The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 10, 2007, 03:20 PM   #1
Offshootboy

Browning BAR assembly/disassembly

My Grandpa just gave me a Browning BAR 30-06 for my graduation. I started looking at it and I have no idea how to even start taking it apart. All I know is its about 20 years old, he won it at a deer hunters banquette and has only used it twice. So its in real good condition and I want to keep it that way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Freedom isn't free!
Old July 10, 2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Scorch

Assuming you know how to disassemble a firearm or have someone you know helping you, to disassemble for cleaning-
* Remove the screw that holds the trigger guard on and pull the trigger guard off. It will stay as a unit.
* Remove the screw that holds the forearm on. If someone has mounted sling swivels, it may look like a sling swivel, but unscrewing it will let you take the forearm off.
* Carefully remove the action spring by compressing it slightly and lifting the end clear of the retainer.
* Remove the action bars by lifting them off of the carrier and sliding them out.
* Remove the bolt handle by depressing the retainer and sliding the handle out of the notch. At this point, the bolt should lift out of the action.
* Clean thoroughly. Remember to use a cleaning rod with a bore guide when cleaning the barrel. You must clean from the muzzle. Scrub the action out as needed. Scrub the trigger group, but do not disassemble it.
* To reassemble, reverse the disassembly process. There are no "tricks" to it.
If you think you may have problems with the assembly, take pictures as you go.
Old July 11, 2007, 06:57 AM   #3
Offshootboy

What if there arent any screws for the trigger gaurd. This is where I'm running into a problem. No screws or pins that I can see except For where the sling goes and on the back of the stock.

Freedom isn't free!
Old July 11, 2007, 07:31 AM   #4
Jim Watson

You can get the owner's manual at
http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/bar_98355_om_s.pdf
It describes how to get into the gas system pretty much as Scorch says from his second line, there being no trigger guard pins or screws.

As I recall - I once lived next door to the town repair gunsmith and watched him at work some - the BAR has no exposed pins or screws and the action comes apart by taking off the buttplate, then unscrewing the big stock bolt to get the buttstock off. Everything then comes out the back of the receiver.

Getting that slick side look required some gimmicks, I recall it as a rather complicated gun that he did not like to work on. I would not take it any further apart than the above manual shows without instructions. There are
disassembly books available from the NRA and Krause, maybe one of them shows the BAR.

In the meanwhile, clean the bore carefully from the muzzle, or with a Boresnake, clean up the gas system as in the manual, and it will serve for a long time.
Old July 24, 2007, 10:17 PM   #5
jbrown

found them!

I found the directions for disassembly,if anyone else wants it,just let me know!
Old November 10, 2007, 11:28 AM   #6
all thumbs

Bar trigger assembly, removal

Hi J, If you see this message I desperately need assembly removal directions. Thanks.<[email protected]>
Old November 10, 2007, 12:56 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Blast from the past

This sporting gun is gas operated with a rotating bolt head that engages the shoulders of the barrel...sorta like the M16. And like the M16, the BAR's bolt head is attached to a carrier. Unlike the M16 (which is gas impingement operated as opposed to the gas operation of the BAR), the BAR's carrier rides on two parallel action bars which are attached to an intertia piece found underneath the barrel.

Upon firing, gases enter the gas port, filling the gas cylinder. Pressure drives the gas piston against the intertia piece which begins travelling rearward. This compresses the action spring and causes the action bars to travel rearward along the action bar (for want of a better term) path in the receiver. Because the bolt carrier is attached to the action bars, the bolt carrier also travels rearward and in doing so, cams the bolt, unlocking the bolt's multiple heads from the shoulders of the barrel.

As the bolt travels rearward, the extractor pulls the spent case from the chamber. Pressure acting on the base of the case from the ejector ejects the case from the ejection port. The bolt's rearward travel also causes the hammer to rotate back past the cocked position.

Now, pressure from the compressed action spring forces the inertia piece forward. This causes the action bars to begin their forward movement and with it, the bolt carrier assembly.

