The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2019, 10:40 AM   #76
FITASC

The construction of all of those retail "Lodges" ate their lunch and basically bankrupted them. They should have stayed a catalog store and just jumped in the deep end of online shopping early
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 16, 2019, 10:41 AM   #77
Reloadron

As of today (9-16-2019) Cabela's has Winchester Large Pistol Primers listed online at $34.99 per 1K. Matter of fact all of the Winchester are the same $34.99. I also checked at two local stores. Cabela's Columbus, Ohio and Cabela's Avon Lake Ohio and they sell for the same $34.00 so I have no idea where the $49.99 came from. Which retail store was it?

The only primers I see priced that high are the CCI BR series and that is pretty much true anywhere.

Ron
Old September 16, 2019, 11:58 AM   #78
Don Fischer

$49.99 came from Aug a year ago.
Old September 16, 2019, 01:28 PM   #79
Reloadron

$49.99 came from Aug a year ago.

Well Duh! I saw August and just stupidly assumed August as in last month and not last year. Now I see where and why the thread was resurrected.

Thanks Don
Ron
Old September 16, 2019, 10:01 PM   #80
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVirginian View Post
Well, resurrecting an old thread.

While I am not a giant fan of Cabela's, there are times when I stop in to see if there are any deals. The few times I do make a purchase, I always ask for my veteran discount and never expect to get it on reload stuff. Last week I asked again and got it on some Hornady ELD Match bullets. The cashier stated that they changed their policy due to all the negative feedback from customers

IF, that is true, it seems they listened. They are still high priced on many things but at least they altered their policy.
The restoration of the veteran’s discount would be a big deal to me. I had pretty much stopped dropping in, as I felt insulted that they removed a veteran’s discount. Don’t offer one...that’s your right...but don’t offer it then take it away. That pretty much smacks of “you are not valued”. I’ve been taking my business to Gander Outdoors...much farther drive, but they have really good sales and discounts, and ...I get a Good Sam club discount.
Old September 17, 2019, 06:55 AM   #81
jetinteriorguy

I'd much rather shop in a plain old building with decent prices, and not some clothing boutique full of stuffed animals and aquariums. When our local Cabelas opened a few years ago they were always putting various reloading components on sale, not anymore and I barely stop in more than a couple times a year if I happen to be in the neighborhood. I mean seriously, how many different kinds of camo clothing does a person need?
Old September 17, 2019, 06:28 PM   #82
caligula

Has cabelas lost their minds?

I live on the west coast of Washington state. The closest Cabelas is about 60 miles east of me. The only other retailer that stocks handloading components is The Dennis Co. about 5 miles away. Gunshops between me and Seattle aren't stocked with reloading stuff. The total sadness in this story is generic to our country. I paid Cabelas $36.oo a yea ago for 1k block of large pistol primers. This is now a penny more; next year it will be more. Individuals, like me can look for deals but the ultimate scenario is we are at the mercy of the big suppliers who will always set the base prices. Any independent outfit that sets up shop in my part of the world would have to turn more sales than the entire population of western Washington to make a fiscal profit. Considering that I shoot .45 Colt, adding things up: 5 cents/primer + 5 cents/charge of Titegroup + 13 cents/bullet = $11.50 per box of 50. Against $40.00/box this is winning.
Old September 17, 2019, 06:47 PM   #83
Average Joe

I do much better online, Cabella's is like Dicks to me....dead.
Old September 17, 2019, 07:09 PM   #84
Road_Clam

Last time I visited Cabelas the reloading component shelves were bare. It's only a matter of time before Cabela Pro drops reloading stuff completely. Their prices are WAY inflated. I shop my small LGS's, screw big corporate greed.
Old September 18, 2019, 02:59 AM   #85
Metal god

I always laugh when I see these primer threads . Now I get it if you're loading 9mm or something real common and cheap for factory stuff . Then it "may" matter but I load match rifle ammo and save anywhere from $.50 to $1.50 per round I load . It's just not a deal breaker for me if I only save $.48 to $1.48 per round instead of the former because primers cost more . They are only a few penny's per round regardless of the price and have virtually no impact on the cost of my reloaded rounds . I mean $100 for 1k would be stupid expensive but I'd still be saving a lot of money per round compared to factory ammo .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; September 18, 2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old September 18, 2019, 01:20 PM   #86
oley55

although not the best/lowest prices in the world, my local gun shows usually have a couple dealers solely dedicated to selling just powder/primers. Their marginally higher prices are still way cheaper than I would spend with hazardous shipping costs. Unless of course I were buying in volume.
Old September 18, 2019, 06:47 PM   #87
zeke

