. Not exactly the best tracking experience that I've had with a company over the years. It also took 5 days longer than the original estimate. It's not that I mind it taking longer, I just prefer that when they say it will be there by a particular date, it actually *is* there by that date. And the length of time that it takes SW to respond to an email is completely unacceptable. Of course, I'm assume that *eventually* they might get around to responding to my emails. So, good price on the powder, but crappy customer service so far.

On a side note, I think this is the first time that I ever received a package with a HAZMAT sticker on it that actually said "EXPLOSIVES" on it. UPS guy was walking up my driveway and he said, "Expecting a package?". To which I replied, "Yeah, got my explosives?" And his response was a smile and said, "Here you go..." Texas... Gotta love it... A place where UPS delivers explosives and thinks nothing about it...

And to top it off, I was drinking a beer, so when he asked me to sign for it, I said, "No problem, hold my beer." Explosives delivery and the recipient say, "hold my beer"... Classic...
When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...
https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959
Old April 12, 2019, 10:09 AM   #52
arcticap

There's not many videos of loading and firing the Pietta Pepperbox.
But there's a video by Hovey Smith where one of the first things he says is that you're going to need to ground down a screwdriver to fit the cylinder retaining screw.
He loads and fires one cylinder with a variety of loads including a patched round ball, 2 patched round balls, 3 patched rounds, a conical which keyholes and 2 chambers with magnatite [iron] shot.
After shooting his very first cylinder full is over, he says that he wouldn't want to be facing that gun loaded with 3 balls in each chamber!
That made me chuckle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbXVk2ehK24

Last edited by arcticap; April 13, 2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old April 12, 2019, 02:45 PM   #53
noelf2

Quote:
He loads and fires one cylinder with a variety of loads including a patched round ball, 2 patched round balls, 3 patched rounds, a conical which keyholes and 2 chambers with magnatite [iron] shot.
He has another video where he goes after carpenter bees with that magnetite load. Doesn't work so well. I think I'm doing a better job on those carpenter bees with a tennis racket.
Old April 12, 2019, 05:35 PM   #54
AKexpat

I watched a little over 4 minutes of the Hovey Smith vid. He states that it is on an Army frame 3 times in that span. The cylinder is not rebated, nor is the water table cut for a .44cylinder. I just shut it off.
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old April 12, 2019, 07:20 PM   #55
noelf2

Quote:
I watched a little over 4 minutes of the Hovey Smith vid. He states that it is on an Army frame 3 times in that span. The cylinder is not rebated, nor is the water table cut for a .44cylinder. I just shut it off.
Maybe he has a problem with the Navy...?? lol ... He's an odd duck, but he does have some useful reviews.
Old April 16, 2019, 12:26 AM   #56
NavyVet1959

Found someone locally that has a few Uberti BP handguns for sale -- Walker, Patterson, and 2nd Model Dragoon... The Walker has supposedly never been shot and is $300. We're going to meet later this week for the sale. The Paterson models are $750 and I was surprised at that. I would have thought them to be closer to the price of the other BP revolvers.
When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...
https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959
Old May 28, 2019, 11:33 AM   #57
blankcanvas

Since loading pepperbox cylinders seems to be such a pain, would it be a good solution to use slightly smaller diameter conicals? I have the Pietta pepperbox and a like-caliber old Classic Arms pepperbox kit I'm tinkering with and was planning to do that rather than try to ram balls down the barrels. I realize this is even less kinetic energy than the things already have, but would it work?
Old May 28, 2019, 02:18 PM   #58
AKexpat

If the smaller diameter conicals are not "swaged" into the cylinder during the loading process, the bullets will move away from the compressed BP charge after the first shot, leaving the powder charge uncompressed in those chambers.

Personally, I would use an off-the-gun cylinder loading press like the Tower Of Power or similar.

I have several Pietta Navy .36 type revolvers, but the Pietta pepperbox is an answer to a question that should have not been asked in the first place. One needs a carefully fitted screwdriver bit just to remove the cylinder from the arbor.

Just my $.02 worth.

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old May 28, 2019, 04:40 PM   #59
blankcanvas

Many thanks for a lightning fast response; more importantly for such a wise response. You've just saved me from myself.
Old May 28, 2019, 04:51 PM   #60
arcticap

I think that a pepperbox would be a candidate for loading with patched round balls.
More often than not folks do not load bare balls into smooth bore pistols.
There is no cylinder gap to be concerned about causing a loss of velocity.
I fail to see enough of a difference between a pepperbox cylinder and a single shot pistol to warrant loading bare balls unless that's the shooter's preference.
Generally speaking, a patched round ball can provide as tight of a fit as a bare rammed ball.
Swagging a ball may only be practiced because that's how a C&B is traditionally loaded.
But it's not a traditional C&B.
Also there isn't any rifling to help stabilize a conical, although I realize that it's only intended for short range.
I would at least experiment with patched round balls and try to load them tight enough to stay in place during firing.
That would also help negate the need to use a loading press.
Perhaps a loading stand would be sufficient.
I'll admit that due to not owning one this is only speculation.
Track of the Wolf sells .358 and .360 round balls which should work with a ± .015 patch.
There's shouldn't be a need to remove the cylinder for loading using a push dowel of some sort if enough care is used.

