The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2019, 04:37 PM   #26
Mal H
Staff

What a great site!

Using their data, it looks like my measurements are actually very close to what they came up with. Some are right on, and some are closer to their max length, but all are in the infield of the ballpark.
Old January 10, 2019, 05:07 PM   #27
Almostgem

Interesting article

I read an interesting article that dependent upon how reloads are stored, they can quickly change to where they are out of SAMMI spec - as a result of improper storage. It was an article where the writer had purchased the contents of a store and found some ammunition from a company that is now defunct. It explains what happens over time

http://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial...el-ammo/137747

My point I guess is that the OP, may be seeing the fps because of how long the ammo has been stored.
Old January 11, 2019, 10:32 PM   #28
Safaripolice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Speer still uses a 22" barrel as of #14. The reason I suggested IMR4320 is it was the only powder Hodgdon lists currently as getting about your velocity at your charge weight. IMR 4895, in Hodgdon's test barrel, would fall about 50 fps short after cutting the barrel down to 22". IMR 4350 with Hodgdon's max load of 58 grains (a compressed load) can't get there because the bullet is too light for its burn rate, so it can't build pressure against the bullet faster than it gets away down the tube (too rapid expansion).
Unclenick
What do you think of Varget powder
IMR 4895
H4895.

These are some of the number I’ve seen in his notes but there is books and books to cipher through. I know he had loads also for 6.5 Swede 6.5 carcano 7x57 and various other military rounds. I’m going to start pulling these cases and try comparing and seeing what the powder looks like. I don’t have a Swede or Mauser to test those with my chrono but I do have a carcano that I can test with my gun stand and string to pull the trigger. After all the post I’ve read now I’m doubting my uncle and he was a great marksmen, head of the local gun club a veteran and fellow LEO. I trust all his stuff but I have a wife and baby and can never be to safe.
Thanks and please let me know what those powders show if your quick load program.
Sal
Old August 17, 2019, 09:56 PM   #29
Safaripolice

It’s been a long time
I found his load load book and it was the old IMR 4064
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone.
Old August 18, 2019, 05:30 PM   #30
Sevens

Ha!

Someone else might be right...

But I was definitely right!
Old August 18, 2019, 06:00 PM   #31
RC20

Saari: Thank for checking back - good deal on the answer as well.

A couple of times I have had my head in the wrong place and was not sure what powder was in a hopper.

I knew what the possibles were and measure both the length and diameter (I use almost all stick) and with the color match had no issues with putting them in the right jug.

the caveats of course is you need a sample of the powder that was used at the time and be sure to measure 5 sticks to be sure what the variation is.
Old August 18, 2019, 08:30 PM   #32
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw. View Post
You simply cannot identify powders. Way to many variables. Its a fools errand. Pull them if you are not comfortable shooting then and reload with a known, published recipe of powder. Its not worth a lost hand, eye or worse to guess.
There is the only answer! Simply not worth the risk to try to determine what it is. Don't even think anymore about it. Count your finger's when you go to bed tonight and tomorrow you'll have the same number. Take a guess at it and you may still have the same number but then again maybe you won't. Simply not worth taking a chance. I've been reloading about 50 yr and can tell at a glance what a powder is. Ball, stick or flake. Beyond that, i'm clueless, so is every body else!
Old August 23, 2019, 02:52 PM   #33
BigCheese

Re: original post

Twice the OP mentions in post #1 "connulated" powder so it must not be a typo. I never heard this term; it is not in a dictionary or Wikipedia. What is this?
Old September 2, 2019, 08:29 PM   #34
hdwhit

Quote:
...I do have one hard and fast rule: do not shoot other peoples reloads.
Amen.