Would have to drive 30 miles just to buy primers of a brand i don't use. Am buying 5000-10,000 at a time on line, which lasts a while. The difference between $50/1000 and $30/1000 adds up real quick when it hits ya at one time.
Old September 18, 2019, 10:53 PM   #88
Metal god

Quote:
The difference between $50/1000 and $30/1000 adds up real quick when it hits ya at one time.
yeah I can see that if you're on a tight budget , that extra $20 can seem like a lot .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old September 19, 2019, 02:44 PM   #89
Reloadron

I still have primers from the early to mid 90s left from when my wife and I sold a gun shop business. Looking at 5,000 count boxes of CCI BR primers I had marked at $75.

Granted about 25 years ago but I am seeing CCI BR primers now at upwards of $60 per 1K.

Ron
Old September 20, 2019, 03:57 PM   #90
Unclenick
Staff

Sounds about right. I remember buying slips of 5,000 at well under $100 on Commercial Row at Camp Perry back then.

As near as I can tell, in normal storage primers never go bad, so stockpiling can be a reasonable thing when you spot a good price. The only downside might be future bans on lead styphnate primers being used at all. Also, technological advances might make them obsolete. But they'll always light up powder just fine.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 21, 2019, 03:57 AM   #91
J.G. Terry

Taking a stroll through the camo.

Taking a stroll through the camo: The local Cabella's has an extensive reloading section next to the Gun Library. All that stuff is in the back of the store when people have to walk through acres over price clothes. Around here they do or did buy guns. If you local Cabella's is like ours here I suggest your checking this out. Cabella's paid for their sins with me.

Last edited by J.G. Terry; September 21, 2019 at 04:15 AM.
Old October 14, 2019, 12:07 AM   #92
Grey_Lion

I was at the Fort Worth Cabellas just last week blowing an hour window-shopping and went through the reload and archery areas. Bags of 100 cleaned range brass for $32 - WTH?!? - package of 3 crossbow bolts for $65..... good grief.... how much are they charging to breathe the air?!? I left empty handed. I'll go elsewhere.
Old October 14, 2019, 08:46 AM   #93
Road_Clam

My guess is now that BP acquired Cabelas's they figure they have an industry monopoly so let's jack all the prices about 15% to absorb the acquisition cost. Typical big corporate 5 year plan. It won't work. Cabela Pro will end up in the loss column right along side Dick's if they are not careful...
Old October 15, 2019, 11:03 AM   #94
marchboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr6754 View Post
The restoration of the veteran’s discount would be a big deal to me. I had pretty much stopped dropping in, as I felt insulted that they removed a veteran’s discount. Don’t offer one...that’s your right...but don’t offer it then take it away. That pretty much smacks of “you are not valued”. I’ve been taking my business to Gander Outdoors...much farther drive, but they have really good sales and discounts, and ...I get a Good Sam club discount.
5% military discount? That much, huh? They should offer 10% on their overpriced items. If Home Depot and Lowe's can offer a 10% military discount, why can't Cabela's.
RSO
Old October 15, 2019, 11:19 AM   #95
FITASC

Quote:
My guess is now that BP acquired Cabelas's they figure they have an industry monopoly so let's jack all the prices about 15% to absorb the acquisition cost. Typical big corporate 5 year plan. It won't work. Cabela Pro will end up in the loss column right along side Dick's if they are not careful...
Bass Pro inherited over $1,000,000,000 in debt from Cabela's and that has to be made up somewhere.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 29, 2019, 07:24 PM   #96
rwilson452

Talk about old. I dug to the back of my cabinet and found a brick of large pistol primers and the tag on it for a sale price was $15.
Old October 29, 2019, 10:07 PM   #97
larryf1952

Quote:
...I dug to the back of my cabinet and found a brick of large pistol primers and the tag on it for a sale price was $15...
LOL! I just finished up a 1K box of Winchester LPP that I'd bought in 1998 that was marked at $12.95.

I must've gotten them at a gunshow. I don't remember them ever being that low. These days, I buy them at Scheels for $29.99 per K.
Old October 30, 2019, 05:48 PM   #98
Old 454

I get my primers at the Tulsa gun show.
There is a guy there that sells armscor primers at 100.00 per 5k.

Never had a problem with Armscor primers

I buy 25k to 30k at a time