Last edited by arcticap; May 28, 2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old May 28, 2019, 08:06 PM   #61
AKexpat

I have a difference of opinion.

Quote:
Generally speaking, a patched round ball can provide as tight of a fit as a bare rammed ball.
Swaging a ball may only be practiced because that's how a C&B is traditionally loaded.
But it's not a traditional C&B.
That still does not address why a undersized conical with a patch would be any better than a patched round ball.

Quote:
Also there isn't any rifling to help stabilize a conical, although I realize that it's only intended for short range.
So why use a conical?

Quote:
I would at least experiment with patched round balls and try to load them tight enough to stay in place during firing.
That would also help negate the need to use a loading press.
Perhaps a loading stand would be sufficient.
A loading press is equivalent to a loading stand in my terms.

Quote:
There's shouldn't be a need to remove the cylinder for loading using a push dowel of some sort if enough care is used.
Maybe a push dowel with a bit of extra "oomph" via a plastic mallet or some such device would compact the BP charge. Upon firing the revolver the projectiles must stay in place in order to make sure that the BP charge is still compacted.

Insofar as the OP's pepperbox kit gun, as I understand pepperboxes, there are 5/6 barrels on the gun that will still have to be loaded with a rammer of some type to make sure that the projectile stays firmly seated on the BP charge.

Jim
Old May 29, 2019, 10:21 AM   #62
noelf2

I can't see the benefit of conicals in these pepperboxes, but I haven't tried them. The most effective load in these is multi ball, or shot (IMHO).

Quote:
Personally, I would use an off-the-gun cylinder loading press like the Tower Of Power or similar.
I use a short starter, and I don't have any trouble loading patched round balls. Just like loading any c&b single shot. They stay seated fine, and so do wads and shot.

Quote:
I have several Pietta Navy .36 type revolvers, but the Pietta pepperbox is an answer to a question that should have not been asked in the first place.
Why? Is your preference the best, or something?

Quote:
One needs a carefully fitted screwdriver bit just to remove the cylinder from the arbor.
So, I actually have one of these, and I don't use a carefully fitted screwdriver bit, and I haven't boogered up the slot. I use pliers and the back side of a box cutter blade. So easy.
Old May 29, 2019, 06:17 PM   #63
blankcanvas

Thanks all for the guidance here. The reason I was considering conicals because i thought the additional length might hold the round in place even at a looser fit, and still give enough resistance upon firing. Ease of loading is my goal, not accuracy.
Old May 30, 2019, 09:07 PM   #64
woodnbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
UPDATE 4/10/2019 18:24 -- Received the order today, but the tracking number that Sportsman's Warehouse (SW) sent me is still "Label Created; Order Processed: Ready for UPS". UPS's site says that there are two packages in the shipment and the 2nd package actually moved through the UPS system between Salt Lake City and here and the other package just seems to have never moved / been picked up by UPS. I've tried twice sending SW an email, through their online "contact us" page, but they never responded. The package took 5 days longer than the initial quoted time.

In the end, I received 2 packages (apparently one for the primers and one for the powder), but when I look on the UPS website, it only shows one package as having been delivered and the other one waiting for initial pickup by UPS in Salt Lake City. Not exactly the best tracking experience that I've had with a company over the years. It also took 5 days longer than the original estimate. It's not that I mind it taking longer, I just prefer that when they say it will be there by a particular date, it actually *is* there by that date. And the length of time that it takes SW to respond to an email is completely unacceptable. Of course, I'm assume that *eventually* they might get around to responding to my emails. So, good price on the powder, but crappy customer service so far.

On a side note, I think this is the first time that I ever received a package with a HAZMAT sticker on it that actually said "EXPLOSIVES" on it. UPS guy was walking up my driveway and he said, "Expecting a package?". To which I replied, "Yeah, got my explosives?" And his response was a smile and said, "Here you go..." Texas... Gotta love it... A place where UPS delivers explosives and thinks nothing about it...

And to top it off, I was drinking a beer, so when he asked me to sign for it, I said, "No problem, hold my beer." Explosives delivery and the recipient say, "hold my beer"... Classic...
We need a “like” button here... I’m not laughing out loud but that was worth a chuckle. Texas... ;-)
Old May 30, 2019, 09:10 PM   #65
woodnbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankcanvas View Post
Thanks all for the guidance here. The reason I was considering conicals because i thought the additional length might hold the round in place even at a looser fit, and still give enough resistance upon firing. Ease of loading is my goal, not accuracy.
Exactly right because if accurate shooting was the goal you might have chosen a pistol with sights...

It’s great to live in a country that allows choices like this one and others!
Old May 31, 2019, 10:33 AM   #66
arcticap

There's a way to test if a conical or a patched conical is coming off the powder charge,
Just load 2 chambers and fire off the first shot.
Then the cap can be removed and a dowel inserted to check if the bullet has moved off of the powder charge

Then load two more chambers and fire off two shots, and then check to see if the bullet in the 3rd chamber moved.

Testing can proceed that way until all cylinders can be loaded and safety tested with a cylinder full of conicals, to check if the 6th bullet moved after the recoil from taking 5 previous shots.

The same type of testing can be done for loading patched balls or bare balls or multiple balls per chamber.