As the bolt travels forward, the hammer follows until it is arrested by the sear. Pressure from the magazine spring forces the magazine follower up and pushes a cartridge into the feed lips of the magazine. (Funny, but doesn't the rearward travel of the bolt actually pushes the cartridges into the magazine ever so slightly?) The bolt strips the awaiting cartridge from the magazine. As the cartridge rides up and along the breech face of the bolt, it slides beneath the extractor.

The bolt head then reengages the shoulders and the bolt's camming action locks the action; completing the chambering process and the firing cycle.

It is quite unlike the fixed stock FN-FAL or the M1918 BAR or M-16/AR-15 where there is a recoil spring or buffer in the stock.
That said and done, I guess the commercial BAR can be made into a bull pup hunting rifle.
Old November 8, 2008, 09:07 PM   #8
randall55belair

attention jbrown

Mr.Brown will you please send me those instructions for disassembly for the browning bar semi automatic.([email protected])

Thanks, Randall
Old November 9, 2008, 10:08 PM   #9
bonlives

Mr.Brown could you also send me that at ([email protected])
Also I have looked at some of the manuals posted and my bars dont have A "slide release lever", I know some of therm are at least from the 70s. Will those instructions still work. Thank you I will apriciate it I have alot of brownings that need a good cleaning.
Old November 10, 2008, 12:13 AM   #10
jbrown

any one who hasnt got it yet, email me.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:35 PM   #11
redseal119

I need them too

could you please send them to me also [email protected]
thanks
Old November 10, 2008, 11:55 PM   #12
jbrown

I am surprised at how many requests have come in in the last few days for the BAR instructions!
Old November 14, 2008, 08:32 PM   #13
Double J

Don't break the forearm.
Old December 3, 2008, 08:31 PM   #14
GAhunter88

I'd like a copy as well! I just got my BAR today! [email protected]

Thanks!
Old December 3, 2008, 10:32 PM   #15
GAhunter88

Well I got everything except the bolt. Can anyone tell me how to get the bolt out?
Old December 7, 2008, 03:50 AM   #16
jbrown

email sent
Old January 25, 2009, 07:20 PM   #17
nchunter

I'm interested in the BAR instructions also. Please email.

Thanks. [email protected]
Old August 16, 2009, 01:35 AM   #18
eddielogan2004

Belgium BAR 30-06

I have an older Belgium BAR 30-06 with the trigger assembly removal fromthe stock side. I need disassembly instructions. I can find them for the newer models but not mine. If someone has them please send them to me.

[email protected]
Old August 16, 2009, 09:40 AM   #19
MLeake

I'd also like a copy, thank you.

Picked up a 1981 vintage 7mm Mag, but have no manual for it. Thanks for the offer.
Old August 22, 2009, 08:46 PM   #20
KDO

B.A.R. disassembly instructions

Mr. JBrown,
I would appreciate the instructions for Assembly/Disassembly of the B.A.R. Please email to [email protected]
Thanks,
KDO
Old November 2, 2009, 10:00 PM   #21
deadeye1122

jamming 7mm mag

does anyone have jbrowns assy/ disassy link for BAR's? Emailed him and he has lost the link. Some other post do not seem the same as my rifle. Production year 1991. It appears the bullet is jamming in the barrel. locks up and when you get the unfired shell out it has a mark around the bullet just above the case neck as if the bullet base is to large. factory ammo,not reloads. any thought appreciated. thanks,deadeye
Old November 3, 2009, 07:54 PM   #22
Apache6

BAR Manual
Old November 3, 2009, 10:24 PM   #23
jbrown

Sorry,guys.I have searched everywhere for that set of instructions,I cant find it.However,I got them by asking Harley Nolden for them,just a few sections up.
Old November 4, 2009, 02:21 PM   #24
deadeye1122

jamming 7mm magnum

update, just came from the range. grabed a handfull off winchester shells from a friend and they shoot perfectly. loaded up the remmington's and they jammed up as I posted b-4. so the rifle works as supposed to. do I just have a bad box/lot of shells? measured the base of both brands .284. are the tolerances so close that a .00025 to .0005 would make a differance? also could you take some emery cloth and reduce the base of the remmington shell to at least shoot for practice? thx
Old November 11, 2009, 12:37 AM   #25
jnfphd

Barrel Removal

Does anyone have instructions for barrel removal?